• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Except for their brief tiff with Vietnam in the 70s, the Chinese are more used to providing insurgents with weapons and training than they are fighting on a battlefield themselves. Considering their attempts to bully their western pacific neighbors, maybe the Chinese government is thinking about getting some actual battlefield experience for their army before they have to go up against the Russians again.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Except for their brief tiff with Vietnam in the 70s, the Chinese are more used to providing insurgents with weapons and training than they are fighting on a battlefield themselves. Considering their attempts to bully their western pacific neighbors, maybe the Chinese government is thinking about getting some actual battlefield experience for their army before they have to go up against the Russians again.

Who knows? Maybe they will make us an offer to do it for them in exchange for erasure of part of the debt?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

There was Korea, of course.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    There was Korea, of course.

I'm an "old guy" now, but Chinese participation in the Korean War predates even my Vietnam Era experience. The Russians have all sorts of current combat-experienced troops via their current entanglement in Chechnya and we have a whole new generation of troops with extensive combat experience via Iraq and Afghanistan. Even the private-equivalents of the last Chinese adventure into Vietnam in the late 70s are long past military service age by now. Unless they've been clandestinely fighting the Russians in Manchuria or providing troops to the jihadis (unlikely), they don't have any troops with combat experience - internal policing experience, yes, combat, no. While "quantity has a quality all its own", nothing substitutes for combat experience when you're planning/executing a war.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm an "old guy" now, but Chinese participation in the Korean War predates even my Vietnam Era experience. The Russians have all sorts of current combat-experienced troops via their current entanglement in Chechnya and we have a whole new generation of troops with extensive combat experience via Iraq and Afghanistan. Even the private-equivalents of the last Chinese adventure into Vietnam in the late 70s are long past military service age by now. Unless they've been clandestinely fighting the Russians in Manchuria or providing troops to the jihadis (unlikely), they don't have any troops with combat experience - internal policing experience, yes, combat, no. While "quantity has a quality all its own", nothing substitutes for combat experience when you're planning/executing a war.

What extensive combat experience did our guys have when we went into Iraq and Afghanistan? Did it stop us?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    And India.

China's not really into the overseas military thing like we are. They'll spread influence where they can economically or diplomatically. They'll try to intimidate competitors for South China Sea oil, or the governments in Taiwan or Japan.

But they're very unlikely to stage any Desert Storm ops against Mutha Russia, Tom Clancey fantasies notwithstanding.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not for me. Selling the lives of our soldiers to pay off part of our national debt is not a good option. Let the Chinese have the whole headache. If they want to pay for soldiers they can hire mercenaries.

Please note that I did not endorse the idea. I would simply not be surprised to see it introduced.

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    I think the article totally missed what China is up to. Just ask what is China going around the word trying to get its hands on so they can control them, and what does Afghanistan have that nobody, at least in great amounts is bringing out. Then read this article.

Afghanistan Holds Enormous Bounty of Rare Earths, Minerals: Scientific American

China is bent on controlling as many raw minerals world wide as possible, for leverage and for it's own economic and weapons development.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I think the article totally missed what China is up to. Just ask what is China going around the word trying to get its hands on so they can control them, and what does Afghanistan have that nobody, at least in great amounts is bringing out. Then read this article.

Afghanistan Holds Enormous Bounty of Rare Earths, Minerals: Scientific American

China is bent on controlling as many raw minerals world wide as possible, for leverage and for it's own economic and weapons development.
    Not unlike what Japan did prior to WWII.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    You mean other than the Republic of China invasion plans that they redraw every month?:D

Didn't happen in 1949, and in 1950 the 7th Fleet moved in.

I'm sure we have plans to invade Cuba someplace. Whoops! Already happened, my bad...

I think the article totally missed what China is up to.

Um. Sounds like something we might try to do as well. If our policy makers had had the foresight to realize that rare earths were an economic chokepoint...

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    The bear and the dragon.

That was a truly pathetic offering from Clancey. He should have been embarrassed to have his name on the cover, but if it sells... It was painfully obvious he had no idea what contemporary China is like, his depictions were straight out of 1968. Or the 1930s, circa Buck Rogers and Ming the Merciless.:):

I bought a copy of this sad novel in Guangzhou, China.

Strange how Clancey did not address Chinese anti-sat or cyber warfare. And boy did the Russians come off like nice guys, just like Texans. Please.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    What extensive combat experience did our guys have when we went into Iraq and Afghanistan? Did it stop us?

Can't speak to Afghanistan because that was largely a SOCOM operation, but the guys who went into Iraq the first time had experience in Bosnia and some had experience in Panama. In 2003, the planners had had experience going into Iraq the first time and there was a pretty good leavening of troops who'd been there the first time. Does that make a difference? It seems to; the Germans handed us our butts in North Africa until we gained battle experience, but we'd caught up by the end of the war. When the Korean War came around, the only reason US troops got pushed back to Pusan was the relative numbers of North Koreans they were facing. My point to all this is that troops and troop leaders with combat experience tend to not make the same kinds of mistakes that even well-trained neophytes make. That can make a difference in a battle, if not in a prolonged war.

Added: While there is always a danger for planners to try to "fight the last war", battlefield experience helps smooth out some of the more difficult issues facing a field army; e.g. logistics management. A plus with the Afghan campaign, in my view, is that the military is discovering the limitations of the intermediate cartridge that worked pretty well in Vietnam and in the close-quarter-battlefield that was primarily seen in the Iraqi occupation, but seems a tad inadequate at the longer ranges involved in mountainous terrain.

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Can't speak to Afghanistan because that was largely a SOCOM operation, but the guys who went into Iraq the first time had experience in Bosnia and some had experience in Panama. In 2003, the planners had had experience going into Iraq the first time and there was a pretty good leavening of troops who'd been there the first time. Does that make a difference?

What's that add up to, about a week, at the most?

It seems to; the Germans handed us our butts in North Africa until we gained battle experience, but we'd caught up by the end of the war.

Not quite the same, is it?

When the Korean War came around, the only reason US troops got pushed back to Pusan was the relative numbers of [STRIKE]North Koreans[/STRIKE] Chinese they were facing. My point to all this is that troops and troop leaders with combat experience tend to not make the same kinds of mistakes that even well-trained neophytes make. That can make a difference in a battle, if not in a prolonged war.

Fixed it.

Added: While there is always a danger for planners to try to "fight the last war", battlefield experience helps smooth out some of the more difficult issues facing a field army; e.g. logistics management. A plus with the Afghan campaign, in my view, is that the military is discovering the limitations of the intermediate cartridge that worked pretty well in Vietnam and in the close-quarter-battlefield that was primarily seen in the Iraqi occupation, but seems a tad inadequate at the longer ranges involved in mountainous terrain.

The U.S. military has a bad habit of wanting a single platform to be all things to all people.

Top Bottom