• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    What sort of set up does everyone recommend? Looking for recommendations for back yard fire pit, but also something that can be taken on camping trips with the family. Input much appreciated.

Last edited:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I use an old oven rack. Grill racks work too. Next time you see a grill on the curb on trash day, take the racks out of it. that's how I got the oven rack.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have some sort of heavy cast iron one, with folding legs. Kinda like this:
    images

Had it for years. Used to have a thin cardboard box to carry it (it gets pretty dirty).

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    7703deab61af1adb3e4b3dd711a49087.jpg

We've had several over the years. The one that looks similar to this is my favorite. It's pretty versatile. They're pretty pricey, but nice, especially if you plan to use it a lot.

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    El Director, I have been considering one like that, but wasn't sure if you can cook directly on the grates like that? Seems very portable to take to other camp sights

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Cindy E, thank you. I have seen some at the Trail of courage, but didn't have time to stop and see about pricing, and then the event got rained out this year. I will have to check that next year, or possibly the Covered Bridge festival.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Cindy E, thank you. I have seen some at the Trail of courage, but didn't have time to stop and see about pricing, and then the event got rained out this year. I will have to check that next year, or possibly the Covered Bridge festival.

I've also seen them at Feast of the Hunter's Moon in Lafayette. We've had several different ones, the worst was the Coleman tripod. If you get one like the one we have, I doubt you will ever need another one.
    Haven't been camping much lately, but one of these days i'd like to get back into it. We used to go at least every other weekend, and i have cooked lots of stuff over the fire!

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Thanks again CindyE, will keep my eye open. Nice to know different places to pick something like that up.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Camp Chef Mountain Man Over-The-Fire Grill and Griddle.

You can check them out in the back corner of Gander Mountain although they are much cheaper elsewhere.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    SMiller, i like the looks and concept of that Camp Chef Mountain Man over the fire grill / griddle. Thanks for sharing that option, i will look into it.

Top Bottom