CMP Service Grade M1s available again...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Back in May, the CMP's website listed Field Grade and Service Grade M1 Garands 'sold out'. They had a terrible back log and wanted time to catch up.

Apparently yesterday, they made mail order sales of Service grade M1s available. If you want one of these symbols of 'the greatest generation', "the greatest battle implement ever devised"(...IKR, who can argue with General Patton?), I'd put an order in the mail soon. They are $730 including shipping delivered to your door. Most of the Service Grades being delivered recently are reparked, mixers with new CMP wood. They are not necessarily collectors; but, they would make fine shooters.

The collectors and parts resellers will be snatching these rifles up by the arm full. I doubt that they will last long.

The word from one of the folks in the know is:

We have not received anything from the Anniston Army depot in a long time. In my 10 years of working for CMP, Ive never seen such barren warehouses.

CMP is downsizing buildings. Combining the Store, shipping, finance and order processing into the airgun range in Anniston.

as of right now, we need to borrow a "the end is near" sign...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up. I called them and asked about the credentials needed to buy one.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    If you want one do it now! I'm gonna wait to see if some field grades get released.

I decided over the summer to pick up my first Garand. I really want a field grade but the rumors swirling around about how this is getting to be the last of the Garands makes me wonder if I can afford to wait. I don't want to be buying just for the sake of buying but it does make me wonder how much longer the current supply of Garands can last........

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    You are right, kedie. I have always liked the Field Grade option. Of my 6 M1s, 4 have been Field Grade and 2 have been Service Grade. My experience with Service Grade rifles is that they have new replacement stocks. Both of my Service Grade rifles came into my possession wearing those ugly, 'pumpkinwood' CMP stocks; the ones I have seen lately are in Walnut CMP stocks. That is fine for a shooter rifle; but, all of my FG M1s have had original or USGI replacement stocks. I prefer the 'been there done that' look.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    I've got 4 service grades and 1 field. 2 of the SGs came with USGI stocks, 2 with CMP wood. The field is my favorite though. That could be because it's a '42 Springer with a 10-'42 barrel and an uncut op rod in a bedded USGI stock.

VIETVET191

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Received my SG M1 last month. It was exactly what I wanted. Stock was original (lots of dings and dark) and I believe the barrel was original to the receiver. It's an H&RA dated early '53. Most internal parts are SA. It shoots like a dream.
    Would also suggest getting some surplus Greek ammo. I ordered a can with the rounds in the clips. Nothing wrong with it. Also they have very good service with the ammo. I ordered another can on 8/23 and it was on my doorstep on 8/26. At 60 cents a round and free shipping I thought it was pretty good.
    If you're a first time buyer, the paper work does seem a bit much. Once you're in the system, it's not as complicated. If I were teddy12b, I wouldn't wait too long.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Unfortunately, they just sold out of the cans of clipped HXP. All they have left is the loose and it isn't the cleanest.

You about gave me a heart attack when I read the first five words of your post. I thought you were posting that the Garands were gone again. I then read on and my heart started to beat normally. :):

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Got my package mailed off Thursday for another Garand. I bought one way back in the day that was a Danish return for $425.00.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I've been buying dirty ammo for my garand for a while, 8 hours in the tumbler and it turns out nicer than any factory new ammo I've been able to purchase. Also usually save about 50%.

Happy I picked up my garand when I did, last summer I got one of the service grades and it's a damn fun rifle. Definitely get one now if you have a chance, I was afraid they'd start running low last year.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I passed one up a few years ago, when I first starting collection. It was dumb, but I was 18.

Now a decade later, I did not want to miss this. So I ordered one. I dropped the form off in the mail the day after I read the first post. I received a beautiful M1 yesterday. So less than 3 weeks. I am one VERY happy customer.

Time to watch some WWII movies and Gran Tornio...

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I got mine Friday. Nice looking rifle, with a reproduction stock. I'll post some pics later.

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    What was your turnaround time? I put my order in 7 days ago and it hasn't hit the e-store yet.

My order was recieved at CMP on 9/7 per UPS tracking. Nothing in estore or email comfirmation yet.

Per the lady I talked to on Friday, they are still working in August papers (tail end of August though).

However, on their forums, people are claiming people that had their orders revieved after mine are getting shipped (not sure I believe that).

Top Bottom