• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    My gun is all stainless steel and is looks a bit dull and you can see tiny scratches on it. How can I clean it up a bit? I'm talking about the frame and not the internals. Also last time I cleaned it after shooting I used brake cleaner on the frame insides in the Maxwell and trigger assembly then sprayed it down with rem oil. Would the brake cleaner affect the springs?

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    well mine is silve i dont know if itll mess it up

Posted 28 December 2008 07:57 PM 28 December 2008 07:57 PM well i finally got my new phone so i took some pictures of my gun. i cleaned it up a lil bit the other day.

here it is with the houge hand-all grip
    IMG00018-20081228-1734.jpg

IMG00020-20081228-1737.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I asked a similar question on another forum about the stainless slide on my Taurus. General consensus was that Hoppes 9 or other cleaner would get off the grime.

As far as polishing, I think the steel wool or tooth paste method would work, but make sure you know what sort of finish you are after. I personally like the "matte" stainless finish rather than a more polished look, but that's just me.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I recommend that you use Flitz Metal Polish. It is super fine and will not scratch. Safe for plexiglass too. I have a friend that set down in front of the TV and polished and polished. He achieved a mirror finish on his Stainless Steel Pistol.

Flitz works. It is expensive, but buy a small tube. It goes a long way.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I asked a similar question on another forum about the stainless slide on my Taurus. General consensus was that Hoppes 9 or other cleaner would get off the grime.

As far as polishing, I think the steel wool or tooth paste method would work, but make sure you know what sort of finish you are after. I personally like the "matte" stainless finish rather than a more polished look, but that's just me.

i just want the regular finish it has. i like the silver finish but i just want to clean it up since it looks very dull.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'd go with the Hoppes first, and see where it gets ya. Just about any polishing you actually do will brighten it.

Someone also mentioned in my post that using a pink pencil eraser helps get rid of some stubburn marks, not sure about scratches.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I recommend that you use Flitz Metal Polish. It is super fine and will not scratch. Safe for plexiglass too. I have a friend that set down in front of the TV and polished and polished. He achieved a mirror finish on his Stainless Steel Pistol.

Flitz works. It is expensive, but buy a small tube. It goes a long way.

I second the Flitz or Semi Chrome either one.

After polishing plexi glass you can get the last little "fuzz" and a lot of scratches out of it with a torch if you are real careful.

A how to with the torch on plexiglass.
    Indiana Hunting Forums :: View topic - View Screen Scratch Repair

Top Bottom