• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    I just got off the phone with him and I said, "If someone were to come to the gun buy back and IF they were to do a legal face to face transaction with someone waiting in line, what would the Gary PD say or do?". His response was "Honestly Mike, I know it is legal to do a face to face transaction, but I wouldn't advise trying to do it. There is the possibility that a lot of stolen guns could show up, and I wouldn't want anyone to get burned.". He said he is not sure what other officers would do, but he is just of the opinion that there is to much of a risk of a law abiding citizen getting a stolen or illegal weapon. I did tell him that if he came across a 1911 ($50) I would give him $100 and I would give him $150 for an AR :).

So did he happen to mention if we would be brutally beat or not? Frankly I wouldn't mind if its frowned upon and they don't like it, but anybody that knows GPD knows that they are "above the law" and are on their own agenda.

BaseDeltaZero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    South Bend
    I have witnessed LEOs and FBI coming out to the steel mill and dumping firearms, drugs, etc into the pots of molten iron and steel to dispose of them. It is such a waste.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    How can they "buy back" something that was not owned by them in the first place. Did any of the guns get purchased by an individual from the City of Gary at some point in the past?

The problem I have with these deals is the arrogance shown by the government that they are "buying back" anything.

How about an old car "buy back" program. I could get into that. Oh wait, they did that too.......

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Lansing, MI is having a gun buy-back Saturday. A bunch of people are going with signs and cash offering to buy the (good) guns before the police get them.

The mayor wanted to raise $50,000 for this from local businesses. Then he dropped it to $25,000. Then $10,000. I think they ended up with about $8K from someplace. $100 in Meijer cards is the price being paid. We're paying cash.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Is there an online database to look up stolen firearms on? You could setup a table with laptop and Internet access and check before you buy.

Nope. Only LEOs have access to a database with stolen/used in crime & recoverd by LEO.

BY the gary porgram is
    $50 for handgun
    $75 fot shotgun
    $100 for "assullt rifle"

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    The biggest problem you will run into in gary is that it is a very high crime area. I am all about going to these and trying to get good deals, but i'm not sure if I would take a chance in gary. Call me chicken or cautious, but it isn't worth the ammount of trouble you might get into if you end up with an illegal weapon.

BaseDeltaZero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    South Bend
    How do you as a law abiding citizen check to see if a gun is reported stolen?

If there was a quick way to do it, buy the gun and check if it stolen. If it is, walk across the street and sell it to the LEOs for what you have in it.

Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    Can anyone with a good knowledge of Gary tell me where the farthest south and safest drop off spot would be?

I've got two junk pistols I've been wanting to cut up and throw away for years. These things are off brand hand me downs from my grandfather that are mechanically unsafe and not worth repairing. I'll be taking the cards right to Wal-Mart and buy ammo for an afternoon of shooting fun with my son and grandson.

The gun drop-off locations are: Gary Christian Center, 3673 Broadway; Grace Unity Church of God in Christ, 3435 W. 21st. Ave.; Trinity Missionary Baptist Church, 1831 Virginia St.; Victory Overcomers Outreach Ministries, 4400 Delaware St.; Marquette Park United Methodist Church, 215 N. Grand Blvd.; and Beyond 4 Walls Church, 875 S. Lake St.

I know I could look up each location on-line to find the one farthest south but with not being familiar with the area I don't know about the safest.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    3673 Broadway would be my choice. 4400 Delaware is techcnically further south, but Delaware isn't really a main(or nice) street. Get right of I80/94 on Broadway and you are right there.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've got two junk pistols I've been wanting to cut up and throw away for years. These things are off brand hand me downs from my grandfather that are mechanically unsafe and not worth repairing. I'll be taking the cards right to Wal-Mart and buy ammo for an afternoon of shooting fun with my son and grandson.

Heh, that was my very first thought when I heard about this. Find some old broken/worthless guns, get some gift cards, use them to buy a nice rifle or a bunch of ammo. Hell I was up at the Walmart in Plymouth a few days ago and they've started carrying AR's. Good times.

Top Bottom