• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm not to sure if this fits in the section. But since we don't have a mortar section I'dd drop it here.

I've had this project for a while. I just haven't had time to tinker with it. Well J and i had some time to tinker this afternoon.

The mortar was machined by INGO's very own FreakForge. He did an awesome job. I cold blued finished it.

The base is fairly simple. I made the side plate removable. It all fits together tightly. It;s mostly glues and screwed together.

We painted it Hammer tone finish. It came out looking more like cast aluminum. The humidity was just to high today. I kind of like the finished look.

Hopefully this weekend we will get a chance to send a few golf balls to another zip code. I'll post more pics and maybe a video or two of the action when it happens.

Enjoy
    Larry

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I like how you made that base, both Simple yet practical.. I never saw a Coehorn base in layers before.. Is that how they were Historically made???? How do you adjust the elevation of that little beastie????

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I like how you made that base, both Simple yet practical.. I never saw a Coehorn base in layers before.. Is that how they were Historically made???? How do you adjust the elevation of that little beastie????

I believe typically they were fixed angle at 45 degrees. They were used for signaling. Not as a weapon. I am not trying to really hit anything. But there is some ability to tilt it. As for the base, mostly what I've seen is just a slab of wood. I am cheap. I just used some 2x4 I had laying around. The layered part was for simplicity. This really isn't trying to replicate anything historic. It's just a fun noise maker golf ball chucker. Being layered I can now easy disassemble and make the mortar in to something else. It seems pretty sturdy. Time will tell.

I have seen videos of these sending golf balls out of sight. it just seems like a lot of fun!

From your screen name I take it you are in to 1919's? I picked one up earlier this year. It's fun to shoot. What an awesome weapon.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I believe typically they were fixed angle at 45 degrees. They were used for signaling. Not as a weapon. I am not trying to really hit anything. But there is some ability to tilt it. As for the base, mostly what I've seen is just a slab of wood. I am cheap. I just used some 2x4 I had laying around. The layered part was for simplicity. This really isn't trying to replicate anything historic. It's just a fun noise maker golf ball chucker. Being layered I can now easy disassemble and make the mortar in to something else. It seems pretty sturdy. Time will tell.

I have seen videos of these sending golf balls out of sight. it just seems like a lot of fun!

From your screen name I take it you are in to 1919's? I picked one up earlier this year. It's fun to shoot. What an awesome weapon.

A nice simple yet effective little base, that is a cool design... Seems it should really take the abuse.. I like the "found around the house"
    materials you used....

Not all were signal guns, there have been a few Coehorns that have been shot in Anger over the years, Per the 1919, it is simply the Greatest machine gun ever made... Still in use in a few nations, as well its design is in use in this country in its bigger sister Ma -deuce..

A nice little thing, Browning took no royalties from the United States for making the 1919 and M-2... It was his gift for what the United states gave to him ...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    A nice simple yet effective little base, that is a cool design... Seems it should really take the abuse.. I like the "found around the house"
    materials you used....

Not all were signal guns, there have been a few Coehorns that have been shot in Anger over the years, Per the 1919, it is simply the Greatest machine gun ever made... Still in use in a few nations, as well its design is in use in this country in its bigger sister Ma -deuce..

A nice little thing, Browning took no royalties from the United States for making the 1919 and M-2... It was his gift for what the United states gave to him ...

Thanks for the kind words about the base I put together. I just winged it. It is solid. I wish the paint would have turned out better. I might strip it down and repaint it in the future.

I have a lot of guns, The 1919 s the one I really get excited to shoot. So much history behind the gun. Browning was a genius. The design is so well thought out. And it's contribution to warfare is legendary. It's one of several guns I doubt I will ever part with.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Thanks for the kind words about the base I put together. I just winged it. It is solid. I wish the paint would have turned out better. I might strip it down and repaint it in the future.

It looks like you could easily repeat the design.. Just keep it as is, and maybe keep your eye out for some vintage seasoned barn wood, that will look nice..

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It looks like you could easily repeat the design.. Just keep it as is, and maybe keep your eye out for some vintage seasoned barn wood, that will look nice..

I could easily make another. This was a easy fast build. I have a buddy that has some hand hewn barn beams. They are 6x6 I think. Those would be awesome for the popcan mortar. Probably over kill for the golf ball.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Awesome!

Actually coehorns have always been projectile lobbing weapons they fired powder filled time fused balls much like todays mortars. the barrel was fixed at a 45-50 degree angle and distances were determined by the lift charge. you would use a plumb bob to get you left to right dialed in and then you would charge it with however much powder was needed for that distance.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a buddy with a bowling ball mortar. It's made out of a acetylene tank. That is what most guy use. It's not a beginners project. I'd find a experienced builder.

Top Bottom