• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Beer and brats with The Guyz almost always gets around to guns and knives. Last night it was: Do you buy Chinese knives? Why? It goes without saying, there was very little middle ground. Opinions ran from: "Hell, no! Those commies would do us in a second if they thought they'd win".; to "Sure, if the price is right, they're making some good quality stuff now". Things stayed polarized until the brats were ready and the topic changed to kraut and/or onions? How does buying Chinese work for you?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I use Chinese knives at work. They last a couple weeks per sharpening against cardboard boxes, copper wires, prying battery caps, and other general abuse.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I bought a Spyderco Tenacious for 20 bucks once. Its the folder I bring with me if I have to fly because I would be super mega shat storm pissed with TSA if they swiped my locked otterbox from my bag and it had an expensive knife in it

Overall though I don't buy Chinese. If i bought a folder to use its going to get used. A $600 knife isn't above cutting boxes

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    It's very difficult to avoid. I do not search out "made in China" goods, but from where I am typing this I can see a dozen things that were most likely made in China, due primarily to price but secondarily because there is no longer anyone in the US making the item. I'm in manufacturing as a career, and I've been working like hell to show the benefits of insourcing and buying local for years. In many cases I've been successful; in some I haven't. For specialty items I'm buying the item not the source of origin, but when it's possible to buy something made here over a product made elsewhere, I surely try.

The knife I have in my pocket is a Kershaw Cryo that I have been informed was made in China. I have a few knives from Spartan that I'm waiting on delivery, and an ESEE 3 that sees a lot of use.

Here's one reference to use to find a US manufacturer of a particular good. Made in the USA Products Directory

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Made in China has always seemed to be a phrase not synonymous with quality. Times are changing though in terms of comparable quality. I'm not an expert, I'm just regurgitating what I've studied up on. Here's 3 known steels made in China and what they're being shown to be comparable to.

3CR13: A Chinese Stainless steel that is similar in quality to 420J2 (AUS 4) stainless steel. The following formula is a break down in the steel: Around 13% chromium and 3% carbon. It has a HRC of 52-55 making it relatively soft.

7CR17MoV: A Chinese Stainless steel that is similar in quality to AUS6 stainless steel. The follwoing formula is a break down in the steel: 7CR part means it is 7% chromium and the 17MoV means .17% molybdenum and .17% Vanadium

8cr13MoV: A Chinese Stainless steel that is similar in quality to AUS8 stainless steel. The follwoing formula is a break down in the steel: 8CR part means it is 8% chromium and the 17MoV means .17% molybdenum and .17% Vanadium

this was taken from here: A pocket guide to knives- Lexicon of Blade Steel

It has also been said that products made in china that were contracted to be made from US manufacturers will always be higher in quality than similar products made solely on China's dime. Also, don't forget about Taiwan steel which is actually a notch above Chinese steel from what I've read. Japan steel being top notch (unless you're talking about sv30 which is US made steel ?better? Than VG10).

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    This will date me, but when I was growing up "Made in Japan" was synonymous with poorly-made junk. Now Japanese goods are often viewed as much better-made than American.

Now we gripe about stuff "Made in China". Time will tell. Either imported stuff is getting better and better, or American-made stuff is, well... (with plenty of exceptions, of course).

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Not buying "Made in China" is difficult to avoid. I have in my pocket a Syderco Persistence, it is made in china and is a great knife.
    I try to buy products "Made in USA", but sometimes its just not easy to do. I have many knives made in Japan and China, some are good and some are not.

Last edited:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Right now Chinese goods are associated with bang for the buck, and the quality isn't always very high, to be put it kindly. For most of my purchases, I tend to want something a little better. That's not to say that Chinese good would not improve in the future, and in some cases you don't have a choice. A lot of Macs are made in China these days.

I'm not particularly worried about the politics or the potential hostilities. After all, China is the largest creditor for the US. We owe them a lot of money, and they finance our wars.

Caseythehost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2013
    South Bend
    Buying American doesn't guarantee quality.

I have no issue with buying from an American company who makes product in China. If they have solid quality control, there should be no issue.

A Chinese company making and exporting to the US ... That's another story.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I make an effort to not buy anything made in China. With that said, it is almost impossible in this day and age to avoid it 100%...but I stick to US Made knives and guns and cars and tools anytime I can...even if it means paying a little more.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    IMO-Chinese made knives are like Chinese throwing stars, and about all they are good for.

USA made. CASE or KABAR are my preference. :D

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    This will date me, but when I was growing up "Made in Japan" was synonymous with poorly-made junk. Now Japanese goods are often viewed as much better-made than American.

Now we gripe about stuff "Made in China". Time will tell. Either imported stuff is getting better and better, or American-made stuff is, well... (with plenty of exceptions, of course).

I was just about to mention this. They even made a joke about this in Back to the Future. I bought, a few years, a "Made in Japan" Mdl. 1886 Browning rifle that was breathtaking in fit and finish, absolutely beautiful. I expect 10 more years of Chinese manufacture will yield the same. Until they get there, I'll stick with U.S. made.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I usually don't buy knives made in China because I haven't had good experiences with the steels they use, with the heat treatments that have been done to them.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I bought a "knock off" to a Buck 110. Can't kill the Chinese knife! Have to sharpen on occasion, wood and pivot still tight since 1988! The nylon case fell apart, carried in a pocket for years, and just found a Buck case to belt carry. Own Bucks(2) and all are fine knives. Many sold here are China made.

Gave my nephew a USMC Kabar "knock off", and besides the case, couldn't see a big difference. He uses it as an Eagle Scout, teaching others how to make camp chores easy, firewood (batoning) basic bushcraft, has had it for 3 summers, keeps going.

I have had some plastic handled cheapys, and other than opening an envelope, leave in a drawer. Don't want to lose a knucke or finger to weak locks.
    Try a couple, see if you have luck.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I think the point of maybe considering some of the new Chinese steel variants is that you're probably not going to want to buy a camp "beater" made from an expensive steel that might chip, or break and take a while to sharpen if all you have are rocks and the like to do the job. Big what if scenario there. By a "camp beater", I mean a knife that may have to be used for some heavy tasks.

As mentioned earlier (I think), we used to buy pocket knifes usually made of 420 and 440. If it was a "good one" it was 440C. The point is, the newer Chinese variants are comparable to AUS6 and AUS8 which is superior to 440C. There's several big name knife companies using the Chinese steel. So you can still find a beater at a good price with some decent steel and not be freaked out about punishing the knife if necessary.

I think there may be some confusion here and there in this thread regarding Chinese products and Chinese steel. The thread is regarding Current Chinese steel variants.

Of course, I'm aware of the need to keep our money in our country, etc, etc.

edit: aus6 and aus8 may not be superior to 440c. I may have overstepped, but the point remains.

Last edited:

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    In my opinion AUS 6 is DEFINITELY not better than 440C in any way. Some one has already commented I believe,on the lack of consistent heat treating,(Annealing,if that is the proper term)of the chinese steels. I agree that they are inconsistent to a greater degree than US or Jap or German.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In my opinion AUS 6 is DEFINITELY not better than 440C in any way. Some one has already commented I believe,on the lack of consistent heat treating,(Annealing,if that is the proper term)of the chinese steels. I agree that they are inconsistent to a greater degree than US or Jap or German.

I agree with you on AUS6A. I do, however, think AUS8A is a better knife steel than 440C for my needs. The 440C is probably more abrasion resistant and will hold whatever edge it has longer, but it's next to impossible to get a really thin, really sharp edge with 440C the way you can with AUS8A or even 440A.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    While living in the southwest I made friends with several knifemakers...440 C was commonly used with good results,but now that you mention it,they were usually heavier fixed blades..

RLC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Greenville IN
    I Buy "made in USA". Many great quality knives available here. I try to avoid anything made in china even if it means paying much more.

Top Bottom