• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fleetdefender94

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2020
    Corydon
    I may have an opportunity to purchase one of these from a buddy for a reasonable price, but I'm not sure what reasonable is in this market. I am kind a familiar with AKs, but haven't owned one before. Anything I need to know or avoid?

I know they are built to last and be easily serviced, but the are the Chinese ones really that good?

Oh, and it is .223. I knew those existed, but wasn't sure if there were any problems with a rifle designed for a bigger cartridge going small like that. Feeding problems, undergassed issues, things like that.

Thanks, INGO.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Personally, I dont see a point in buying any firearm that only does .223. I also don't see a point to an AK in anything other then 762x39.

So at any price id say it's a bad deal.

To quote my favorite movie:
    "Not with my money, not with my money!"

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    What make and model is it? All of the Chinese and imported AK's are increasing in value and are worthwhile investments for anyone getting one at a decent price.

If you're not a buyer I certainly know someone who is. ;)

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Chinese MAK in .223, very nice, especially if an under folder or side folder, biggest issue is MAGAZINES, 30 rd POLYTECH magazines, or NORINCO magazines, can be expensive and hard to find. Hang in there the
    INDYKID will be along shortly and what he doesn't know abut Chinese AK's you will have to travel to Beijing to find out.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    You won't have any problems with it shooting. If you are mainly going to have AR's, going the 223 route makes sense.

The Chinese AK's are high quality in general, there's a number of different ones and as STEEL CORE mentioned, the mags for the Polytech's etc. are harder to find and expensive. But in general it should function reliably and be fun to shoot.

fleetdefender94

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2020
    Corydon
    I checked with my friend. It looks like the receiver is marked for both .223 and 5.56x45 so that makes sense. He also has a few mags for it. I havent actually seen it yet. He says it worked great the last time he shot it which was a fiew years ago. Sat in a safe ever since.

This will be a purchase/trade scenario that we'll both help each other for work. We'll probably ballpark the gun value at $750 for now. We both know that the market right now is inflated for this, but we also both have other blak rifles. I do like that it would shoot the same ammo as my ARs.

Sent from Tapatalk.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    SHHHHHHHH $750 for an 5.56, Chinese uunder folder and a few 30 round matching magazines is a STEAL.

I have the full stock version, matching mags and box, with sling, bayo, and oil bottle.

Again give the "KID" (He must be taking a nap), tie to find this post, ad you'll get al the info you'll ever need.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    At $750 you could triple your money the very next day... anything under $2,000 for a 5.56 Norinco or Polytech is an absolute steal in today's market.

If it's a legit 84s they were only imported for one year. If it's a Poly they demand even more.

fleetdefender94

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2020
    Corydon
    Well it's hard for me to wrap my head around an AK being worth that much, but it looks like I'm going to be doing some extra work for it. I 've always wanted a nice AK and it sounds like this might be one of the nicer ones.

We 're good friends so we want to do right by each other.

Sent from Tapatalk.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Thanks for the heads up STEEL CORE, was out on my bicycle.

He is correct, there are many variations of the Chinese AK in .223/5.56x45.

First, Poly Tech AKS-223 or Norinco 84S, MAK-90, NHM90, or BWK92

The Poly Tech and 84S were pre-Bush1-ban and were available in standard wood fixed stock and underfolding stock. The Poly Tech was also available as a sidefolder with orange plastic furniture, Norinco side folder 84S-5A has black plastic folding stock. The 84S-3A is a NATO length fixed black plastic stock set.

MAK-90s and the NHM90 were available with the Bush-hole stock over either a standard receiver, designed for underfolder receiver, and a receiver that was slant cut to make it harder to install an evil pistol grip with standard stock. The BWK92 was only imported with standard fixed stock receiver.

All are excellent shooters with my 84S-1 being my most accurate of my AK collection. The only problems I have had have been ammo related. Bought a case of junk Tula .223 polymer coated steel that were so under loaded many rounds failed to eject, and the ones that did the case was so cold you could catch them coming out of the breech and not burn your hands. They were problems in any of my .223/5.56x45 rifles.

As expensive as mags are, $750 for any variation is a great deal.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Well it's hard for me to wrap my head around an AK being worth that much, but it looks like I'm going to be doing some extra work for it. I 've always wanted a nice AK and it sounds like this might be one of the nicer ones.

We 're good friends so we want to do right by each other.

Sent from Tapatalk.

Had to address this separately. It is hard to believe that AK variants have gone up so much in the land of shall not be infringed, but the fact that the second amendment has been stomped on by ATF as directed by George Bush the First, before him Lyndon B. Johnson, and after him by william jefferson clinton, the prices of AK variants have skyrocketed.

More so the Chinese rifles which were banned by clinton by name. With the last Chinese imports in 1994, and more people getting into the AK, supply and demand hits hard. Fixed supply because all that are in this country are all that can be in this country, and a rising demand as many people get into the sport has cause the Chinese rifles to skyrocket in value in the last few years.

The sad thing is something a friend told me several years ago during his deployment to the sand box. Knowing how much I like AKs, he verified the internet joke that over there you can buy a real deal AK that we are not allowed to own in spite of shall not be infringed, for the cost of a chicken and a loaf of bread. The then told me how much fun he had with one before he was forced to destroy it.

Something I didn't mention in my other reply, the Chinese had arguably the best trigger feel of any factory imported AK variant. They were among the best.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I would run for that deal, cash in hand, literally right now. My generally undesirable Century underfolding Yugo is going for about a grand these days. $750 for a Norinco is straight theft. There are a couple on GB right now, starting at $2k.

My biggest personal hitch with it is that I wouldn't want to use a $2k-3k AK "like an AK". I'd stuff it in the safe and go find a cheap WASR to dump ammo through when the market relaxes. Norincos are always going to be worth something since they have been banned from importation for nearly 30 years now.

fleetdefender94

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2020
    Corydon
    Thanks for the info, INGO. This really helps.

We'll see if I like it. If I don't, my friend and I will just work something else out for the next gun.

Good stuff.

fleetdefender94

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2020
    Corydon
    So it is a Poly Technologies AKS-223. Really good condition with a couple mags. Havent shot it yet.

Can someone confirm it shoots both .223 and 5.56? After some googlefu I'm pretty sure it does.

Anything I should know about it? Ended up being about $1500 in value to my buddy and about $1k in cash and work from me. Seems fair.

I like some kind of optic on a rifle but this also does seem like it collectable. Anything I can do that wont screw up the value?

Thanks INGO

Sent from Tapatalk.

Devilpig

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2018
    Northeast Indy
    Price is good, and it will fire 5.56 just fine. Any Polytech at this point in time typically almost always going for over $2000. As far as ammo, from what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong), when importing weapons they stamp .223 instead 5.56 due to import rules and the sporting purpose whatnot, maybe that doesn't apply if this is preban? For the scope, about the only thing you can do without harming value is find an ultimak railed gas tube, or use a Texas Weapon Systems BDM or the Dogleg and just keep the original parts. Personally, I wouldn't, but it ain't my rifle. For max giggle put a zhukov stock on it in addition to the optic and post in AK forums.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    That's a great price. These go for $2,500+ easily depending on condition and accessories. Proprietary mags are spennnnndy. You can rock and roll with .223 and 5.56. In my experience Chinese AK fans really don't like alterations, so as long as you don't cut/drill/weld/hack/paint or otherwise permanently alter the gun, it'll hold its value. Shooting it will technically depreciate the thing but unless you plan to immediately flip it that's no big deal. And if you plan to immediately flip it, well then you're not much a buddy to the guy selling it to you for so cheap.

If you like optics, check out the AK Master Mount. It's a solid, quality accessory that doesn't rely on any permanent modifications to the gun, and will allow you to use a side-mounted optic (obviously though, you won't be able to fold the stock with a mounted optic). The Master Mount goes on in about 15 minutes. I have one of the earlier-gen aluminum versions for an older Chinese gun and love it.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Great buy on a great rifle.

Like the others are saying, do not do anything to that collectible rifle that cannot be undone or that damages the rifle (see cannot be undone ;) )

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Great buy on a great rifle.

Like the others are saying, do not do anything to that collectible rifle that cannot be undone or that damages the rifle (see cannot be undone ;) )

I wish I would have known this 25 years ago.

I bought a MAK-90 for $350 back when I thought I could never afford one of those fancy AR rifles.

I really couldn't stand the hideous orange stock, so I stripped it down and re-stained it a nice brown color and finished it with a couple of coats of polyurethane.

Who knew? :dunno:

Top Bottom