• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Stopped by this place on the way to Chi-Town this weekend since it was right along the highway- just to see what I could see. I think I've been in there one other time many years ago, but I only remember walking through it quickly, not really looking at anything in particular. This visit, I checked over a number of things, including the shooting stuff in general, new guns, pre-owned guns and visited the "gun library".

I'm confused.....

1. Man...are their prices on just about anything they have always that high?

2. Do you always have to have "permission" to step up to the display cases at the gun counter?

3. Is it customary for them to only "show" you a gun that you might be interested in purchasing at said new gun counter, instead of letting you hold it and then putting it back on the rack after they're done with "show-n-tell" with you about said gun?

4. Why do they have 3 racks of "pre-owned" guns out on the racks in the wide-open that you can hold, look closely over, etc., but then they have their "gun library" that you have to chase someone down to ask them to "allow" you to see a gun first-hand?

5. I was seriously looking at a very nice Ruger 3-screw, Flat-Top "Old Model" Super Blackhawk .44 mag wheelie gun they had for $625 :rolleyes: and when I politely asked how much they could move on it, they gleefully said, "well, since it's been here for over 30-days, we can make you a "special" deal today for only $609....." :blahblah:

Odd place..... Did I say I was confused?

I did buy some .380 ammo they had decent prices on, but I felt like I was in the "Lowes" of outfitter stores. I think I'll stick to and support my local, privately owned gunshop(s) where the owner is glad to chat with you, haggle, offer selection advice w/out the "salesman pressure", etc.

Anyone from that area that's been there experience what I did?

Ohhh, by the way- I think I pissed the check-out girl off when she asked me for my phone number during checkout, even though I was paying by cash. I asked her whey she needed that and she just said, "cause we do, it's just demographics". I politely replied, "my number is 911 and I live in Indiana"..... She just slammed my change into my hand with a smirk and I again politely said, "thank you, have a nice night". :whistle:

Did I say, Odd Place? :nuts:

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Stopped by this place on the way to Chi-Town this weekend since it was right along the highway- just to see what I could see. I think I've been in there one other time many years ago, but I only remember walking through it quickly, not really looking at anything in particular. This visit, I checked over a number of things, including the shooting stuff in general, new guns, pre-owned guns and visited the "gun library".

I'm confused.....

1. Man...are their prices on just about anything they have always that high?

Their regular prices are on the high end. You can get some decent deals when they run sales.

2. Do you always have to have "permission" to step up to the display cases at the gun counter?

I've never asked permission to step up to the counter. I look at the handguns in the glass and then a sales associate usually comes up and asks if they can help me.

3. Is it customary for them to only "show" you a gun that you might be interested in purchasing at said new gun counter, instead of letting you hold it and then putting it back on the rack after they're done with "show-n-tell" with you about said gun?

Whenever I've asked to see a gun, they check for unloaded and hand it to me.

4. Why do they have 3 racks of "pre-owned" guns out on the racks in the wide-open that you can hold, look closely over, etc., but then they have their "gun library" that you have to chase someone down to ask them to "allow" you to see a gun first-hand?

Did you look at the value on the stuff in the Gun Library? Most of it is pretty high-end stuff. If I owned it, I wouldn't want people pawing over it without being halfway serious about purchasing it. The stuff on the racks outside the Library is pretty run-of-the-mill used stuff. Nothing usually worth too much money, though they do have some halfway decent 1903's up there.
    5. I was seriously looking at a very nice Ruger 3-screw, Flat-Top "Old Model" Super Blackhawk .44 mag wheelie gun they had for $625 :rolleyes: and when I politely asked how much they could move on it, they gleefully said, "well, since it's been here for over 30-days, we can make you a "special" deal today for only $609....." :blahblah:

Odd place..... Did I say I was confused?

I did buy some .380 ammo they had decent prices on, but I felt like I was in the "Lowes" of outfitter stores. I think I'll stick to and support my local, privately owned gunshop(s) where the owner is glad to chat with you, haggle, offer selection advice w/out the "salesman pressure", etc.

Anyone from that area that's been there experience what I did?

Ohhh, by the way- I think I pissed the check-out girl off when she asked me for my phone number during checkout, even though I was paying by cash. I asked her whey she needed that and she just said, "cause we do, it's just demographics". I politely replied, "my number is 911 and I live in Indiana"..... She just slammed my change into my hand with a smirk and I again politely said, "thank you, have a nice night". :whistle:

Did I say, Odd Place? :nuts:

You must be a pretty shady-looking character. =) Never been treated the way you're describing. I do understand the cashier not appreciating your smart-ass answer. =)

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Never been in there, but if it is like you say...im not interested in going.

I have been in the Bass Pro off the interstate...was good.

But there prices were high as well, i think your going to pay higher prices at any large outfitter type stores like that.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    You must be a pretty shady-looking character. =) Never been treated the way you're describing. I do understand the cashier not appreciating your smart-ass answer. =)

First off, I didn't actually go up to the gun case/counter, because they had a big banner in front of it with a sign at the end stating, "ask for permission before coming forward". I read that and saw that other people were "waiting" to step up to the mile-long counter and I just chuckled and walked away.

Secondly, the reason I asked about the show/tell session, was because there was a guy that must have actually got "permission" to go up to the counter and the sales person proceded to show the gun to the guy, tell him all about it and then put it right back on the rack. He did this twice with the same guy and the only thing they guy was looking at was non descript long-guns.

