• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    My wife and I have wanted to get some sort of camper for several years now. We have 3 young boys (1 born last week!) and have decided it needs to be a priority to get these boys into camping. My 2 older boys want to play outside all day - so we want to keep that interest going. I really like the idea of a cargo trailer conversion for several reasons: cheaper on the front end, I can make it to suit us & should be able to keep it fairly light.

1st question:
    So my concern is how this type of camper will be received in camp grounds. My wife and I have done 0 camping in the last couple decades!

Has anyone done much camping in a converted trailer? Will a conversion be accepted into all camp grounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I have friends with converted cargo trailers. They have never had a problem at any camp grounds. I don't see any problems if it is not leaking anything.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a friend and his wife that have a 2 person sized camper made from a utility trailer. It is easy to pull with a small SUV car. They enjoy it and have never mentioned a word about campgrounds giving them any hassle. The only people I ever saw rejected at a campground was motorcycle riders.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I have a friend and his wife that have a 2 person sized camper made from a utility trailer. It is easy to pull with a small SUV car. They enjoy it and have never mentioned a word about campgrounds giving them any hassle. The only people I ever saw rejected at a campground was motorcycle riders.
    That's why Two Wheels of Suches, GA. was started by the original owner. He got hassled and refused service at a campground. I prefer to motorcycle camp.

TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    This seems like a great space saving option for a conversion. Waiting on a quote before I determine exactly how great this idea is!!

They are made up in Nappanee.

55f0d52de0e7c78125b3950031f8c454.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    At a campground one spring at Enid lake, MS a truck pulls a cargo trailer into the overflow parking area. With the help of another truck they pull a 16 ft boat, motor and trailer out of it. Park the cargo on a camp pad and start setting up the inside for 3 people. The ramp was open for all to see inside. A kitchen in the front with a small fridge and a 7 cuft chest freezer. At night the ramp was closed. Walks around the grounds we talked some. They were from Evansville, IN. They were there 5 days, we were there 7 days.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Many campgrounds have age and type restrictions on the campers they will accept, they usually are in places like Florida and tourist destinations, not typical of Indiana.

Campers can be a clique and if it looks like home built junk socially it may be looked down on, conversely if it is well built and cool many will want to see it.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    The last campground I was at (in Colorado) a couple had a converted diesel ambulance. THAT was cool. They were talk of the campground and gave tours.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have seen several where we have gone. All done well and no issues. Salamonie is where we have been going. Ours is a horse trailer with living quarters. Lots of storage with no horses back there!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I did this quick and sleazy removable conversion of a 14' cargo trailer for camping some years ago.
    Just put in a small bed and whatever else you need for camping in it and remove it when you get back.

The screened in part is not permanently attached and easily removed to use the trailer for cargo.

Worked really well, and many of the guys said they'd rather do this than spend a bunch of money on a dedicated trailer just for camping if their wives would let them. CargoTrailerConversion.jpg

Top Bottom