Civilian car that looks exactly like a police car...how close can it replicate?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Why anyone would intentionally make their car look like a police car is beyond me. I understand those who buy retired police cars on the cheap, but I'm talking about the ones who add stuff to further the trickery. Driving a marked car is a pain in the butt when you're just trying to get from A to B. Brake tapping and 5-10mph under the speed limit sure is fun when you just want to get home.

So I got pulled over several years ago by a fake police officer. I figured something was up when I saw his "uniform" but his car looked authentic enough, plus, there are several wanna be officers who put a spotlight on their car but most wouldn't be that bold. Once I got a closer look though I was VERY nervous and it was before I made the transition to armed citizen so i was basically at his mercy. He very quickly warned me about my speed and told me to get on my way. Never asked for ID or anything. I called 911 and they nailed him in a couple of minutes. Anyone crazy enough to impersonate an officer AND pull people over on the side of the interstate isn't someone who should be mixing with the general public.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Why anyone would intentionally make their car look like a police car is beyond me. I understand those who buy retired police cars on the cheap, but I'm talking about the ones who add stuff to further the trickery. Driving a marked car is a pain in the butt when you're just trying to get from A to B. Brake tapping and 5-10mph under the speed limit sure is fun when you just want to get home.

I'll second that. Several years ago, I bought a former South Bend PD Harley Road King -- black and white. No red/blue lights, no POLICE markings ... but with my black leather jacket and white half-helmet with a shiny Harley Davidson sticker smack on the front of it, anytime I pulled out into traffic EVERYBODY SLOWED DOWN. I could never get anywhere in a hurry.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I can think of a few reasons;
    Two men arrested after fake road block incident on New Jersey highway | 7online.com
    New Jersey Police Warn Of Carjackings By Fake Cops On Turnpike « CBS New York

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've seen plenty of cop cars here in IN with no Police plate, just the regular one. He may also have been a KY constable or something similar.

Also there's a lawn service (Brinkmans?) that uses sheriff's patterned trucks. Brown Fender and Bed paint with tan doors.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I imagine passing would not be a problem, and people would move out of the left lane pretty quick

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I see cars that people obviously went out of their way to make look like a police car. They know exactly what they're doing.

I can only make a single assumption of them: They are ******* drivers that want no obstructions in the passing lane.

Granted, I don't either... but I'm not going to dress my car up to look like a cop for it.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    This is why all police vehicles used for patrol and traffic should NOT be any sort of 'stealth' model with hidden lights, etc.

Other than specific undercover vehicles (some times 'private' / impounded vehicles are utilized) all departmental vehicles should be clearly marked (signage / insignia, lighting, and so forth) as police vehicles. This would include all vehicles used for official police business.

Typically in disagreement with lots (most?) LEO's, IMHO there should be NO 'stealth' police vehicles making stops. No unmarked (or what appears to be unmarked) cars, no Camaros, Mustangs, Corvettes, Lamborghini, etc. The citizenry should be able to readily discern that it is a Police vehicle.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I had a Crown vic for a while that came with a push bar up front. Was a great car for hauling equipment to job sites. Never did know how fast I was going after the rear end swap. People were for ever passing me on the interstate, but many many cops would wave as we passed on the streets.

Push bar came in handy when I pushed a buddy's car up his driveway :)
    Do I get points for taking the handcuffs off the spotlight when I bought it?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I had a Crown vic for a while that came with a push bar up front. Was a great car for hauling equipment to job sites. Never did know how fast I was going after the rear end swap. People were for ever passing me on the interstate, but many many cops would wave as we passed on the streets.

It depends on what you did with those handcuffs.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I drive a retired brown and tan from the Morgan CO. Sheriff's office. Paperwork says I bought it from Bloomington Ford and at the time I bought it, the bumper covers were black, not body colored, which does not duplicate the color scheme of any IN LE agency.

I took the spot light off because A) its beam was weak sauce, B) the linkage was broken so I couldn't swing it side to side, and C) it messed with my aerodynamics.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

You weren't trying to do a PIT maneuver on your buddy's car were you?

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    This is why all police vehicles used for patrol and traffic should NOT be any sort of 'stealth' model with hidden lights, etc.

Other than specific undercover vehicles (some times 'private' / impounded vehicles are utilized) all departmental vehicles should be clearly marked (signage / insignia, lighting, and so forth) as police vehicles. This would include all vehicles used for official police business.

Typically in disagreement with lots (most?) LEO's, IMHO there should be NO 'stealth' police vehicles making stops. No unmarked (or what appears to be unmarked) cars, no Camaros, Mustangs, Corvettes, Lamborghini, etc. The citizenry should be able to readily discern that it is a Police vehicle.

I understand (and agree) with most everything you've said... however, understand that not all law enforcement officers are PATROLMAN.
    Yes, in almost every agency (that I know of), your every day patrolman that does traffic stops and responds to calls for service
    will be in a fully marked police car.

Don't forget about your Special Operations units, Detectives, Supervisors, Admin, etc.
    99% of Police agency Crown Vic's that are "unmarked" aren't trying to be stealthy, rather, the LEO driving it is assigned different duties
    that may require activating lights and sirens for emergencies but otherwise does not conduct or make traffic stops regularly.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I had a plain white trailblazer with a bull bar on the front. No lights or anything like that but people would sure get out of my way on 465 when they saw me coming...I miss that truck

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Back in the late 80's, I bought a used 1983 Oldsmobile 88.
    It was white with a vinyl top, and the fake wire wheel hubcaps.

The vinyl top leaked so I removed it, fixed the rust and painted the top white.

The fake wire wheel hubcaps rattled, so I replaced them with standard pop on Olds hubcaps I got from the junkyard.

The tires wore out, so I replaced them with some T/A Radials I'd saved from another car.
    They were white letter, so I turned the white lettering inside so it was just black sidewall.

In those days, I ran a CB radio with a magnet mount K40 antenna I mounted center in front of the trunk.

I SOON REALIZED that on the Interstate, this car was often mistaken for an unmarked police car, though that was NEVER my intention.

As I drove down the road, I'd hear the truckers commonly pass on "that white Olds, he's clean" over Channel 19, which was apparent if you saw it up close.

But a lot of people did move over for me, which was good.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Handcuffs were used in the M5:flasher::ladiesman:

No, pushbar was used when his engine died and needed it pushed in his garage - his gravel driveway was about 4" lower than his garage floor.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis

Google Wayne Williams.
    A fake cop car was a hobby of his when he was free in Atlanta.

Top Bottom