How to clean/remove light scratches from a Sig's slide?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I have an SP2340 with a few very light scratches on the slide I would like to clean off. I can't stress how light they are, they are very minor surface marks I would really like to remove. Anyone have any ideas? It's the factory black finished slide.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    rustoleum-cfk.jpg
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    The finish on all the flat black Sigs I've owned is pretty east to mar or scratch. Attempts at repairing them yourself will look worse than the minor damage. If it's refinished you'll just have the same issue down the road.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Tooth paste works. So does Flitz. But with all finishes other than raw steel rub too hard and you'll rub off the finish. But you already knew that.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Toothpaste? I have a BDE and it's getting holster marks and scratches from this cheapy holster. I was thinking of asking this very thing, but toothpaste? And how do you know when too much is, well, too much?

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Toothpaste? I have a BDE and it's getting holster marks and scratches from this cheapy holster. I was thinking of asking this very thing, but toothpaste? And how do you know when too much is, well, too much?

I just squeezed a pea-sized amount onto the tip of my index finger, and took it to the slide in light to medium pressure circular motions. Cleans right off with some Hoppe's #9 powder solvent. You'll have to do this three or four times, (maybe more depending upon severity), but this will work! I was surprised and I'm ecstatic that my Sig looks good as new again!

Top Bottom