• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Now that in-stock revolvers at less than MSRP are nothing more than a distant memory, it's time for a question: What is YOUR new production pick for a .357 that will last for life and do just about everything you could want a .357 to do? That means high long term reliability, not picky with ammo, and of a reasonable barrel length that won't have women asking if that's a Python in your pocket or you're just happy to see them.

I kinda lean toward the Ruger GP100 3". I like the chunky overbuilt nature of them, the rubber and wood grips look really neat, and the 3" trims a bit of carry length and weight. What do you think?

I have a stainless 4" that I bought to give as a gift. It never made it to the intended recipient!
    Great wheel guns.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    That 5 round business is a dealbreaker to me in a revolver that size.
    I hear ya. But there's not much I can do with 6 that I can't do with 5, and I've come to terms with it.

I have a Speed-Six in .357 with a 2 3/4" barrel. It weighs considerably more than the SP101...almost as much as my 4" GP100. For my purposes when carrying a revolver (primarily backpacking in the woods) I'd much rather save the weight than have the extra round. The 5-shot cylinder is also narrower and carries significantly better than the more bulky Speed-Six, or even a K-frame. You can go too far the other way, too, though...the airweight .357 snubs are just brutal to shoot and hard to be accurate with. I've found the SP101 to be a good balance between the two.

I've also looked at the Kimber K6S...they offer it in a similar 3" form-factor to my SP101 but they've squeezed in that 6th round. It seems like a nice revolver, but quite a bit more money than my Ruger, not to mention I already have the Ruger and shoot it well. There's just not enough there to convince me to make the change...but if I didn't already have the Ruger I might have gone that route.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Now that in-stock revolvers at less than MSRP are nothing more than a distant memory, it's time for a question: What is YOUR new production pick for a .357 that will last for life and do just about everything you could want a .357 to do? That means high long term reliability, not picky with ammo, and of a reasonable barrel length that won't have women asking if that's a Python in your pocket or you're just happy to see them.

I kinda lean toward the Ruger GP100 3". I like the chunky overbuilt nature of them, the rubber and wood grips look really neat, and the 3" trims a bit of carry length and weight. What do you think?
    My personal choice for a .357 revolver is Korth. Specifically, this one -

Korth Mongoose

For a more modern take on the same thing, I would go with this version -

Korth Ranger

I won't get a .357mag, tho. Long time ago, I went .327FM, and have stuck with that. My favorite is the Ruger Single Seven, and my carry is the SP-101.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    7EC80490-9922-4D10-B09A-E7501445DCC7.jpeg
    Pulled this out of the safe last week.
    Got it back in 1992, I once had a S&W 686 that I loved but one day sold or traded it, I cannot remember.
    I also had a Ruger New model Black Hawk I gave my son when they moved to Washington Indiana.
    Duh I gave him all my .357 ammo at the time and have no rounds for this as new Smith.
    Somebody is sending me (6) rounds in case I ever need to use it. I wish I still had the 686.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have a number of .357s. If I could only have one, it would be my 3" barreled SP101. It's built solid enough to last forever, enough sight radius to be accurate at distance, and heavy enough to comfortably shoot all day even with hot magnum loads, yet short and light enough to easily carry and conceal.
    I have a 3" SP101 in .357 magnum and it is easily my favorite 5-shot revolver...and what 92FSTech says is true!
    Ruger revolver's have several grip options available to fit the variety of hand sizes out there.
    The Ruger front sight is pinned-in and can be replace with a Tritium front sight, or other, for low or no light shooting.
    It's light enough to CC all day and yet offers enough weight to mitigate heavier loads very well!

8L6oo9N.jpg

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    686 4" for the win (pre lock).
    Do everything.....that to me means deer legal.
    So 4" is the min bbl length...
    Prefer 6" w irons but can run a 4" to 50 yards...
    I picked up a stainless 5" Ruger GP100, Davidson's Special a few years ago, just to split the difference between the 4" and the 6" models...better powder burn and increased velocity and accuracy at distance than a 4" barr while avoiding the nose weight of the 6" barrel.
    The 5" GP100 has been the right length for me for overall balance as well as accuracy...
    So far...still lovin' the 5"-er ! ! !

flylo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2017
    decatur
    Go big or go home, last year I bought a pair of 6.5" 454 Casull Raging Bulls new in stainless that will run 45 Long colt for $450ea NIB. They had shorter but 6.5" is perfect for dual shoulder holsters & bear. Here's a 22 year old Gun Test article, funny as it can be. They are ported, back bored but their double lock is the key. They are dbl/sng action & havent changed a thing since this 22 year old article. now you can get way hotter ammo 2100fps & 2100 ft pds. https://www.gun-tests.com/handguns/...too-much-power-too-little-real-world-utility/ Since then I bought the stainless Rossi lever carbine for $600 & will never sell any of the 3 as I can get mild or wild 45LC or mild or wild 454 Casull.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    What's your priority and realistic roll for this gun. There are plenty that "can" do it all, but each does something better than the others. Anything between a 3in model 60 and 5in Nframe are pretty flexible for most rolls.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    For SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, etc. nothing beats the Rugers (GP, SP, _Six) IMO because they are the only revolver that can be easily FIELD STRIPPED.

Drop the Ruger DA revolvers in muddy water, they can be disassembled without tools (a coin or knife for the grip screw) and cleaned. Can't do that with a Smith, Colt, etc. Remove the side plate and all bets are off.

For me, a stainless four inch Ruger is best choice. Action may not be as refined, but they are hell for strong.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive seen screwed up Colts, Smiths and even Rugers. Anything can fail. Or have manufacturing defects.

Ruger castings mean bulk. For a carry rig thats added nonsense IMHO.

The grip angles dont work for me either.

But, if they work where others dont, I can see that being the deciding factor.

Top Bottom