• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    After witnessing a fairly large tree come down at the new property the other night, I have decided that the neighbors offer of "anytime you need a chainsaw, just call me" is going to be a Neverending relationship. We are going to need to buy our own. I am looking for recommendations on a chainsaw that will last. We have 3 acres of woods. I anticipate it will get used moderately but not every day all day stuff. I really don't know the price ranges for saws as I just haven't shopped for them before. I don't know what a good universal bar size would be. Open to all suggestions.

Thank you

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 2 poulin factory remans that get used as you describe. Never had an issue with either of them. Run strong. We used to run them pretty hard getting wood for the winter but now I just use them as you describe. They were not expensive.

What ever you get have a fresh spare chain/fresh mixed fuel and bar oil on hand.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm sure the majority vote is going to be Stihl! That being said I've got a Craftsman Pro series with an 18" bar and have never had any issues. Fires first time even when cold out, and gets used pretty good. Not year round but when it does get used I run it through its paces. I've had my Craftsman 7 years now, and with regular maintenance it still runs like a champ.

I think the 18" bar is a good length to have but it all depends on the size trees you're planning on taking down or that mother nature make take down.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I'm sure the majority vote is going to be Stihl! That being said I've got a Craftsman Pro series with an 18" bar and have never had any issues. Fires first time even when cold out, and gets used pretty good. Not year round but when it does get used I run it through its paces. I've had my Craftsman 7 years now, and with regular maintenance it still runs like a champ.

I think the 18" bar is a good length to have but it all depends on the size trees you're planning on taking down or that mother nature make take down.

With what you described you might look into a Stihl or Husqvarna with that 3 acres of woods and if your going to maintain it... a Stihl MS290 (new mdl) or the 029 (older model) with a 18" bar would be a good choice. Not heavy and good power. Just a good all around saw. I think the Husqvarna 395 is a good solid saw, just dont know that much about them.
    Poulan used to make all Craftsman saws. I have had both. Good saws for the money, I heat with wood (wood boiler) so a good saw is critical to me... I wore my craftsman out... moved to stihl and never looked back. For the price of a new poulan you can usually buy a good used stihl. Depending on the need and use dictates what you need to buy.. You can buy different bars and chains that will help you saw run easier: narrow kerf. You really want to make the wood chips fly go full chisel chains BUT it has no anti kickback so like most of the chains you buy in the box stores they do.
    If its occasional use go with the poulan or craftsman, want it for a long time go with Stihl/husqvarna, stay away from the newer Jonesered (sold at TSC) makita is another good brand, Look at Baileys online out of California and they have much to choose if you go the route of a better saw.
    I have 5 stihl's ranging from 16" bar up to 24" and I would have a hard time switching brands, have cut with other guys and its a classic ford vs chevy vs dodge thing :rolleyes: Good luck with you purchase. Tim

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I agree that Stihl is a good choice. However, when I went to replace my saw earlier this year, I opted to go with a Poulan Pro from Lowe's. I paid $199.99+ tax. At the end of the day, I couldn't justify the cost of a new Stihl. I cut a ton of wood (by the average home owners standard) and so far I'm pleased with my purchase.

Couple things if you choose this route:

1. Make sure you get the avs model. It has the old school metal screw bar adjustment.
    2. The chain and bar are ok. I'm going to run the factory set up until the chain is done and then I'll buy a new 18" bar and chain. The saw is just a tad underpowered for a 20" bar. Plus, it's heavy and the 18" bar will lighten things up slightly.

3. Use some gasket dealer to seal the air filter. I did this from day 1 do I can't verify the claim but there are plenty of reports out there saying that wood dust gets into the intake causing major issues.

4. Don't expect any type of exceptional warranty support. From what I understand, Poulan actively looks for ways to blame the user. This is where Stihl really shines. A lot of what you are paying for is the expertise that comes along with the sales people and the warranty support.

Good luck with your purchase.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If memory serves my factory remans were $180 range with shipping. They are 55 CI engines after the re-build and haul the mail.

Sthil is a great saw. Budget owning 2 saws the Poulins fit the bill. Never let me down.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    My dad has had an Echo with an 18" bar for about 25 years now and it is still running strong, and he averages about 20 truck loads of wood per year.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I vote Stihl. My primary saw is a MS250 with an 18 inch bar. I also have a 391 with a 25 inch bar for big trees and a 180 with a 14 inch bar to do trimming. All run great and have had a lot of use.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Three Sthil's here, two are pushing 25 years old. a 026, 029 and a farmboss 044 Never a problem.
    I also own two strait shaft weed whackers and a backpack blower, all Sthil's.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I picked up a couple of older Stihl's off of Craigslist a few years ago. One had a new-ish Stihl bar/chain, and the other got an Oregon branded bar chain. I'd have to go check the model numbers. There is a smaller (and newer) one with a 16" bar, and then the larger (and older) one has a 20" bar. They run fine, and cut downed trees around the 'hood like they were butter.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My Husky 359 is great saw. Even if you don't use it a lot, go with a Stihl or Husqvarna professional grade saw. Saves frustration and headaches down the road.

When I was buying, I was a total chainsaw newbie, I looked at the Stihl 361. Great saw, dealer was a d-bag. Basically told me every other saw but a Stihl was junk. Went to my Husqvarna dealer, nice guy. I wanted to try a 357xp. I told him I had tried out the Stihl, he said it was a great saw too and I couldn't go wrong with either. I tested the 357xp, it was awesome and honestly scared me a little. He brought out the 359 and said try this one. I couldn't tell much difference, but the 359 was a little less scary and less money so I bought it. I have since had it worked on so it is much faster than stock, even faster than a stock 357xp.

If you're not an experienced chainsawer, I recommend buying one that does scare you a little. You will grow into it and in no time, you'll wish you had an even faster saw.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    How big of trees are you cutting? For most, a 20" bar will suffice in most situations. A budget would also help.

I current own about half of stihls lineup. From a 192t all the way to an 066.

A 362 is a pro grade saw that will hold its value and pull a 25" bar if needed. It's more at home with a 20 though. Your looking at about 600$ or more for that one new.

There have been more 290's sold than all other stihls combined if I could guess. They are 59cc, clamshell design which makes working on them harder, and the anti vibe isn't as good as a 362. It's also way cheaper.

If looking at used, look at a 460 also. 70cc saw, not much heavier than a 60cc but much faster in the cut.

Lots of options but without knowing tree size and budget, I'm basically just throwing model #s around.

And for god sakes...get some Kevlar chaps. Saws will hurt you plenty fast. Chaps are cheap insurance.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another Stihl. Buy once, cry once.

Im the proud owner of my late father's 028V that is so old the bar says "made in WEST Germany". It was repaired once when dad and I failed to get a cottonwood we were topping tied up high enough. The tree followed him down the ladder (the tree won) and the bar was trashed.

Then one day it was put away in the case. Nothing special was done, no fuel was drained, nothing. 20-25 years later I opened the case, added fresh fuel and oil and it started on the second pull. I just had the oil pump rebuilt due to rotten rubber, but it runs beautifully.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Another Stihl. Buy once, cry once.

Im the proud owner of my late father's 028V that is so old the bar says "made in WEST Germany". It was repaired once when dad and I failed to get a cottonwood we were topping tied up high enough. The tree followed him down the ladder (the tree won) and the bar was trashed.

Then one day it was put away in the case. Nothing special was done, no fuel was drained, nothing. 20-25 years later I opened the case, added fresh fuel and oil and it started on the second pull. I just had the oil pump rebuilt due to rotten rubber, but it runs beautifully.

I can honestly say i have never had a Stihl saw start cold with two pulls or a blower or a weedwacker start on the second pull. Never
    all of mine start just like the manual states how to start.

on a cold saw,
    Pull throttle and lock choke on and pull starter until the the saw farts and try's to start maybe 3 to 6 pulls
    flip choke off and saw will start with the next pull.

a warm or hot saw, sure 1 or 2 pulls.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Stihl is all I have and they all have decompression buttons. Nothing like starting a big saw with an easy pull.

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    After witnessing a fairly large tree come down at the new property the other night, I have decided that the neighbors offer of "anytime you need a chainsaw, just call me" is going to be a Neverending relationship. We are going to need to buy our own. I am looking for recommendations on a chainsaw that will last. We have 3 acres of woods. I anticipate it will get used moderately but not every day all day stuff. I really don't know the price ranges for saws as I just haven't shopped for them before. I don't know what a good universal bar size would be. Open to all suggestions.

Thank you

Stihl has a number of good videos on chainsaw selection, operation and safety:

STIHL Video Library - Informative Videos about STIHL Outdoor Power Equipment | STIHL USA Mobile

Husqvarna has videos on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/HusqvarnaUSA

Every major chainsaw manufacturer sells three classes of chainsaws - homeowner or occasional use; farm and ranch; and professional use. The homeowner/occasional use saws are intended for use about once a month or so, the farm and ranch for weekly use, and the pro saws are for use every day, all day. I think the best bang for the buck is in the farm and ranch class.

I recommend that you get the smallest saw that will tackle your largest job. It's easier to keep track of what a shorter bar is doing than a saw with very long bar, and a lighter saw will allow you to work longer without tiring. You can always graduate up to a bigger saw when you gain experience. Above all, be safe.

Top Bottom