• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    My father in law and I were talking about how he needs a 1911 the other day and he said "I have some old ammo if you would like to shoot it."
    I said "Sure!"
    He goes back to the safe and hands me this!
    picture.php

picture.php

And Here is the head stamp.
    picture.php

From my limited research, this is OLD military surplus ammo.
    The Evansville Ordnance Plant closed in the late 30's from what I understand.
    I have come to believe that the head stamp reflects the year of manufacture
    It probably has corrosive primers, but I don't intend on NOT cleaning my gun after s range session anyway.

The question is: Is this worth something to a collector or should I just shoot it up?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That's a hard one to determine!

I'm inclined to think that due to the condition of the packaging, and the fact that the boxes are full (presuming?) that it'd be in the "collectible" category.

Get a rag and set about cleaning the creeping crud off the copper. Don't scrub it, just wipe it.

-J-

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If nothing else I am sure somebody would swap you a couple of new boxes of .45 for them. At least then you can shoot new, non corrosive ammo. It would be a shame just to shoot something like that up.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Don't clean it! Let it be. I'm sure sure it's worth something to somebody down here in southern Indiana. Exactly what, I'm not sure. Since it's not a more well known arsenal but rather a regional hoosier one, the Evansville stuff may sell for $25 to $50 to a WWII collector. Maybe more. Test the waters on gunbroker. It's a very neat piece of history and I'm sure there's not very many other full boxes of this stuff in existence. DON'T SHOOT IT. But it's yours to do with. It would be a Greek tragedy to see it wasted.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    If you havent already got the picture, dont shoot it. I will trade you THREE boxes of nice, new 45ACP for those two, old, dirty ones.

I can think of a few people that would love those, but I am not sure what a dollar amount on them would be.

Silvertree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    It doesn't surprise me. I have seen several people show up to shoot trap over the years with paper shells over the years, sometimes in boxes that look like they are right off the shelf. Congrats on your find.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Thanks for all the input.
    My initial thoughts were correct.
    I think tomorrow (Monday) I will put an ad in the ammo thread and trade it off to one of you lucky guys.
    :rockwoot:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I picked up a box of 38 ACP from the 1930's. After taking it to a couple of gun shows i got a nice trade offer from a guy that had a vintage 1908 pistol and wanted vintage ammo to go with it.

I had 5 dollars in the ammo (garage sale find) (I did ask if they had the gun for it) . I got a match 22 lr barrel 16 in t/c barrel for the ammo and 60 dollars.

Top Bottom