• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BBQ GURU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    North Side of Indy
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking for a way to secure a few pieces. I don't have youngsters around, but would like a little piece of mind when storing a couple guns that have a lot of sentimental value, if not monetary value. I've had a lot of success buying things used on Craigslist, especially tools.

I want a dial combination lock, but I'm a little paranoid about buying somebody's safe, and having somebody else out in the world know the combination. I know you can pay a locksmith to change combinations, but is it something that can be done yourself?

Also, what are some safe dealers in the Indianapolis area? I've heard it's a good idea to talk with them and see if they have any used or scratch-n-dent options.

Thanks!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    big :+1: on the scratch and dent option! My roomate got his safe from a scratch and dent shop and saved a ton of money. You can hardly even notice the two very minor flaws. He got way more safe than he thought he was going to for the money he spent! :D Good luck with you decision :ingo:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    A lot of the scratch and dent safes that I have been checking out are really just a paint scratch or a small ding on the side. It is probably the route that I will go myself.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    A good locksmith can alter dial lock combinations I can't see it costing over one hour labor. With a safe you would most likely have a service call also. Working guns can have more flexibility than sentimental value . For those I have a locking bar that I use to secure them from my kids and quick thieves. like the ones in the sheriffs office in the cowboy movies but made of steel.

I had to have a locksmith unlock a old office type safe once after a friend passed on. It was a old safe and believe it or not he was in in less than 90 minutes. Unlocked with the code for me and a quick I didn't want to see whats in it, in Indy the one I used was on meridian street avout 10 th on the east side of the road.

We drank beers his sister and I and opened it to find his year book 400 in cash and a pair of matching high power pistols. Some of the normal insurance and truck title paperwork, passport and 3 arrowheads. and a six pack of billy beer.

I would just look at craigs list. You want a rated fire safe also. if you are willing to go small there are used safes available The 12 -24 gun safes come up for sale used, The larger ones never seem to leave the place the safe company places them. Once you own a quality safe you normally don;t sell it unless you run out of space.

ImGumbyD@mIt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Lafayette Area
    Changing the combo is pretty easy, all you need is a change key and you can pick them up for less then $10. You do need to know what make the lock is and how many wheels it has. You should not have any problems finding all the info you need on the net. here is an example:Change Instructions 3 wheel

kennys_67

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Owen County, Indiana
    try this, I seen it earlier today
    Date: 2010-05-22, 2:17PM

Gun Safe-
    Bolts to ground
    10 Gun
    $179.00