• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I actually don't hunt any more, cause wife won't eat game meat, but did want to build a .450 Bushmaster so my son and a friend could use it. However I have not found a source for Barrels or bolts for the Bushmaster! Don't know, but maybe Bushmaster has a patent or some other protection against other sales? The Bushmaster does have quite a bit better ballistics and theoretically should be more accurate and effective to at least 150 yards ~ probably 200?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ you know I'm kidding right? "purple implied" Wait, you are pretty new here so maybe not. I see you found the chill pill emoticon though. You'll do good here. :ingo:

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Anyone here have good load data for the 300 grain TTSX? I searched the site and didn't find any. I just got my 458 put together. I have 100 SBR 300 grain TTSX rounds to use this year, but wanted to load my own toward the future. It seems to be less technically challenging than 223. I have looked around quite a bit and most of the data I find is old and unrefined/spotty and for different bullets. I expect the 300 TTSX to be more common for us Indiana users given our deer caliber restrictions.

I have some Starline brass and the Hornady 458 2 die kit. I use a Dillon 650.

EDIT: just found the thread discussing! :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I love my .458 socoms. I have an AR and a bolt action. Check out www.458socomforums.com - Index. Lots of good info there. I researched for quite a while. Don't buy the WILSON. Buy from Tromix Lead Delivery Systems - Online. The quality is great and they have everything in stock. Tropic is owned by the guy who originally figured out how to make the 458 socom work in an AR. He has worked with the developer of the round since the beginning. Great company and great service.
    ^^^
    i ordered from Tromix when I built my 458 AR. They have a parts kit more or less, it just requires a stripped upper with the ejection port opened up to complete. First time building an upper but it was no problem. I highly recommend them and the 458 forum. Both are absolutely top notch for parts and info. Wilson combat did not have parts in stock and complete uppers were very pricey! Wasn't a fan of R ock River either with their barrel looking shroud. Used a regular had guard retainer opened up to fit the bigger diameter of the socom barrel journal and used a magpul carbine length hand guard. It turned out great!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Getting started on an AR SBR .458, and been shopping for a can as well. They do indeed go subsonic very well; I've been watching videos. May need to go night vision as well. Just imagine a slab of lead like that coming at you out of the dark. Just reminded I need a die set :)

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    If anyone needs any loaded ammo, bullets, or H110....let us know. We've got a bunch of stuff on hand and inbound for the hunting season.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have built 4 socoms to date and love them all, the latest was a wilson build kit.
    they make great youth deer guns.

Wow, you and I have very different views on what makes a youth deer gun. I think of a short stock 20ga or in other states a .243 or the like. A lightweight gun shooting a mild recoiling round.

I built my .458socom to be heavy as possible because it kicks like a mule on steroids, and this is coming from someone who enjoys shooting a .50bmg!

Of course one can down-load the .458, and kudos to any kids you have shooting one who can shoot it well, but I certainly don't consider it a youth gun!

cncswiss1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Fishers/Noblesville
    If your socom is kicking like a mule you might consider looking at adjustable gas blocks, a good deal of the recoil could be from an imbalance in the buffer/spring/gas setup.
    with 300 grain TTSX @1850 mine are quite smooth (given the slightly heavier main spring, a H2 buffer OR an adjustable gas block (the smother of my 2 solutions IMHO)
    I guess it depends on how old the kids are :)- fine for my 14 year old boy.
    my 10 yr daughter isn't ready yet, if she really pressed me to take her out it would be like you stated, a short stock single shot 44mag PCR

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If your socom is kicking like a mule you might consider looking at adjustable gas blocks, a good deal of the recoil could be from an imbalance in the buffer/spring/gas setup.
    with 300 grain TTSX @1850 mine are quite smooth (given the slightly heavier main spring, a H2 buffer OR an adjustable gas block (the smother of my 2 solutions IMHO)
    I guess it depends on how old the kids are :)- fine for my 14 year old boy.
    my 10 yr daughter isn't ready yet, if she really pressed me to take her out it would be like you stated, a short stock single shot 44mag PCR

I'm running the stock RRA upper assembly and spring/ buffer, but I might play around with those a bit to see if I can soften it. I don't mind the recoil as I said I am used to it, but I never thought of it as a youth gun unless I wanted to teach them to flinch 8-)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Getting started on an AR SBR .458, and been shopping for a can as well. They do indeed go subsonic very well; I've been watching videos. May need to go night vision as well. Just imagine a slab of lead like that coming at you out of the dark. Just reminded I need a die set :)

I build my Titanium Form 1 HOP50 can with my SOCOM 458 in mind. Maybe you should try mine out then build yourself one. :patriot:

Top Bottom