• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Does anyone know the legality of this? I was curious if I could go squirrel hunting with a silencer or varmints in general.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It is illegal to my knowledge. A leftover from the depression days. I had the same idea you did and it got shot down.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It depends on the game and the location. In Indiana, you may not use a silencer to hunt with. That said, you can hunt non-game animals and use them then. The example I have been given is the statute for hunting Coyotes, it states that you can hunt them any time using any equipment.

From the DNR website:
    It is legal to hunt fox and coyote with the use of mouth- or hand-operated calls, or with the use of recorded calls. Spotlights may be used to take fox and coyote. There are no restrictions on hunting hours or firearms.

Of course this is open to interpretation. The above quoted passage, IMHO, means that you CAN use a silencer when hunting Coyotes because a silencer is, by definiton, a firearm. The passage states "no restrictions on firearms" ergo silencers are not restricted. This can, and should, cause great debate. It is yet another example of Indiana firearms laws that should be void for vagueness.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    This is an interesting point you make VUPD. Especially due to the nature of coyote hunting (night), silencers would be appreciated by the neighbors.

Have you ever discussed this with someone at the state level?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That also brings the question of the crop depredation permits. I'm not familiar with those rules, but I do know they aren't the same as normal. I've seen various accounts of rifles, no seasons and possibly even night hunting being allowed? Wonder if suppressors would be legit for this?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    That also brings the question of the crop depredation permits. I'm not familiar with those rules, but I do know they aren't the same as normal. I've seen various accounts of rifles, no seasons and possibly even night hunting being allowed? Wonder if suppressors would be legit for this?

I've been wondering that same thing. One of our fields is on the north side of our woods and pond. And I always see deer out there in the off season. But can never find them during the season (property across the road is no hunting allowed, they have a safe spot). So if its possible I'd love to see if I can get them during the off season, and if I have to stick to the rules on the firearms since we are farmers and use the ground for crops. MMM a silenced 30-06 or SKS would do very nicely :D

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    its only illegal if you get caught. i never received hearing or notification on when or where these laws were made. since i wasnt there/present and wasnt consulted. who says those laws/rules apply especially when i didnt sign off on a agreement that i will abide the rules of which i wasnt infromed of and consulted. :D:D:moon:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    its only illegal if you get caught. i never received hearing or notification on when or where these laws were made. since i wasnt there/present and wasnt consulted. who says those laws/rules apply especially when i didnt sign off on a agreement that i will abide the rules of which i wasnt infromed of and consulted. :D:D:moon:

I believe you are joking but I hope you realize this would never fly and the authorities would grill you up for lunch and never break a sweat.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    No, you can not use a silencer while hunting in Indiana.

IC 14-22-6-11
    Silencers prohibited
    Sec. 11. (a) This section does not apply to an employee of the department or an employee of a federal wildlife management agency who:
    (1) is acting in the performance of the employee's duties; and
    (2) has received the express written consent of the director for the employee's action.
    (b) A person may not:
    (1) use or possess an apparatus designed for use with or on a firearm commonly called a silencer; or
    (2) use or possess a device used as a silencer;
    in Indiana while in the act of hunting.
    As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.15. Amended by P.L.13-2007, SEC.2.

IC 14-8-2-128
    "Hunt"
    Sec. 128. "Hunt", for purposes of IC 14-22, means to take a wild animal except by trapping.
    As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.1.

IC 14-8-2-228
    "Pursue"
    Sec. 228. "Pursue", for purposes of IC 14-22, means following wild animals with the intent to take.
    As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.1.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    its only illegal if you get caught. i never received hearing or notification on when or where these laws were made. since i wasnt there/present and wasnt consulted. who says those laws/rules apply especially when i didnt sign off on a agreement that i will abide the rule?s of which i wasnt infromed of and consulted. :D:D:moon:

You've seen "Waiting..." haven't you?

Top Bottom