• ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    question:

my son went deer hunting this year for the first time. the 20 he took had a FTF (fire). i believe the firing pin is not contacting the primers with enough force. he is at that size/age that buying a youth 20 to fit him, in two years, he will be too big for it (not that i MIND having another gun around). and if i buy him a fullsized gun, now, he is too small.

i have a 9mm carbine. would this be LEGAL to hunt with? does the same rule of measure for rifle apply to a carbine (i assume it does, but i don't hunt) specific to caliber? it has a magazine capacity of over 10 rounds. Marlin Camp Carbine, is the firearm in question, also.

i am asking for advise on THIS firearm. please refrain from the "buy a new shotgun!" or "pistol caliber won't kill a deeeeeer...." not asking for purchase or ballistic advice.

thank you! merry christmas!

joe

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Short answer, no. Regulations list minimum caliber handgun for deer to be .357. 9mm is .355 to .356. Also, has to be a pistol or shotgun. I don't think a carbine fits in either category. HTH.

Correction: Center fire rifle is legal if it meets "legal cartridges". The minimum being .357 magnum. So no 9mm.

Last edited:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Cubby,
    Find a lever gun or an H&R Handi rifle in .357. He can practice with cheaper .38's and use a heavy bullet to hunt. I bought a .357 Handi this year and put a Williams peep on the rear. It was very short and, well, Handy! I took a deer early in the season.

If you want him to try one, I have the Handi up for sale, because half way through deer season I finally found a Browning 92 for a reasonable price. They have been discontinued since 1987, and I always wanted one. Email me if you want to borrow the H&R to see if he likes it, I am in Portage.

DanO

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Carbine YES! - 9mm NO! There is a Ruger 44 caliber carbine that is legal, carbine/length of rifle has no bearing here, only caliber!

Dbusby2009

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Madison County
    So there is not length requirement in the weapon as long as it is .357 or bigger you can hunt with it? I have a cabin in wisconsin and we can use high powered rifles there which is great. think this will ever be allowed here?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    i have a 9mm carbine. would this be LEGAL to hunt with?
    Define "Legal"..........Obama makes me miss Bill Clinton.

Handi rifle/single shot in .357 is a great idea. I plan to buy one and cut it down some and pack it away so in the future when I visit Indiana I will have a Deer legal gun I can easily toss in the truck. Small rifle and a handful of ammo packs and carries easy, just like a 9mm carbine.

Would make for a COOL Xmas gift.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Several folks on my website are reaming out the .357 Mag H & R to a .357 Max and they seem to really like it..

Personally my two deer killers are a Ruger .44 mag Carbine (Indiana) and a Remington 870 (Illinois where PCRs are not allowed)

98441bf3.jpg

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    It's really simple folks! To use in a rifle (a carbine is a rifle) the bullet diameter must be at least .357 AND the case must be at least 1.16 inches long (So no 38spl or 9mm parabellum) and not longer than 1.625. Thats it! Barrel length, velocity, action, bottleneck-none of that matters as long as it meets these three criteria.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    It's really simple folks! To use in a rifle (a carbine is a rifle) the bullet diameter must be at least .357 AND the case must be at least 1.16 inches long (So no 38spl or 9mm parabellum) and not longer than 1.625. Thats it! Barrel length, velocity, action, bottleneck-none of that matters as long as it meets these three criteria.

Yep...it is that simple.

That could possibly change to a case length of 1.80 (Hello, .460s!) in the future as that was part of a proposal by the IDNR this last go around. The TOTAL proposal was totally withdrawn because of a huge amount of negative input against the moving and shortening of the gun seasons and shortening of the MZ seasons. I think the 1.80 case length will be back.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'm currently using a Marlin 1894 - 44mag. It is a great little deer gun. Couple other people I know are using the Ruger 44mag with great success.

If the 1.8" length ever happens I'll probably look into a .450 bushy AR. But only time will tell

chevy2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    .458 socom is currently legal in Indiana and on an ar platform with a collasable stock would have an adjustable length of pull.

Top Bottom