• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I don't carry OC anywhere, Indiana or Michigan. I've carried CC in Michigan without any problems. But, then if you're CC, who is gonna know so why should there be problems (traffic stops notwithstanding)?

cdyptrsn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    angola
    i know i can carry there. Michigan is a traditional open carry state. but my father in-law carry lives and carry there, and told me that if a leo sees you the will arrest you.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    I CC in Michigan when I am working there.

Just remember that in Michigan, if a cop pulls you over you have to inform that you are carrying.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    i know i can carry there. Michigan is a traditional open carry state. but my father in-law carry lives and carry there, and told me that if a leo sees you the will arrest you.

Looks like :poop: to me. :dunno:

From MCRGO website:

You were quoted as saying 'open-carry' was still legal in Michigan. I am in possession of a CPL, now but I cannot find any reference to open-carry in my copy of the Michigan Firearms Laws. Please clarify. What is open-carry? When does it apply as compared to my CPL?A:In the 19th century, Michigan outlawed the carry of concealed weapons. The rational was that a person could use a concealed pistol in a fight and surprise his or her opponent. That is, a person had a right to know if the other person was armed before getting in a dispute. Michigan has forbidden the carrying of a pistol without a license in a motor vehicle, whether concealed or not, for much the same reason. Poachers who would hunt from cars may very well be the reason that we can only carry our long guns cased or in the truck of an automobile (MCL 324.43513). There are other laws that forbid the carrying of pistols with an unlawful intent (MCL 750.226), and the brandishing of a firearm (MCL 750.234e). Since there are no laws that forbid it, the open carrying of a pistol or other firearm, without unlawful intent and without brandishing, outside of a vehicle is legal.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    Ohio does not have any open carry laws either. For or against. The right to bear arms is in the constitution, therefore OC is fully legal without having a permit.

I don't know Michigan's laws, but they could be the same as Ohio.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Open Carry is legal in Michigan. There are a few small towns where it is outlawed, but their laws are pre-empted by Michigan State laws. My brother has been to 3-4 open carry picnics/barbecues in the last couple months around the state and hasn't had a problem yet. Check out opencarry.org's michigan forum. They're way more active than we are, mainly because it's more of an issue for them than it is for us.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ohio does not have any open carry laws either. For or against. The right to bear arms is in the constitution, therefore OC is fully legal without having a permit.

I don't know Michigan's laws, but they could be the same as Ohio.

This is an interesting idea. Does this only apply to Ohio residents? There have been others from IN who take the OH permit class because OH does not offer reciprocity with IN. Does an IN resident only need an OH permit in order to CC.

Or, said another way, can an IN resident OC in OH with their IN LTCH and no OH permit?

I think I know the answer (NO!) but here's to wishful thinking! :cheers:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    This is an interesting idea. Does this only apply to Ohio residents? There have been others from IN who take the OH permit class because OH does not offer reciprocity with IN. Does an IN resident only need an OH permit in order to CC.

Or, said another way, can an IN resident OC in OH with their IN LTCH and no OH permit?

I think I know the answer (NO!) but here's to wishful thinking! :cheers:

The only problem with OCing in Ohio without a valid Ohio (or recognized in Ohio) CCW license/permit, is that without having the permit, you can't have a handgun loaded in your car-as far as I know. I'm a bit rusty since I left there a few years ago, but I try to stay somewhat legal when I go back to visit family. What this means is that every time you stop somewhere you'd have to go to the trunk, unlock the pistol, unlock the ammo (you might be able to keep the ammo with you) load and holster the weapon, then do the reverse when leaving. Crap, now I have to go look it up again.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    The only problem with OCing in Ohio without a valid Ohio (or recognized in Ohio) CCW license/permit, is that without having the permit, you can't have a handgun loaded in your car-as far as I know. I'm a bit rusty since I left there a few years ago, but I try to stay somewhat legal when I go back to visit family. What this means is that every time you stop somewhere you'd have to go to the trunk, unlock the pistol, unlock the ammo (you might be able to keep the ammo with you) load and holster the weapon, then do the reverse when leaving. Crap, now I have to go look it up again.

Anyone can OC in Ohio. However, a loaded firearm in a car is considered concealed carry. You also need to know that a loaded magazine or speed loader that fits your hand gun located any where in the car, even if stored separate from the gun counts as a loaded gun. So if you are carrying a semi-auto, you would have to unload the magazine(s) when you got in the car, and load them when you were ready to carry.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I never knew open carry was ok in Michigan.
    But the LEO have different mentality there as far as I am concerned
    Even when I was LEO from Indiana I never got much compassion from them.
    Had one ask for my ID once I showed him my shield & Id card then he said ok enough of the crap show me some REAL ID.
    They go to school to become LEO ( read collage snob)
    As opposed to Other states like Indiana where you can take a collage class but that does not mean thats it , you still need to be hired and then go to the Acadamy.
    Any one can if they meet the qualifications can be hired then sent to the acadmy in Indiana ( still does not mean you can't be a badge with an attitude though)
    My work takes me there and my best friend lives in K zoo his father worked at On Target in k Zoo for a while.
    I've heard many stories of cops arresting persons for legalaly carrying with excuses of Brandishing, and treatening and some have no clue that an Indiana permit is good in Michigan
    They also have a bit of a game if they suspect and you are in a public place of bump frisking you.
    I Carry a copy of a letter from the states attorny general stating that yes my permit is good in thier state.

Before you turn the flame on button just remember my opinion only my opinion

I also think the Ohio LEO need to find some crime to fight not just speeding ticket revenue , they also seem to have that superior attitude, and no I have never got a ticket in Ohio but have witnessed many of them being handed out

Farmritch
    Who used to be a deputy town marshall in a small nothern Indiana town

Top Bottom