• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JSJamboree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Avon
    Over the last two or so years I've been getting more and more into fly fishing, however only really in ponds or off a boat. I know Orvis has their guided fly fishing tours but would rather hear from some locals about some streams or locations to go.

I know from the Indiana Stocking report they put some rainbow trout in at Fort Ben. Wonder how crowded that pond is, and if you could actually eat those trout.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    Wade White river up around Strawtown, Perkinsville. Sugar out west around Crawfordsville. Guides do work those stretches also, and I have done it. Everybody's gotta eat. They usually provide boat, gear, lunch, and valuable insight. I'm gonna say Smallmouth mostly on those waters, but that is what I like.

I never eat them. Go fishing, then stop by and have Trout prepared for you, a side, a drink, and table service at Crackerbarrel.

Good time for Steelhead, Salmon, and Smallmouth out of the St Joe just north of the American(Indiana) border. Ripple Guide Service is my recommend. South Bend. Dustan.

Ol boy named Chad guides down more around Central IN.

If you have a good craft and transportation, you could do it all yourself. Wading is a little more difficult and less success.

John W or any of the other boys at Flymasters could hook you up with a guide also. Someone once told me that guide service is just "Tuition". John W would tell you the value of a good guide is always different depending on which side of the counter you are on. He will die one day, I will remember that quote forever. Also, if you ever wonder how those little bitty hooks/flies can possibly land a good fish, John will tell you he can lead a 300 pound man right out the front door with any fly in his shop!

Me.......I just stick to spinning reels, ultralight rods, and a well equipped canoe on any number of creeks in central Indiana. I paid my Tuition to fly fishing class, but I flunked out.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Of course you can eat the trout stocked at Fort Ben. It's more or less a put and take fishery so that's mostly the reason why they are stocked. The only trout you have to worry any at all about are those that come from Lake Michigan or its tributaries. Even then, just follow the fish consumption advisory guidelines. You are putting yourself more at risk while fishing and especially driving there than you would by eating the fish.

IMO, you will get a far better experience by driving the hour and half or so to Brookville and fly fishing the tailwaters for trout than you will at Fort Ben. It can get pretty crowded on the weekends though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Of course you can eat the trout stocked at Fort Ben. It's more or less a put and take fishery so that's mostly the reason why they are stocked. The only trout you have to worry any at all about are those that come from Lake Michigan or its tributaries. Even then, just follow the fish consumption advisory guidelines. You are putting yourself more at risk while fishing and especially driving there than you would by eating the fish.

IMO, you will get a far better experience by driving the hour and half or so to Brookville and fly fishing the tailwaters for trout than you will at Fort Ben. It can get pretty crowded on the weekends though.
    I really, really miss our trout that they took from Brown County and gave to Fort Ben. DNR scoundrels...

JSJamboree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Avon
    Wade White river up around Strawtown, Perkinsville. Sugar out west around Crawfordsville. Guides do work those stretches also, and I have done it. Everybody's gotta eat. They usually provide boat, gear, lunch, and valuable insight. I'm gonna say Smallmouth mostly on those waters, but that is what I like.

John W or any of the other boys at Flymasters could hook you up with a guide also. Someone once told me that guide service is just "Tuition". John W would tell you the value of a good guide is always different depending on which side of the counter you are on. He will die one day, I will remember that quote forever. Also, if you ever wonder how those little bitty hooks/flies can possibly land a good fish, John will tell you he can lead a 300 pound man right out the front door with any fly in his shop!

Been thinking more and more about doing a good guided fish, get a better hang understanding in general. Ive seen large group guided tours in the past and those have turned me off, but i'll look for a 'private tour' with a few buddies and maybe pay a little more instead.

Top Bottom