• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I don't buy from CTD because MOST(not all) of the stuff they sell is cheap-o crap. I'll stick to BravoCompany, gandrtactical.com, or rainierarms.com

Not being familiar with this company, my first thought was, "Wait, Gander Mountain opened a tactical shop?"

My second thought was, "Wait, aren't we talking about companies that aren't unreasonably expensive?"

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I never had any problem with them.
    They have some good prices on some stuff, not on everything, and they ship fast.
    I will order from them again.

dingodog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Monticello
    I have purchased several items from CDT over the years, and have never had a bad experience. Although, I recommend shopping around before purchasing from them as they very often do not live up to their name.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Of course I do, I am a business owner. However, this is not a moral issue imo. They are not forcing anyone to buy anything. If they are advertising "Buy this gun because its the one that killed Kennedy" or something like that, then you have some questionable morals and ethics. But raising the prices above everyone else is not a moral issue. If anything it should drive customers to other sites.

But you are right, it is your right to shop elsewhere. They made a decision and have to suffer the consequences either good or bad.

I believe price gouging shows bad character. It's attempting to make a fast buck off of someone's fear. Exactly like gas stations raising prices up to $6.00 a gallon after a hurricane. Eventually, actions like that catch up with you and that business model isn't sustainable. Just my :twocents: and I definitely respect your opinion as a business owner.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    did they do you wrong on a purchase or just general hate?

Never did me wrong on a purchase because I won't give them the chance. I hate their business practice of price gouging. Like many have said when Obama got elected and the congresswoman was shot they were right there jacking up the prices to unreasonable amounts. A company that price gouges I will not spend one dime at.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I understand you THINK you are not wrong about the 'rules of economics.' That doesn't mean that you are not actually wrong. And the fact that you admit to being ignorant of specific facts about CTD and their practices simply shows that PT Barnum was correct...a sucker is born every minute.

As I said earlier, there is a word for CTD customers: SUCKER

Nice, time to resort to name calling huh lol. Apparently I am an ignorant sucker. Good to know I guess.

Although I fail to see how I am ignorant because I was unaware that a site I rarely visit changed their price on an item I would never look to buy online. I apologize I don't comb the internet to see if anyone is price gouging after a tragedy. Also, I am sorry if I do not take the word of a random poster on the internet as fact.

To your last point, again with the name calling? There are several people in this thread who are happy with their dealings with CTD, how are they suckers?

I guess maybe I just don't feel any sympathy for people who paid more for an item because they did not do any comparison shopping.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I wonder why people don't feel the same way about gun shops. I can think of one very popular indy shop who raised the price of wasrs to $650 and colt 6920s to $1650 during the obama hysteria.
    I will say this shop has since provided me excellent cs and reformed my opinion of them, but they definitely did the same thing to a degree.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I wonder why people don't feel the same way about gun shops. I can think of one very popular indy shop who raised the price of wasrs to $650 and colt 6920s to $1650 during the obama hysteria.
    I will say this shop has since provided me excellent cs and reformed my opinion of them, but they definitely did the same thing to a degree.

I do feel this way about any business I visit. If I experienced this at a local gun shop, I would not be shopping there again. If they're willing to do it once, they're willing to do it again...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have got a few things from them when i researched and accualy found them to be cheaper, and shipping is very quick but a little on the expensive side. I normaly buy from midway though.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    IBTL... :chillpill: time.

I understand you THINK you are not wrong about the 'rules of economics.' That doesn't mean that you are not actually wrong. And the fact that you admit to being ignorant of specific facts about CTD and their practices simply shows that PT Barnum was correct...a sucker is born every minute.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Nice, time to resort to name calling huh lol. Apparently I am an ignorant sucker. Good to know I guess.

Although I fail to see how I am ignorant because I was unaware ...

First, I never called you a name. My posts throughout have been very clear about the fact that CTD customers are suckers.

As for ignorant, well sir I'd suggest you look up the meaning of the word. You claim to fail to see how you were ignorant but then you admit that you were unaware of the facts. So clearly you are ignorant of the facts because the word 'unaware' is a simile of the word ignorant.

I would not spend my money at that gun shop either. They did the same thing. They, therefore, lost my business.

I also feel the same way about stores that have a NO GUNS policy. I won't eat at Buffalo Wild Wings, I won't shop at Old Navy, I don't buy HALLMARK greeting cards and I no longer shop at COSTCO. If you don't like my gun then you lost my business. If you try to screw me then you also loose my business.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    Not being familiar with this company, my first thought was, "Wait, Gander Mountain opened a tactical shop?"

My second thought was, "Wait, aren't we talking about companies that aren't unreasonably expensive?"

Haha, my damn iPad kept wanting to autocorrect it to Gander Tactical then Gay and Actual..... I think this iPad is trying to Come outta the closet.

GripnRip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I can related to the "price gouging" opinions out there.

I just bought a gun from CTD. Ordered on Thursday, got them my FFL info Thursday, my FFL got the gun the following Wednesday. Not bad considering the Christmas holiday was mixed in there. I shopped around extensively and they had the best price I could find, even with shipping factored in. I'd recommend them as long as you shop around.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    If you didn't notice the price increases both BEFORE and AFTER Obama's election, along with the scare tactic advertising, along with the "SPECIAL SALE" prices that were often DOUBLE the MSRP price, then you were simply not paying attention. 9mm practice ammo for $45 a box? PMags on sale for $39.95 each? WTF!?!

As for you comment that prices had gone up everywhere, then again you were not paying attention. Other companies, at the same time, were offering PMags for $9.95 to $14.95 each. Other companies didn't jack up their prices.

Seems like every national tragedy is just an opportunity to take advantage of customers for Cheaper Than Dirt. They are not serving the gun owner community, they are simple opportunists preying on fears and the weakest among us who have poor shopping skills and a lack of moral conviction.

I guess my shopping techniques are different than yours. I shop for a list of items, place them in a cart, and calculate the total with shipping and if applicable, tax. After I've placed the same items in multiple retailer's carts, I submit the one with the best price. Thanks for the specific examples of price jacking. I'll keep my eye on this in the future.

True and I totally agree with you up to this point.

But this is where you clearly FAIL.

CTD doesn't wait for high demand or low supply to raise their prices. They push fear and raise their prices even when supply is high/stable. Can you explain to me the Demand/Supply curve logic for why they jacked up prices on 9mm ammo the DAY AFTER Congresswoman Giffords (D-AZ) was shot in Arizona? There was no increased demand. There was no shortage of supply.

These people play to paranoia and take advantage of the weak minds that live for paranoia.

Buy from them if you will. There is a term for CTD customers: SUCKERS

Actually there was an increase in demand. Many people (me included) saw the tragedy as an opportunity for gun grabbers to take action. I personally stocked up on 30 round AK mags. CTD did not have the lowest price... so I didn't buy them there.

First, I never called you a name. My posts throughout have been very clear about the fact that CTD customers are suckers.

As for ignorant, well sir I'd suggest you look up the meaning of the word. You claim to fail to see how you were ignorant but then you admit that you were unaware of the facts. So clearly you are ignorant of the facts because the word 'unaware' is a simile of the word ignorant.

I would not spend my money at that gun shop either. They did the same thing. They, therefore, lost my business.

I also feel the same way about stores that have a NO GUNS policy. I won't eat at Buffalo Wild Wings, I won't shop at Old Navy, I don't buy HALLMARK greeting cards and I no longer shop at COSTCO. If you don't like my gun then you lost my business. If you try to screw me then you also loose my business.

Sucker implies a general lack of wit. I don't believe most of the folks posting here are lacking wit. In fact, most are proud gun owners looking for a place to obtain information. In my opinion, that makes them witty (non-suckers).

I applaud your convictions to do business with organizations that have the same moral fiber as yourself. I also appreciate your first hand experience in this thread.

Your opinion of Cheaper Than Dirt is clear and well noted. If you have nothing more to add to the thread regarding the original question, do us a favor and conserve your bandwidth.

skreuzman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    In my opinion CTD is a business just like everyone else. They have good buys and they have overpriced products just like everyone else. If they did not have any good buys they would not have any customers. Be a smart shopper and look around before you buy. No single shop will be the cheapest on everything. In my experience CTD has great customer service and very fast shipping. That being said, if I find a product cheaper somewhere else, I go with the lowest price. My favorite gun shops overcharge for lots of things but that does not mean that I quit shopping there. It just all boils down to being a good shopper and doing some research before you make a purchase. If you don't like their price hikes, don't buy the product. If noone buys it, the price will eventually come back down.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I've yet to make any purchase from them but have found a couple items here recently that I am going to purchase from them because they have th best price even after shipping and transfer fee at FFL.

I'd say they are like any other business if they have a deal on something I'm looking for I'll buy from them if not then I won't. Isn't that economics 101? It is to me.

Just because someone does business with a company you personally don't like doesn't make them a sucker by any means. That's like saying that everyone should drink coke because you like it or everyone should not drive a ford because you don't like them. :dunno:

If anyone overpays for something because they didn't research first then that's simply their own fault.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Figured I would give CTD a try. Easily had the lowest prices I could find. I did my research and read about both good and bad experiences. Order went well, sent in the FFL transfer paperwork about an hour later.
    The next day the gun I ordered was out of stock. Since I sent in my paperwork rather quickly, I figured I was in good shape.
    Called to confirm the order two days later since the website wasn't updated. They said the gun had been sent, but didn't have a tracking number yet from the warehouse. Strange, but figured it was ok.
    Called on Tuesday asking for an update, but nothing changed. No tracking number.
    Called tonight. They said they refunded my account. I asked why. They said the item was out of stock and didn't know when it would be available, so they refunded the money.
    Asked him why I was told last week that it had shipped? He gave some excuse that didn't make sense. And I asked him why I wasn't notified about this change. No logical explanation given. Needless to say I was upset.
    I gave it a shot, and got hosed. My own fault.

Top Bottom