• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you change your primary EDC to one that can be operated more easily wearing gloves

• Total voters

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Short version of this post:

Possibility of PW4 in February.
    Possibility of cold-weather CQC training class with HandK.
    Got me thinking about working my weapon with my winter gloves on.
    (This has nothing to do with using a bigger gun for winter and smaller for summer.)

Does anybody else change EDC to one that can be operated more easily while wearing gloves?

Longer version of this post:

I just read the PW3 AAR thread today, and in it I saw some talk of doing PW4 in February.

So what's the O/U on how long it takes us to plan PW4?

I don't think we should do the training in cold weather with gloves and all. Maybe have another shoot in Feb. or March and then a training day in May or June. :dunno:

Why not? Don't you carry in the winter?

My first handgun class was 7 degrees when it started and made it all the way up to 17 degrees.

I think it forces you to focus more, but its also good practice for when you do have gloves.

I'd like to do some training in the winter, I think it's a good idea

(There was some other talk, as well, such as allowing the post whores to restock on ammo since we've had 3 PW shoots since late July and concerns about novice shooters doing drills in the cold, but I'm not quoting all those.)

Regardless of whether PW4 happens in February (which I'd totally support! My girlfriend will be visiting town in mid/late-February and I know she'd love to go to PW4!), that discussion got me thinking about which firearm I want to carry when it starts getting cold enough to require gloves. (Isn't the warm weather this late in the year wonderful!?) Last winter I only had one gun to choose from, but this year I've got a couple options.

My primary EDC (everyday carry, for the noobs) is a compact Springfield XD, but the other option is a full-size 1911. I got both out today, filled a couple magazines of each with snap caps, and did some drills with both while wearing my normal leather winter gloves. I'm still trying to decide which I like better—and I'll probably spend some time at the range before deciding—but I wondered if anybody else changes their primary every day carry sidearm on the basis of being able to operate it while wearing your EDGs (everyday gloves).

This is not about "summer carry" versus "winter carry" in the normal sense; some people switch out to a smaller gun for the summer so they can still CC while wearing cooler clothes. That's a different issue. I'm talking about changing because of gloves.

This is not about normal variation in carry decisions, such as carrying a small gun because you're not wearing pants with belt loops. If I'm going to the gym, I take my KelTec P-11 so that it can be concealed more easily and won't pull my basketball pants down. I call that "normal variation". That's a different issue. I'm talking about your primary EDC.

So the question is, do you change your primary winter EDC for the reason that you can operate it while wearing your winter gloves?

Or have you determined that your normal EDC can be operated without issue while wearing gloves?

Or have you never even thought about that aspect before?

How will you make sure that you are able to engage an assailant when necessary even if you are wearing gloves?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Both of the guns I carry operate fine while I'm wearing gloves. I only own one pair of gloves that aren't Jersey type, and they are not very bulky. 99% of the time though, I'm wearing jersey gloves in cold weather.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I dislike wearing gloves, so I do not have them on unless it is absolutely necessary. In winter, my CCW is buried under a sweater and a coat. By the time I get it out I will have a glove off and be ready to fire or I will already be in such deep do-do that the CCW won't matter any more. I depend on my situational awareness to avoid the problem or allow me to draw slowly and quietly in advance.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    I carry a CZ 75 P-01 80% of the year and in winter I've never needed to change to a different gun or get smaller gloves. The newer CZ's have plenty big enough trigger guards. However, I don't think I'd be able to effectively shoot my Sig P239 with heavy winter gloves on.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I actually enjoy shooting in the cold, so I shoot as much as I can outside all winter long. So I shoot fairly often in gloves and actually enjoy it. I feel fine shooting my EDC while wearing gloves. Good subject though as I am sure many people might overlook this.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Gloves are one of the big reasons that I practice reload, tap, rack instead of reload, drop slide stop. Can't promise the gloved thumb will get a good purchase on the slide stop to push it down.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've thought of this. But I don't wear gloves. Only time I do is when I'm plowing snow. And I keep my hands in my coat pocket to keep them warm when not wearing gloves.

I don't get cold very easily anyway. So my EDC won't change much. Just lil more difficult to reach my pistol because of the coat.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

OOoooooohhhhhhh..... very impressive, indeed. I'm going to have to look into those. My "driving gloves" are definitely a little too long for my fingers, but they are the ones I wear most often. Perhaps a new pair of gloves are, in fact, in order this year.

If those gloves work as well as I suspect they will, I'll probably just keep my XD as my EDC. Without any external safeties to operate, and with the glove being slim enough to fit my finger into the trigger guard all the way (unlike my current gloves), that may just solve my problem.

Gloves are one of the big reasons that I practice reload, tap, rack instead of reload, drop slide stop. Can't promise the gloved thumb will get a good purchase on the slide stop to push it down.

Samesies! I always release the slide by pulling it back and letting it go instead of pressing the slide catch. (Notice I don't call it a "slide release". When I introduce new shooters to guns, I train them to pull the slide back to release it, too.) That method will always work on all semiautomatic pistols while using the slide catch can be unreliable, require various amounts of strength, and some semiautos don't even have an external catch! It is wise not to make a habit of using the slide catch to release the slide.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I actually shot with the gloves i normally wear in the winter at PW3. Fox riding gloves.........I prefer these over other gloves cause I can just never seem to find normal gloves that fit correctly.

Im not sure if it is thier normal gloves or not but I believe Kinnard and Hotpocket were wearing thier riding gloves as well and shot fine with those.

fox-racing-dirtpaw-men-s-motocross-motorcycle-gloves-color-black-size-small-0.jpg

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I actually shot with the gloves i normally wear in the winter at PW3. Fox riding gloves.........I prefer these over other gloves cause I can just never seem to find normal gloves that fit correctly.

Im not sure if it is thier normal gloves or not but I believe Kinnard and Hotpocket were wearing thier riding gloves as well and shot fine with those.

[image snipped]

Seems like the same concept: slim, tight-fitting gloves designed to let you keep doing something while still protecting your hands. I think the big deal for me will be making sure my hands stay warm enough. I normally don't have a huge problem with that, but my leather gloves are so nice and warm when it's really cold, so whatever replaces those has to be able to keep my hands warm on the coldest of days. I think the Under Armor ones may fit the bill—guess we'll see!

Top Bottom