• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    if you don't walk around with your gun drawn in a constant weaver stance, you might as well be carrying around a rock with a sign on your forehead that says "Please rape me."

oh look, I can make irrational generalizations too.

Obviously, the more prepared you can be on a daily basis the better. But only you can decide what is safest for you and for your family. If you don't feel that carrying a cocked and locked firearm 24/7 is safe in your circumstance, for whatever reason, then carrying without one in the pipe is certainly better than not carrying at all.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Because you have brought up a rather heated debate close to my heart.....

Purse carry is the WORST carry in the world!!!!

Johnny M. Criminal runs past grabs your purse, now has your gun.

Your lipstick pulls the trigger and kills you or the kids.

Plus just the amount of time it takes to retrieve the weapon and make it ready.

If most women's purses are like my wife's purse, then concealing a handgun in there is totally worthless. I've literally seen her rummage through her purse for 2 full minutes looking for her keys... :D

Love you honey!

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm not an advocate for purse carry for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread.

However, I must admit that I bought my wife a Galco handbag specifically for CC because it was that, or she would not carry at all. Like talking to a brick wall. :rolleyes:

When the weather gets better I am going to have her try to draw from the handbag so that she can see why, but also so that she can get used to it in case she does have to draw from it, or fire it from inside the hidden compartment.

BTW, for those with kids, some of these bags have a 'cheesy' zipper lock if your children are not yet old enough to teach gun safety to and you are worried about them accessing it.

CaptainMorgan92

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I honestly don't see the point in carrying if there isnt one in the chamber.

You might as well be carrying an empty pistol if you aren't.

In the event you actually had to use your pistol you don't want to have to fumble around with chambering a round.

That is why I like glocks too, you dont have to worry about external safeties. Once you put your finger on the trigger you are ready to fire

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    I think it is a little different than carrying an empty gun... that is quite a jump to make. Would you rather have a gun without one in the chamber and a full magazine or just a gun with no bullet in the chamber and no mag? Obviously you would rather have one in the chamber but you can see why people choose not to do that sometimes earlier in the thread.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    The absolute worst aspect of my occupation. I've had to deal with way too many grieving parents that will have to live with that decision that for the rest of their lives.. :(

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I honestly don't see the point in carrying if there isnt one in the chamber.

You might as well be carrying an empty pistol if you aren't.

In the event you actually had to use your pistol you don't want to have to fumble around with chambering a round.

That is why I like glocks too, you dont have to worry about external safeties. Once you put your finger on the trigger you are ready to fire

Another reason my wife carries a S&W 442-38 spec. Double action, pull out sidearm--squeeze the trigger.

Last edited:

SonOfLiberty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    When I would EDC a 1911, I practiced my draw ad nauseam to immediately flip the safety off as I was coming out of the holster. Even reloading, I wouldn't engage the safety. I carry an M&P9 now with no external safety, and it is ALWAYS loaded, unless I am cleaning it or practicing drills at home.

Trigger control and discipline is key; manual safeties are on the very bottom of my list of concerns.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    When I would EDC a 1911, I practiced my draw ad nauseam to immediately flip the safety off as I was coming out of the holster. Even reloading, I wouldn't engage the safety. I carry an M&P9 now with no external safety, and it is ALWAYS loaded, unless I am cleaning it or practicing drills at home.

Trigger control and discipline is key; manual safeties are on the very bottom of my list of concerns.
    The person holding the gun is the safety

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    Somebody I knew once carried a Glock that way. Reason? If he had to draw he'd just rack the slide in the same motion, he said, and that's intimidating as all hell!

Right....

Top Bottom