• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunpowder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Marshall County
    Generally,I have observed that most recommended a SHTF caliber that matched military. The thought was there would be plenty of NATO rounds, etc.

Considering the recent shortage we are experiencing including even .22's, perhaps a less popular caliber would be more prudent.

The local gun shop said 9mm is rare and forget .223, etc. He said it was easier to get the less popular calibers.

What say You?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Elkhart
    I dont think you'll want to go really rare, 30-378 or something, maybe something popular but not .223/7.62 more of the .338, 300wsm...or the like. It'll be popular enough a mom&pop should have it but it wont be the first to go. slugs too

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Absolutely not.

Stick with standards, esp nato standards +7.62x39.

.22lr
    7.62x39
    .30-06

9mm

Stick with those above (ok you could throw a nice .357 or .44, .300wm or 7mmmag in there, but they are expensive vs. the others...) stock will come back, just give it a few months.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i agree with rgoziner, stick with what you know and whats NATO. its prevalent and popular which means lots of production worldwide.
    i was in the outdoorsman in johnson county, just yesterday and purchased some pmc xtac 5.56. they had plenty on the shelf and claimed lots more in the back, along with some PPU and pmc bronze. its not impossible to find, just gonna take time for demand to slow down, and supply to catch back up

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    .22 LR
    7.62x39
    .223/5.56
    9mm
    12 gauge

.308 for long range stuff

The first five you can find just about any place you will ever go or out laying around. The last ones are common but not nearly as common as the first ones.

If I had to only have a few calibers it would be,

7.62x39
    9mm

Again you can and will be able to find them pretty much all over the earth and just about everyone has at least one of them.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Personally I have firearms that shoot calibers that are different than the most popular. I stock up on them as well. Not as much, but I do.

I have the 'standard' cache of .223/5.56, 7.62x39, .308, 9mm, .45 acp, .22lr and 12 gauge of various types.

I also have .40 S&W, .38 spl, .357 mag, .44 mag/spl, .17 HMR, .22 mag, 30-06, 30-30 etc.

My thought has been that I would rather have something than nothing. I enjoy shooting. I enjoy the different calibers.

When one caliber runs dry on the shelves I can still play with the others without eating up my cache.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Hopefully ammo scarcity should slow down. Take that opportunity to stock up to what you deem reasonable. Unless your a certified prepper with a compound your limited to what you can carry and or transport when you get driven from your initial safe place. How many of us can really stay in our homes where we have stockpiled 5K rounds of each caliber?

At some point you would have to move to find food and supplies.....and a safe place once your supply is exhausted and or your in a dangerous spot. That is where being on standard calibers will be of benefit. You might be able to trade for 9mm or .223. You would stand a better chance of finding those calibers in an abandoned home and or in the packs of the deceased.

There is a reason why .223 amd 9mm and .22lr fly off the shelves. They are out there in the general population and available via various method if SHTF.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    He said it was easier to get the less popular calibers.

What say You?
    Ask yourself WHY that is and then focus.

You are better off with a chest rig filled with 300 rounds of .223 then you are 3000 22-250. After 300 rounds someone is dead, you or the other guys, to the victor go the spoils.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Don't own AR. Couldn't afford one when they were cheaper. A basic Savage can be had for about $400
    Go a 16" heavy barrel .223, or something in a .308.

I have yet to do it, BUT I think it is a good idea to own at least one bolt in each major caliber I use. You can use the same ammo, silencers and optics. I have killed plenty of deer with an AR in .223 (not in Indiana). Once you step away from FMJ and use proper hunting ammo it is devastating on any living being you shoot. Deer to 125-150 yards easy for one shot kills with 0 power red dot optics.

Consider this:
    While hunting, what will you shoot bigger than a deer over 150 yards? If that is an issue go bigger. In SHTF ethical one shot kills are not a big issue Hunting. In defensive situations, over 150-200 yards, no reason to shoot, just slip away.

A cheap way to go bolt .308 are the Spanish FR8's. May not be cheap today, but they were cheap the last 15 years. Not great for a scope.

I have no clue but I would assume .308 bolts may have vaporized. A lot of guys do like I did, and set up one AR in .223 or .308 to be a precision gun and heavy hitter and serve the role of a scoped gun, no need for a bolt. If they buy bolt they usually go .308

If you were my family and in your situation today, I would say get a .223 bolt or a lever gun in a main stream hunting caliber. No need to buy any mags, just buy ammo and practice. A .357 lever gun can do a lot for a guy in Indiana. It will be relatively easy to get a revolver later in .357 to go along with it. .38 special gives you cheap practice ammo option.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Generally,I have observed that most recommended a SHTF caliber that matched military. The thought was there would be plenty of NATO rounds, etc.

Considering the recent shortage we are experiencing including even .22's, perhaps a less popular caliber would be more prudent.

The local gun shop said 9mm is rare and forget .223, etc. He said it was easier to get the less popular calibers.

What say You?

You are getting a taste for SHTF.

In an actual SHTF, the shelves will clear out even quicker. You'll see people buying (or stealing) ammo they don't even have guns for, even if the thought is to buy one later or trade the ammo for something.

You need to buy what you will need/want now, not plan on getting it off the shelf in a SHTF situation.

You can still 9mm on the shelves if you are willing to pay for it. Walmart has been out of the white box every time I've been in for week but they had boxes of 9mm PPU on the shelf tonight for 15 bucks a box. Still cheaper than some odd ball caliber.

I was out at midwest gun exchange last weekend, they had cases of 9mm, again 15 a box.

Be it .22lr, 9mm or the latest or oldest whizbang round, you need to have a supply on hand.

Personally I'm shocked, that after the last few scares, people still buy weekend to weekend on their way to the range with never having more than a box or two in the house.

Hopefully people learn something from this and have at least a range trips worth of ammo on hand at all times.

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    from what I've seen this time: 38spl, 357, 30-30, 30-06, 300win mag, 270, 243, and 22-250 were not picked over. Each time the panic hits it's different. So I drag out the stuff that I don't shoot much (6.5x52carcano) because for some reason there is more of it (and 7.5japanese) then normal.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You are getting a taste for SHTF.

In an actual SHTF, the shelves will clear out even quicker. You'll see people buying (or stealing) ammo they don't even have guns for, even if the thought is to buy one later or trade the ammo for something.

You need to buy what you will need/want now, not plan on getting it off the shelf in a SHTF situation.

You can still 9mm on the shelves if you are willing to pay for it. Walmart has been out of the white box every time I've been in for week but they had boxes of 9mm PPU on the shelf tonight for 15 bucks a box. Still cheaper than some odd ball caliber.

I was out at midwest gun exchange last weekend, they had cases of 9mm, again 15 a box.

Be it .22lr, 9mm or the latest or oldest whizbang round, you need to have a supply on hand.

Personally I'm shocked, that after the last few scares, people still buy weekend to weekend on their way to the range with never having more than a box or two in the house.

Hopefully people learn something from this and have at least a range trips worth of ammo on hand at all times.

This^^

The thing to remember is there are short term and long term considerations.

In the short term, I never understood the argument that you should buy caliber X because if SHTF you'll be able to more easily find it.

Uh, not really. That's like saying you should drink water instead of milk because if you get a devastating storm, it will be easier to get. This wasn't true for Katrina nor for recent storm Sandy.

In the long term, yes-- any Nato caliber will be much easier to get just because the total amount in existence is much higher. It doesn't mean it will be cheaper-- there will be much demand for those rounds-- just that you WILL be able to find it.

But in the short run, stockpiling is the only insurance you have. Caliber choice is only marginally relevant here.

I think think it'd a much better idea to have 50K rounds of .22lr than to have 5K rounds of 5.56. They would cost about the same, right?

JMO

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I saw only 2 mentions of .30/30 but every farm supply/ hardware/ Walmart carries that. It's even more prevalent than .30/06. I'd give it some consideration.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    One thing I've noticed this time around that is the same as the last time is that there seems to be plenty of .40 S&W on the shelf. It's popular enough to be carried by Meijers, yet not popular enough to disappear with everything else.

One thing that's different though is that they also have a bunch of .380 too. That had disappeared last time and with the popularity of .380s, I would have figured it would disappear again. But the ammo case was empty of all handgun calibers except .40 and .380 last time I was there.

I really ought to by something in .40 or at least a .40 barrel for something I already have in 10mm.

Top Bottom