Change my mind about derringer/revolver purchase.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    For a couple days now I've been thinking I want a little snub nose revolver or maybe a derringer (bc they're kinda cool).

Deep conceal style gun. Caliber would be like a 9mm or smaller but bigger than 22.

Something easy.

Thoughts?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Will it replace something that you already use for that niche, and if so, is it the better option than what you currently have?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Don't buy a snub nose revolver or a derringer.
    Very compelling argument.

Will it replace something that you already use for that niche, and if so, is it the better option than what you currently have?
    I have a m&p ez9mm but sometimes it's not easy to conceal. So I'd like something much smaller, but not a sub compact semi-auto

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    S&W j frame scandium. They have a couple models that fit a pocket holster really well. Keep in mind that 5, 357, 158 GR cartridges are going to weigh almost as much as the gun. Good and bad. Practice with 38 cal isn’t unpleasant. Unleashing a 357 is much like being hit in the palm of the hand with a baseball bat.

I think bullet weight is restricted to 125gr or heavier. Something to do with being scandium and hanging with the cool kids I guess. Lol

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I have had a High Standard .22lr derringer, and I currently have a Bond Arms with 2 barrels - .327Fed Mag and .40S&W.

The H.S. was great for deep conceal. I can only find ones in .22lr or .22mag currently. I really think I saw one in 9mm once, long ago, at Bradis. Sold it, didn't miss it.

The Bond Arms are large, chunky, heavy things. Personally I do not think they work for a deep conceal setup. They are hard to shoot. Both barrels I have do not have the same point of impact. I have given up swapping them out and just run the .327. Even at up close and personal distance (7yds or less), the POI is several inches apart.

American Derringer makes some nice guns. I have never owned or shot one, just drooled and fondled them.

I think an airweight J-frame revolver in caliber of choice is a sweet way to go. I have a 351C, the .22mag version. It can go anywhere. Being DA only in rimfire means a very heavy trigger, which doesn't help accuracy much. The intended purpose is a last ditch, arms length, shooting scenario. YMMV.

Yes, I read the "derringer or snub nose revolver" bit. And many will heap abuse on me for this, but I think a .25acp semiauto is a better choice than a derringer and most J-frame sized wheel guns in .38/.357/9mm.

Sure would like to hear about what you get, if you do end up buying something.

Top Bottom