Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    IMAG0852.jpg

IMAG0851.jpg

IMAG0850.jpg

IMAG0849.jpg

any ideas? I've heard from a few guys that it's an italian carcano but I have looked at pictures of them and it doesn seem to be an exact match. It also seems shorter and has a ring that I would guess is for cavalry. Would also make sense why it is shorter. Possible a special version??

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Whatever it is, it's awesome! How did it come into your possession?

Mauser action. I've never seen it as far as any US military small arms. So it's European or South American origin (somewhat educated guess).

:popcorn:

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Spanish Mauser saddle-ring carbine

does appear to be similar, but as you stated the front end is a bit different. It also has sling mounts on the left side, I will try to get a picture and post it as well. The one in the stock is stationary and the one on the forearm is a swivel type.

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Whatever it is, it's awesome! How did it come into your possession?

Mauser action. I've never seen it as far as any US military small arms. So it's European or South American origin (somewhat educated guess).

:popcorn:

thanks! I agree! It's a very unique gun for sure. I walked around an outdoor flea market with it today and it recieved A LOT of attention, but no one really seemed very certain of what it was. I purchased it from my little brother who has many mausers. I would like to see what it's worth, although im not sure I can part with it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Might be a Brazilian 1894 carbine. I found this description on a Mauser-related website:

Model 1894 Mauser Cavalry Carbine
    This carbine has a straight wrist stock that is not full length and is equipped with a saddle ring on the bottom just behind the trigger guard. There is no bayonet lug.
    Specs. are: Length 37.38 inches; Weight 6.85 lbs.; Barrel 18.0 inches; Caliber 7x57mm

But I have yet to find a picture online to confirm it. Any markings on the receiver to help us out?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I think that's a solid ID. Considering the age, I would bet someone thought they had a good reason to change the front end at some point in its life.

Not the first time I've seen a good rifle modified for "no apparent reason". TheMacallan has a Winchester 1892 with a barrel 2" short because at some point in its life, someone decided to recrown the muzzle. Apparently a common practice back in the day..

Last edited:

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Might be a Brazilian 1894 carbine. I found this description on a Mauser-related website:

Model 1894 Mauser Cavalry Carbine
    This carbine has a straight wrist stock that is not full length and is equipped with a saddle ring on the bottom just behind the trigger guard. There is no bayonet lug.
    Specs. are: Length 37.38 inches; Weight 6.85 lbs.; Barrel 18.0 inches; Caliber 7x57mm

But I have yet to find a picture online to confirm it. Any markings on the receiver to help us out?

only markings on the gun are the numbers "3727" on the bottom of the clip housing, "8647" possibly, in front of the action and "6123" on the back of the action.. there is also a few VERY small images on it.. I will attach some more pics in a minute

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    ok after close look at the spanish mauser saddle ring carbine it is exact in EVERY single way except the front. I agree that the front has probably been modified for some stupid reason.

Last edited:

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    ok so according to mastertons.us it is a model 1895, but some others sites show pictures of the full length forearm carbine version as an 1893.

I also found pictures of the maltese cross and the 4-pointed star like the ones I found and posted pictures of on mine on a "german" mauser. Is it just a german mauser because mausers were originally manufactured in Germany and then just supplied to other countries thereafter, making all mausers technially "german mausers"?

Top Bottom