Chevrolet unveils its biggest, most powerful V8 engine.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Well we are talking street here for the most part.
    How big is musey building them these days.

The factory never gives you everything man. They never do.

They NEVER do!
    Just like a 302 Boss only made 290 HP :rolleyes:

I've been around door slammers a little bit,
    For instance the 268 CI V-6, FI/Turbo car that was taking NHRA pro stock, so quick NHRA rule booked it to death... (Buddy Ingersoll)

I was doing some quick math, and on PUMP GAS this isn't bad!
    Its not like 93 octane is going to do all that great...

I'm thinking some sweet gas, some spray, a day on the dyno for ignition & jetting...
    Or just get it over with, slap a blower on top with fuel injection and get it over with!
    That big dumb hunk of aluminum solves a crap load of top end problems.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    She was definitely hooking that day. I know several people who have had those Camero's and it kind of seems like 14wx32 tire is all that can be stuffed under them without modifying the quarter panels.
    When we first built the T-bird we ran 16.5wx33's and stuck with those for several years. Back then it was a 4 link back half car. For the first couple years we absolutely fought trying to make that car go straight. It would pick up the front tires, roll rotate the right rear hard and drive to the left. First, chassis guys thought the diagonal link was flexing so we went to a wish bone. Then we found out the anti roll bar that had been installed wasn't near strong enough so we upgraded that but nothing seemed to help. One day we were at the track and my uncle and I (co crew chiefs) had a meeting of the minds without input from dad (driver) and decided that we had done everything all the fast guys/ chassis guys recommended. So we went back to what we had known and that was circle track technology. We cranked some wedge in the right rear and lowered the left front and it instantly went straight down the track. Had some peculiar looks from people in the staging lanes since the wedge we put in it was very visible but it worked.
    We finally figured out that when we had the chassis built it wasn't set up to handle the amount of power (about 1400 hp on spray) we threw at it. It had been built as more of a "street car". Back then we had never drag raced other than some street racing when dad was young and a little I did before I got married. Dad's first full pass went like 9.75 on motor only. Man it has snowballed into so much more than we ever planned way back then.

Now you pretty much have to step up to the plate and hit a home run to be competitive since they have opened the rules so much. Rules now are.. Factory roof, quarter panels and vin tag and no billet heads, no minimum weights or anything more than run whatchya brung.
    If you watch the video BT posted MN talks about his car rolling into the right rear in near the same manner.
    Wedge. I love it.
    We were just north of 700 closer to 750 depending on weather and other tune factors. Depending on the track and event we pretty much stayed in the lower end of those numbers as we were running on my wallet and supporting 2 cars. VP Fuel/entry/tow rigs/food etc just to get to the track.
    Maint on both cars and tires. 2 sets a season on the Both cars. The Biscayne did some street racing so the tires got a work out.
    Not a low level endeavor by any means.
    We sprayed the Biscayne at Good Guys and other non-bracket events. So add that expense. 3 filled bottles ain’t cheap.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    This thread has brought back a lot of memory's of us chasing our cars (2 of them) to be decent bracket cars. Consistency being the key. 69 was a back half car we built on a churchmouse budget as we were doing 2 cars self funded.
    Rear was a ladder bar set up so that was a detriment as they are a bit more violent than a 4 bar. Narrowed 9" with Strange engineering guts. 14W32's was about all we could get under it.
    If you look at the slicks in the pick it took us a bit to achieve that amount of bite and get the car to leave like that about every time unless the track just sucked. Even then we could manipulate it to be consistent.

I loved this car. It was a hoot to drive and fun to watch. The pic was our finals winning pass at that race. We won with both cars that day. Winning aint that easy peoples.

qTOWv0V.jpg
    Those tires are hooked up very nicely. Can't beat that.

I love watching drag racing but I've never personally done it. We've always had street rods so major power and chassis setup wasn't really a big issue. Slick paint and comfortable/reliable drivability is our main concern. A good sounding SBC doesn't hurt either.:)

This new engine is a beauty though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Those tires are hooked up very nicely. Can't beat that.

I love watching drag racing but I've never personally done it. We've always had street rods so major power and chassis setup wasn't really a big issue. Slick paint and comfortable/reliable drivability is our main concern. A good sounding SBC doesn't hurt either.:)

This new engine is a beauty though.
    This is the 2nd car we ran. It served as a street car and a race car. It was trailered to the track as the tune up was different. Open headers etc. I drove this one and my son piloted the Camaro.
    The slicks are well hooked on this as well. 4000# street car and you can see some air under the left front. It lifted it 4" or so on a good track. If I used the Trans brake (Foot brake in pic due to class) it would lift both.

Same race as the Camaro pic and this was the trophy pass.

pjPVMYR.jpg

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you watch the video BT posted MN talks about his car rolling into the right rear in near the same manner.
    Wedge. I love it.
    We were just north of 700 closer to 750 depending on weather and other tune factors. Depending on the track and event we pretty much stayed in the lower end of those numbers as we were running on my wallet and supporting 2 cars. VP Fuel/entry/tow rigs/food etc just to get to the track.
    Maint on both cars and tires. 2 sets a season on the Both cars. The Biscayne did some street racing so the tires got a work out.
    Not a low level endeavor by any means.
    We sprayed the Biscayne at Good Guys and other non-bracket events. So add that expense. 3 filled bottles ain’t cheap.

I started watching that video last night on my lunch break but haven't finished it yet.
    Yeah when we jacked wedge into it we were about at witts end with it. It wasn't real pretty but it worked.
    When we started out the original plan was to keep it reasonable with a very healthy small block. But then dad really got into the old school pro street stuff with big tires, big cubic inches and semi- street legal. Unfortunately as always money kills a good class and they started allowing full chassis cars in and NHRA changed the rules on what was required to certify a car to 7.50 (funny car cage and a bunch of other bars). So the back half cars basically became 3/4 chassis cars.
    Racing isn't cheap by any means but I always tell people you gotta be a special kind of stupid to go heads up racing. You end up constantly trying to keep up/stay ahead of everyone else and you work on the car so it's "ready" before loading it up and then wrench on it all day long. While it looks like many of the bracket racers are just kind of hanging out and keeping it consistent without a bunch of work between rounds, heads up guys are going over data and messing with stuff trying to rotate the Earth every pass. Since they rules are pretty much wide open, there have been some serious heavy hitters come out to play. Sucks when your car will run 4.50s- low 4.60s and then dudes show up and run 4.20s-4.30s and are there "just to make test hits" (a few can be seen on no prep kings).
    Next year I think we may slow it down, run it on motor and do some bracket racing just to keep it more reasonable and have some fun. When it's all funded by AP finance (@$$ pocket finance- stole that from Bob Glidden years ago) sooner or later enough is enough.
    Bracket racing I am learning will have it's own challenges I haven't got my head wrapped around yet

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I started watching that video last night on my lunch break but haven't finished it yet.
    Yeah when we jacked wedge into it we were about at witts end with it. It wasn't real pretty but it worked.
    When we started out the original plan was to keep it reasonable with a very healthy small block. But then dad really got into the old school pro street stuff with big tires, big cubic inches and semi- street legal. Unfortunately as always money kills a good class and they started allowing full chassis cars in and NHRA changed the rules on what was required to certify a car to 7.50 (funny car cage and a bunch of other bars). So the back half cars basically became 3/4 chassis cars.
    Racing isn't cheap by any means but I always tell people you gotta be a special kind of stupid to go heads up racing. You end up constantly trying to keep up/stay ahead of everyone else and you work on the car so it's "ready" before loading it up and then wrench on it all day long. While it looks like many of the bracket racers are just kind of hanging out and keeping it consistent without a bunch of work between rounds, heads up guys are going over data and messing with stuff trying to rotate the Earth every pass. Since they rules are pretty much wide open, there have been some serious heavy hitters come out to play. Sucks when your car will run 4.50s- low 4.60s and then dudes show up and run 4.20s-4.30s and are there "just to make test hits" (a few can be seen on no prep kings).
    Next year I think we may slow it down, run it on motor and do some bracket racing just to keep it more reasonable and have some fun. When it's all funded by AP finance (@$$ pocket finance- stole that from Bob Glidden years ago) sooner or later enough is enough.
    Bracket racing I am learning will have it's own challenges I haven't got my head wrapped around yet
    Listening to the no prep racers bitching about guys guessing the light would "NEVER" make it in the brackets. "NEVER"
    Cause if I even think I see some green I drop the button and I am gone. My son could (if he was on it that day) cut consistent 010 lights. Thats where you win in bracket if your car will run the number you put in the window.
    Shallow stage and leave fast.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Listening to the no prep racers bitching about guys guessing the light would "NEVER" make it in the brackets. "NEVER"
    Cause if I even think I see some green I drop the button and I am gone. My son could (if he was on it that day) cut consistent 010 lights. Thats where you win in bracket if your car will run the number you put in the window.
    Shallow stage and leave fast.

Yeah their bitching gets on my nerves. I mean we all do it. On a sportsman tree you leave on the last yellow. Pro tree you leave when you see yellow. It's part of the game and there is always someone who needs to chop down the tree to gain something on the hole shot to have a chance. Just like deep staging or lengthening wheel base an inch or so for more roll out. From my perspective if the red light isn't tripped what's the problem?
    Only way to make everyone wait until they see green is the old flashlight rule where if the tire cracks/or car moves before the light come on you lose. Can you imagine trying to play back video all the time to review that? Need more racing less bitching

Top Bottom