• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It's about time for another chest-rig thread, isn't it?

Several months ago, I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow a Hill People Gear medium Kit Bag from another INGO'er to use for a week's worth of day-hiking in North Carolina. It was fantastic. It held my G17 + Spare Mag VERY comfortably and securely.

Only thing: HPG stuff is VERY expensive and often not in stock.

Who else makes similar items that I can research? I'd rather not just take a $30 flyer on some cheap Chinese crap from Amazon.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I own a medium and large HPG kit bags . . .

What do you think/how would you characterize the size difference of the 2 bags in practical terms? I know the dimensions are on their site. Just interested in your thoughts about what each can carry, is the larger worth it or overkill, etc.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    5.11 has a couple new chest rigs out that might do the job. I know they’re cheaper than HPG, not sure if they’ll fit the weapon.

Looks a lot like the HPG bags. No doubt the HPG bags are heavier duty (500D vs 330D for ex.), but if the 5.11s are 80% of the bag for a little over 1/3 the cost, might be a good value.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Looks a lot like the HPG bags. No doubt the HPG bags are heavier duty (500D vs 330D for ex.), but if the 5.11s are 80% of the bag for a little over 1/3 the cost, might be a good value.
    That’s what I was figuring. I just ran across them the other day. I have a much older 5.11 MOLLE chest rig that is the same footprint that I turned into a backpacking chest rig to to keep my essentials close, and I did this years ago before HPG was a thing (and I was much younger). It worked out really well. I’ll have to dig around some more, but I remember seeing another similar rig out there, I just can’t recall it at the moment.

F3FD73DD-2F23-4B53-BD3C-18A794891FAD.jpeg

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    What do you think/how would you characterize the size difference of the 2 bags in practical terms? I know the dimensions are on their site. Just interested in your thoughts about what each can carry, is the larger worth it or overkill, etc.
    I carry a HPG backpack and it is comfortable and well made. Stocking is a challenge but sign up for the waiting list and jump on it as soon as notified. Their Facebook group is interactive and lots of knowledgeable people so the could answer specific questions on real life sizing experiences. Below is a chart with specs:

KitBag.jpg

sell33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    Delaware County
    I know you weren’t asking me, but I have a full size SAR and a snubby original. SAR is nice if I’m hunting and carrying a little more (tuck binos in there sometimes). For light hikes and what not the snubby is great to just keep pockets clear and have everything accessible. I think the medium size would be perfect if I only owned one, I’ll have one eventually.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Just ran across this one:

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Another one:

A little bigger than the HPG, but might be a little more modular as a hip pack for EDC too.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Dang - both descriptions of those 5.11 bags state that they're for "compact" pistols. I think that basically leaves out the G17, then. Even a G19 isn't really "compact" though Glock states it is. Just that it's more compact than their FS models.

anyhow - I've been offered a very gently used HPG bag for $100.

that and this Viktos bag are very very compelling...

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OK - I bought a very gently used HPG kit bag.

NOW I need to look for an inexpensive CAT tourniquet holder that'll hold it horizontally on the bottom of the bag. Preferably blaze orange to match the orange TQ. Or lime green. That ought to clash nicely with the orange TQ and the coyote brown bag.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    OK - I bought a very gently used HPG kit bag.

NOW I need to look for an inexpensive CAT tourniquet holder that'll hold it horizontally on the bottom of the bag. Preferably blaze orange to match the orange TQ. Or lime green. That ought to clash nicely with the orange TQ and the coyote brown bag.

:puke:

:postpics:

Good deal TF. Where’d you pick it up?

tgeorge21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 19, 2023
    Feet
    I'm curious as to what a person would like to conceal that would require a chest rig. Listen, just buy a fanny pack and call it an "administrative pouch" like the rest of us! :hehe:

Top Bottom