Thirdly, there is no need for any retailer to have my personal cell phone number when I'm buying something with cash- especially piddley things; hence the polite way I gave her the answer i did. If she had a problem with it....well, then that's her problem and I can assure you I'll not lose one single wink over it tonight.

I've never really liked the "big" feeling of Lowes and this seems to hold true with Cabela's... I likely never go back, which will probaly suit them just as well as it suits me, but....I've bought 5 guns over the last 6 weeks, so it's more their loss than mine. ;)

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Interesting exchange. I've only been there once and my experience was quite different. I ended up getting a real good deal on a S&W Mod 10-5 38 Spec Snubby. The lady behind the counter came out and walked the isles with Mrs GGF and I trying to help the Mrs find a holster she was comfortable with. If there were signs about asking to approach the counter, I sure didn't see them, we just walked up and told them what we wanted to look at. We also picked up a couple of holsters, some ammo, some outdoor stuff & other gear. All in all, a very pleasurable experience.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    The one thing that was interesting to see was all the big game trophies scattered about the place. Some of them looked synthetic/fake, but a number of them actually had a Boone & Crockett rating on them- which was cool. :)

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Yea, the $850 olympic ar15 must be really high end lol

That's why I said MOST of the stuff, smart alec. There is some BIG $$$ shotguns and rifles in there. MOST of it isn't something they (or any other shop) would have out an a rack in the middle of the store.

OP, I've never seen any banner stating that you must ask for permission to approach the counter. That's really lame. Do you have to back away bowing to the salesman the whole time too, never turning your back on the counter? =)

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    OP, I've never seen any banner stating that you must ask for permission to approach the counter. That's really lame. Do you have to back away bowing to the salesman the whole time too, never turning your back on the counter? =)

It's kinda like this:

the_soup_nazi028.jpg

2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    backfire, are you a younger guy? I have noticed that their gun counter is frequented by young males of large economic diversity from the the northern cities in Lake County. I think they stereotype based on age, since they seem to be surprised that I have both knowledge and cash.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    That's why I said MOST of the stuff, smart alec. There is some BIG $$$ shotguns and rifles in there. MOST of it isn't something they (or any other shop) would have out an a rack in the middle of the store.

I thought it was odd too, as I'd never seen that before. The hand-written sign was at the very far left end of the new gun case/counter, near the soft gun cases and they had a looongggg black banner attached to poles, which ran the entire length of the gun case, all the way to the area where you fill out gun purchase paperwork. We were there on Sunday afternoon, so it wasn't exceptionally busy.

Oh well- it's their show, their rules I guess. :popcorn:

I would have walked out with the clean Ruger had they came down to $575. Had to walk away to buy another day.. ;)

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond

This idea is relatively new from what I've noticed. I'm a Hammond resident, and frequent that store quite a bit.

The new railing/cords are not always in place, but seem to be put there due to the extremely high volume of people at that counter. I've been there on a Saturday evening when they were absolutely slammed. I mean like a 2 deep line to fill out your 4473 on the computer!

I think between the sheer amount of people they get there, coupled with many non-FOID holding Illinois residents who stop by and know nothing about Illinois laws allows them an easier time to sort the people out.

But yes, it does make things much more impersonal, but I don't think too many people expect that out of a Cabela's.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I was in there last week for the first time in quite a few weeks and noticed the post & rope stanchions across the length of the gun counter. I didn't see a sign but the set-up would keep someone from stepping up to the counter without stepping over/under. It did seem kind of odd and unfriendly especially since there was hardly anyone in there.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I've always just opened the cabinets in the gun library to look at whatever, the locked cases are the "high end" don't touch stuff.
    Not that I'll go back...

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Yea, the ropes kind of flip my off switch. I have not been in there since they put them up. When I go in to pick up my M&P 9c that I bought from buds, if they ask why I purchased elsewhere, I think I will just turn and point to the ropes and say "those turn me off".

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    yep, i go there often and still confused, i can not find the ammo that i need because they move it around so much that is always in different place, yes the prices are higher that any other guns shop around, they usually put that step line when they get busy, some times is not there, yes you always have to catch some guy if you have any question and you talk to one and he try to get somebody else that will come in about 10 minutes or more later , and if you purchase a gun the process take way to long i been there more than an hour just to get them to call and find out that i was put in hold, the only way you can get there faster is if you already know what you want and go straight for it to the counter, and yes they show you the gun and put it back inside of the display, you don't get friendly assistance and to make it worse i not even get any of the promotional trucks in December, so that blow, so far i have not been there this year, but it is exactly as you describe, but you are not the only one confused.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree, the ropes are for high traffic times. Christmas was VERY busy for them.

The prices can be high. Wait for a sale, you can get a good deal.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lake County, Town of Munster
    I agree, the ropes are for high traffic times. Christmas was VERY busy for them.

The prices can be high. Wait for a sale, you can get a good deal.

I was there a couple days ago when they had that rope thing. I didn't read the sign at the other end. I just looked at the rope, wondered why it was there, ducked under it, and appeared at the gun cases! :D I am a young guy to, they didn't yell at me for it haha.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    Why does the OP keep hating on Lowes :dunno: I go there all the time and find all sorts of useful stuff at good prices. I have been to the Cabela's in Hammond. Didn't see anything at a good price.

Top Bottom