• ...and so much more!
  • danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I bought some gently used US surplus ammo cans (840 round 5.56) tonight, and they've been painted on with what appears to be black spray paint. I'd really like to remove that without damaging the original military marking. Any ideas? Aside from that, they look great.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    When I buy Lake City 30-06 from CMP it comes in cans that have been spray painted over. I used some paint thinner on a rag and rub the spray paint until it comes off. Wipe it over the spray paint and let it sit for a few seconds then rub. Be careful not to rub too hard or else it will work down into the markings on the can. That's the method that worked for me.

I have also read that mineral spirits works and I would be willing to guess that it would not be as risky to the original markings...

If you want to read more, browse through this thread here:
    CMP Discussion Forum - Removing Tip Paint

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for the tip,I've tried mineral spirits, but they don't seem to cut it. Next stop paint thinner, I'll let you know how they turn out.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Well, I used a scotch-brite pad and some mineral spirits, that worked out pretty well. I scrubbed gently as I could see the black spray paint lifting quickly, but I got into the yellow military markings a little, after I finished cleaning them up I used some quick-detailer called Dri-Wash and gave them a nice light smooth finish. Turned out pretty well. Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom