• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have had nothing but good experiences with Charter revolvers. The only one I currently own is the pathfinder in .22lr I picked it up to be able to shoot for cheap out of a revolver. I love it, and I shoot it alot. I have fired a few of there .38s at the range from other people letting me give them a try, again I was very pleased with them and plan on getting one soon. I own a Taurus model 85 and I really enjoy it too. Sure they arent Smiths, but they get the job done just fine for me.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    No good, in my experience. Bought one last year. Transfer bar broke. Charter repaired it. Transfer bar broke again. Charter replaced the gun. Transfer bar broke again, on the new gun. It's been sitting in my safe, going to go back again. there's an old thread around here about my experiences.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Found myself in a similar situation to the OP about 30 yrs ago. Needed a snubbie for CCW and couldn't afford a S&W or Colt DS. I bought a Charter Undercover with some trepidation, but after several hundred rds of accurate, trouble-free practice my misgivings went away.

I did experience the threaded part of the ejector rod starting to back-out after firing a few cylinders-full. A drop of Loc-Tite eliminated that. A set of Pachmayr Compac grips made it much easier to shoot well and didn't compromise concealment at all.

I carried it for about 10 yrs and put at least 5K rds through it before I finally traded it in on a nice Colt DS. Always used standard-pressure ammo, with 125 gr. Nyclad HPs (originally made by S&W) being my preferred SD load.

In today's market, if I could buy a Ruger LCR for only $30 more I'd almost certainly go for it. The state of the engineering and manufacturing arts have changed dramatically, and the new design reflects some of the best of both, IMHO.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    An even better Charter .38 choice is an older POLICE UNDERCOVER. They are stainless 6 shooters rated for +P loads. Put a set of Pachmayer Compact grips on and it is a great little gun. I carried one for a few years. Still carry it on occaision, though I mostly carry a .40 auto now.
    73840.gif

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    An even better Charter .38 choice is an older POLICE UNDERCOVER. They are stainless 6 shooters rated for +P loads. Put a set of Pachmayer Compact grips on and it is a great little gun. I carried one for a few years. Still carry it on occaision, though I mostly carry a .40 auto now.
    73840.gif

I have a Charter Arms Undercover .38 Special. its great, easy to hide, makes for a wonderful revolver. It is every bit as good as the S&W at about half the price. mine is a Stainless steel model, really great, you can see it in my avatar. if you have any specific questions about it, i'd be happy to answer them.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I too, occasionally carry an Off Duty model. Not tons of fun to shoot, but very dependable, and has never failed me. Solid stopping power with .38 Plus p's and not much bigger than a typical .380. I'd say buy it.

I guess I should note that it gets fired rarely, and almost always with target grade ammo. I save the plusP stuff for the bad guys.

LocustsOfSteel

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Beverly Shores
    I've got a 70's .38 off duty, I inherited it from my uncle, who passed on a few months ago, and he inherited it from another uncle of mine when he passed.
    Neither of them really seem the type to use it much, probably just shot it a few times to test it.
    It was kept in its original box with documentation, and it was in nearly perfect cosmetic condition.
    Only problem is that the ejector rod is a little rough sometimes, I presume that's because they never oiled it and kept it moving.
    Other than that, its nice and heavy, feels sturdy, and the trigger and hammer mechanisms are crisp and light.
    I have now purchased a side horizontal holster, and am about to go get my CCW permit so I can carry it whenever I'm out and about... might need to get an inside the pants holster for summer, and a quick loader.

Purchased a 50 round box of Bitterroot Valley .38 special 158 grain HP ammo online and thought it was regular velocity, apparently the cases say "Federal +P" on the bottom (documentation says its best not to use this), I fired one anyway on Independence Day and it had quite allot of kick, that and it sounded like a cannon or a bomb or something, and everyone in the neighborhood stopped shooting fireworks for a moment lol.

Charters are nice guns.

Last edited:

Unit308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    What have been your experiences with Charter Arms handguns, or any of the others I've mentioned?[/quote]

I have been carrying, and still carry, a Charter Arms two inch SS in an ankle holster. I have carried this little Charter for close to 30 years and it has outlived three different ankle holsters.
    Of course this Charter does not now look "new in the box", but it still works, still has better accuracy than my Model 60, and has been extremely reliable.
    This little Charter has been through snow, through sand, and even been under water a time or three. I've refinished the grips twice, but they are still original
    If you keep it clean and do your part, you won't be disappointed.

Unit308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The new Charter Arms folks are nice to deal with. Last fall I was cleaning my 30 yr old Charter and had just removed the mainspring when the mainspring seat went flying to parts unknown. After an hour of searching for this little piece of metal, I gave up in frustration.
    I went to several Web sites in search of a replacement. Brownell's wanted five dollars for the little thing, and wanted to tack another six dollars S&H atop that.
    Another web site told me that they would ship me the mainspring seat, but they sold it with a mainspring and strut as a package deal. $20.00 for that.
    I ended up placing a phone call to the new Charter Arms factory...had to search for their phone number, though.
    I spoke with a receptionist (I could hear their machinery running in the background) and she handed the phone to a man who did not identify himself. I told him that I wanted to buy a mainspring seat from them and explained how I had lost mine.
    This man took my name, my address, and told me, "I'll send one out to you today."
    I asked him about the charges. He said, "No charge."
    I received the mainspring seat in the mail just three days later. It was in a plain envelope, no fancy packaging, no letter from Charter Arms...just the mainspring seat that I needed.
    That is what I call Service.
    Shame on Brownell's and the other company for demanding a six dollar S&H charge for a small item that Charter Arms put in an envelope and mailed with a 44 cent stamp.

I have often thought that I should laud Charter Arms by sending a letter to a couple of the gun magazines to tell them of my very nice experience with the folks at the new Charter Arms factory.
    I have not done that, but should do so.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The Ruger LCR is lighter than most at 13 oz.

That is, unless you're looking for a heavy snubbie for some reason.

If you look at the original threadposter's post date...the LCR was not out on the market at that time...hence his 'heavier than most' comment...but you're right, it is now.

I've looked at the Charter Arms revolvers...but have stayed with Ruger's for my revolvers. Rugers fit in my hand better and have always performed well for me!

Recently, Ruger brought their LCR out in .357mag. It's a steel frame instead of an aluminum frame, as the .38 is, bringing the gun's weight up to 17 oz, but hey, it's a .357mag.

I bought a Taurus 850 once...because it was cheaper...but it kept jamming on me...even after getting it repaired twice (2x)...I finally traded it. I know a guy who had to send his new Taurus 709 Slim (9mm) in for repairs right after he bought it. Nothing about Taurus inspires confidence in me for their guns.

I've learned that it's better to spend a few dollars more to get a nice gun that to mess around with something that is 'cheaper' and you simply end up getting what you paid for vs. a quality gun. :twocents:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I used both the Charter Undercover and Bulldog in the late 70s and early 80s. They would not win beauty contests but were reliable carry guns.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've had an Off Duty since 1986, I bought it used and it has gone bang every time I pulled the trigger....except for dry firing.... This gun has been on my hip or in my vehicle every day for 24 years, and if I have my way my son will get it when I'm gone

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    If you look at the original threadposter's post date...the LCR was not out on the market at that time...hence his 'heavier than most' comment...but you're right, it is now.

Exactly. Thank you for noticing Amishmann44. (No disrespect meant to you, cosermann)

I never did buy that .38. I've been spending my money on ammo to feed what I currently have....and looking at the Kel Tec PF9.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom