• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Some cities say that they only suggest registration at the local PD for theft, etc, but I wouldn't trust them with the information.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    ^This.

You can carry any gun that you may legally possess (with LTCH as needed). You don't even have to own it.

Yeah, my wife's Aunt & Uncle were heading out to Tri-state range this summer, and the Uncle had his LTCH on him, and the Aunt did not, but had HER weapon with them. DNR decided to do an inspection and ticketed them for a firearms violation since the gun was registered to her. They werent even carrying at the time, just transporting it within reach in their vehicle.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yeah, my wife's Aunt & Uncle were heading out to Tri-state range this summer, and the Uncle had his LTCH on him, and the Aunt did not, but had HER weapon with them. DNR decided to do an inspection and ticketed them for a firearms violation since the gun was registered to her. They werent even carrying at the time, just transporting it within reach in their vehicle.

Wait, what?
    I'm unfamiliar with this location.
    Where did this happen?
    I could not have happened in Indiana.
    If they are from Indiana and went somewhere else it still could not have happened as there is not a registration in Indiana to check against.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    No, it was an outdoor range somewhere around Syracuse.

Syracuse, New York?

Because this could not have happened in Syracuse, Indiana.

OR

Are you saying that your Aunt does not have a LTCH?
    And they told the DNR that it was her gun?
    That would be the only way for him to have known it was her gun.

There is no way for the DNR to check that the gun was registered to her, again there is not a record to check.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Yes, Syracuse Indiana. Tri-County Fish & Wildlife outdoor range.

She DOES have a LTCH, unfortunately, she did not have it on her.
    The DNR officer asked whose gun it was, and she proudly answered truthfully that it was hers.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Sounds like the DNR officer is stretching to bring in revenue for his department. Not that it is common practice, but there have been cases where an officer will write a ticket under shady circumstances with the intent that the receiver of the ticket will pay it and go on, without disputing it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes, Syracuse Indiana. Tri-County Fish & Wildlife outdoor range.

She DOES have a LTCH, unfortunately, she did not have it on her.
    The DNR officer asked whose gun it was, and she proudly answered truthfully that it was hers.

Technically, you don't have to have your LTCH on you. You do have to have one.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Before or after July 1st?

"I do not consent to a search."

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sounds like your wife's aunt needs to be made aware of the law.

IC 35-47-2-24
    Indictment or information; defendant's burden to prove exemption or license; arrest, effect of production of valid license, or establishment of exemption
    Sec. 24. (a) In an information or indictment brought for the enforcement of any provision of this chapter, it is not necessary to negate any exemption specified under this chapter, or to allege the absence of a license required under this chapter. The burden of proof is on the defendant to prove that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, or that he has a license as required under this chapter.
    (b) Whenever a person who has been arrested or charged with a violation of section 1 of this chapter presents a valid license to the prosecuting attorney or establishes that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, any prosecution for a violation of section 1 of this chapter shall be dismissed immediately, and all records of an arrest or proceedings following arrest shall be destroyed immediately.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Re-read subsection (b), as it appears from the info provided that it is relevant. In addition, if this was after July 1, she was not bound to have a LTCH to have a handgun at the range, per SEA 506.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom