Check your ammo! Lesson learned, no harm, this time.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Went out shooting Thursday at our property with a friend of mine. Shot my 10/22 build to check some scope issues. Shot my new Enfield to see how it did (brass buttplates suck). Shot my AR SBR. Moved on to handguns and shot my Witness. Uneventful day so far...

Friend went to shoot her LC9, magazine one, no problem.
    Magazine two, failure to extract. Look at the case and minor bulge, some marks around it, think maybe some grit got on it, toss the case, move on.
    Magzine three, failure to extract. Pop the case out with a cleaning rod. Bulged more. Hang on to this one. I decide to shoot the pistol to see whats up.
    Magazine four, failure to extract last round. Pop case out with rod again, bulged. Really look at the case and chamber this time. Come back and look at the case again... Go back to last problem case and examine it closely...

Ding!

Out of a brand new unopened box of 50 Federal 115gr. FMJ, 2 confirmed (maybe a third, but I tossed the first one) Federal .380 Auto rounds.

Told her don't shoot any more of that box, saved it, took photo of box with Lot Number, told her I'd email Federal for her and see what they said. I didn't load the magazines (probably should have at least loaded the one I shot myself), but still not sure I'd have caught it as they're so close on length.

Had one more box of a different lot number and it was definitely checked before any were loaded!

Check your ammo! Even factory!

TBH, I tend to not check factory ammo as close as I do reloads... That'll change.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    I have seen enough quality issues with Federal white box I stopped buying it. Ishoot 9mm mostly. I haven't noticed any issues with the 50 count boxes.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have had this happen.
    But the cause was different.

My new to shooting friend was being helpful and reloaded several .380 rounds into 9mm mags while I was setting up a second friend.

Totally 100% my fault. I saw him loading the mags and let him continue without checking.

Could something like that have happened? I'm pretty sure I would notice the difference in height between a 380 and 9mm in a 50 round configuration.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I have had this happen.

My new to shooting friend was being helpful and reloaded several .380 rounds into 9mm mags while I was setting up a second friend.

Totally 100% my fault. I saw him loading the mags and let him continue without checking.

Could something like that have happened? I'm pretty sure I would notice the difference in height between a 380 and 9mm in a 50 round configuration.

You'd think you would. I notice most .380 cases in my brass cleaning process. Those I don't occasionally I notice before I put them in my press. Once in a blue moon, a .380 case goes up on the first loading stage before I notice. Reloading is different of course than accidentally loading a .380 round into a 9mm pistol because it was in the 9mm factory box. Regardless of how the .380 ended up in that box, When you open up a box of any ammo, do a quick visual inspection the make sure they are all uniform. Good thing to teach new shooters too.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Question: Does she have a .380 pistol, any .380 ammo? Wondering if they got mixed in somehow.

She has some .380 ammo because she took some to a shoot a while back to try other's guns, but these were boxes she hadn't even opened, still in the Wal-Mart bag from when she bought them. And she said the .380 ammo she had wasn't Federal. The brass was Federal headstamped and appeared new.

Lot G24T36, she had two boxes same lot, not sure if both of them came from the same box or not because she shot some through my Witness. Inspected all the rounds in her third box, different lot, no issues.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I have had this happen.

Yes, she loaded all the mags, but there were no boxes of .380 ammo present whatsoever, I don't own a .380 or any .380 ammo.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks guys. :)

I have noticed that the increased demand for factory ammo over the last 7 years or so has resulted in a not unexpected increase in quality control problems. During that same time, the quality of ammo I turn out on my reloading presses is still very high, and if there is ever a problem, I'll know exactly who to blame.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom