can someone who knows about shipping back to manuf help me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    So Taurus sent me a shipping label to return a gun for rework. they told me to ship it back in the box it came with but to add an outer box to make it more discreet. i just need to know how/where i can drop off at a pick up location without freaking the counter person out. I'm tired of reading google results that contradict each other.

Can someone in the know help?

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    It depends who's shipping label it is...that is where it needs to go. Do not take it to one of the private owned shipping/packing stores...they will freak about it.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    You can't take it to any location. Check the internet. I have used a FedEx label before and I had to go to the Main FedEx Ship Center at 7105 W. Morris St. Other FedEx locations and drop boxes won't work. You could call their 24 hr phone service and ask for instructions. I would expect similar with UPS.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Also, put it in the box and seal it up before you go, with label on the front. They may ask you if it has ammo, etc, but they won't want to see it and they must see things like this regularly, so no drama! You probably need to declare what is in the package, but my guys didn't bat an eyelid. There was a "No Firearms" sign on the door, but no worries if all sealed up in a box. Get a receipt for CYA purposes with Taurus and you can track when it is delivered also.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    You have to ship it out of a main distribution hub, not some small branch.

Or you can have a driver pick it up, but if you do that you MUST inform them it is a firearm.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    send it the way Taurus said to do it. make sure you get proof you have sent it too. I had to get the BATFE involved last time I sent Taurus a gun back, They swore they never got it despite my having proof. The BATFE got them to "find" it for me though.

The return label has who to drop it with right on it, read it. You must take it to the office of either FedEx or UPS and not one of the "stores".

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    If there isn't a hub nearby save yourself the hassle and schedule a pick up. Tell them what you're shipping when you schedule it and inform the driver. No big deal. Just sent one back to S&W who uses Fed EX and they picked it up the same day I scheduled it.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    Just curious, what is the model and what is wrong with it? I hope you will see it back by the first of August!
    tcp 380. there is a pin in the ball that sits atop the trigger on the inside that is working itself loose. This is preventing the trigger from pulling all the way back and the hammer won't fall. google tells me others have had the same issue. customer service person told me to plan on being without it for 6 weeks.

I'll take it to the place on W. Morris st. what a pain in the a$$.

Thanks for all the good intel guys.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You may also be able to have the item "picked up"...

But yes - a main hub should do it.

However - the two times I've done it, I went to the FedEx / Kinkos on US 31 on Indy's south side. Been several years, though. Guess they've made their franchises tighten the rules up.

I did have to purchase a shipping box to put the gun case in, however. I did take out ALL EXTRAS - including paperwork. (I hoped against hope to receive an extra magazine in return - didn't happen. heh)

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I have sent a Colt to Colt a few years ago, A Ruger to Ruger a few years ago, in these cases I used the Fed Ex Depot in Columbus , INdiana. There were no issues at that time at all.
    No one thought much about it. One more package. The last time was maybe 2-3 years ago. Times have changed I am sure . Dont know where your at, Dont need to know, You'll get good advice on here.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Pack the gun in a good strong box and use clear packing tape on all flaps of the box, to ensure it won't accidentally open from rough handleing. Place the shipping label on the box, along with your return address, just like a letter, then take it to any FedEx location. FedEx commonly handles gun shipments like this daily, and won't question it at all. Before shipping the box, make a copy of the shipping label Taurus provided, just for your records. They'll give you a receipt of your shipment with a tracking number so you can follow it's progress in route.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    I sent my Springfield XDS back to the manufacturer last fall for a recall, and they supplied me with a shipping label, just like Taurus did for you. I didn't send it to them in the original case because I wanted to make sure they didn't send it back in a plain box instead. I shipped it from the local FedEx store on south Meridian St. in Greenwood. No problems at all, and when they shipped it back to me, I had to be available to sign for it. If you're not available, an adult will have to sign for you, or they'll take it back to the main distribution center, and you'll have to go there to retrieve it.

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    I dropped one off at a fedex store. Make sure to write down the tracking number, When fedex returned it I had to sign for it. I have had to send 2 back both used fedex.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I've sent guns back to several manufacturers for warranty repairs. I would NOT send the original box - I always keep it as proof that I actually owned the gun with that particular serial number. As stated in previous posts, DO NOT include any accessories. I don't even include a magazine - they might forget to return it to you. If a magazine is needed for troubleshooting, the factory will have one. And you never know, they might include a new one when they return it to you.

And although it should go without saying, make sure it's unloaded.

Good luck getting your TCP repaired correctly. After two trips back to Taurus, I still couldn't trust mine, and I ended up trading it.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    i dropped it off in a non descript box @ depot on w morris st. today. piece of cake. I told the guy "i'm supposed to tell you its a firearm" He says "any ammo in here?" me "no" him "here's your receipt"

in and out in less than 60 seconds.

thanks again all.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    i dropped it off in a non descript box @ depot on w morris st. today. piece of cake. I told the guy "i'm supposed to tell you its a firearm" He says "any ammo in here?" me "no" him "here's your receipt"

in and out in less than 60 seconds.

thanks again all.

Don't hold your breath, but,

I just sent a TCP .380 back to Taurus a few months ago.
    It was not displaying the same issue you described. Mine had a failure to eject issue that caused other problems like trying to feed a new round when the spent case is still half chambered. Double-stacking doesn't work well in the TCP.

Taurus customer service told me 6 weeks. Two weeks after I dropped it off I got a letter in the mail from Taurus customer service explaining that they had decided to replace, rather than repair my TCP.
    I thought it should have been an easy fix, but they must have found yet another problem.

Long story short, my brand new TCP was at my friendly neighborhood FFL about 4 days later.

Top Bottom