• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    What is your take on bullpup rife/shotguns? Personally, every time I see one, I think it belongs on some cheesy Sci-Fi alien movie. What is the advantage to having the action behind the trigger?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Makes the overall length of the gun shorter while still having a stock that can be shouldered reasonably and a barrel of a decent length. One example where I think it can be an advantage is a home defense shotgun. If you want something as short as possible for easy maneuverability indoors, but you don't want to sacrifice barrel length to the point where you start losing velocity (not to mention the legal issues) then at a certain point you either have to get rid of the stock, or go for a bullpup configuration.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've fallen in love with the Tavor SAR--to me at least, it's got a nearly perfect balance (when loaded with a full mag) just behind the trigger. As I get older and the longer shotguns/rifles put more and more strain on my left arm, I'm appreciating that balance point more and more. An AK tires out that left shoulder/arm fairly quickly nowadays, yet the Tavor puts almost no strain at all into it.

The biggest drawback I've seen with bullpups is that a righty bullpup is NOT going to be fun for a lefty to shoot. Some are interchangeable left vs. right--many/most are not.

Many bullpups have a rep for sloppy and/or overly strong triggers as well--sometimes that can be overcome by installing a different trigger assembly, sometimes you can find a decent trigger already installed, and sometimes you're just going to be stuck with it as-is--depends entirely on the make and model, what options are available for it.

For example, I've fondled several different bullpup shotties, and the only one that actually felt good trigger-wise to me was a Radikal nk-1--all the rest felt rough, sloppy, too strong of a pull, or "yes"... And don't start looking at bullpups and try to compare them to precision long range/hunting rifle triggers. There lies disappointment.

If you like the ergonomics and get one with a "good enough" trigger, they can be lots of fun. IF. Otherwise, you probably won't be impressed or even interested in them for very long. :twocents:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    What's the point? Maneuverability while maintaining legality. Maximum barrel length at the minimum overall length. If you're in an organization not concerned with SBR legality, you can have meaningful ballistics out of a barrel not much past the trigger which is GREAT for close quarters.

It's just better packaging. Most rifles just have this big empty space (mechanism-wise) between the trigger and your shoulder.

The lousy triggers are a well-earned reputation. Most bullpups do not have as nice of triggers as conventional rifles. The placement does necessitate more and/or larger or more complex parts resulting in the not so great triggers most have. I can keep up with most normal folks with my stock Tavor though. Kel Tec is the exception, they put the sear and mechanism at the trigger with the long link to the hammer producing an excellent trigger.

Keep in mind most of the BP shotguns are of Eastern European manufacture and quality and the price reflects that. My thoughts on them are novelty/range toy. If you want something decent, I'd step up to *at least* a kel-tec or S&W. The Tavor TS-12 I'm not sure the place for, it's just huge. I like my Kel Tec KS7, kind of minimalist on the gimmicks vs the TS-12, KSG, or box fed Turkish BPs.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Yeah, what a cheesy Sci-Fi alien movie...

dh16-steyraug.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    What is your take on bullpup rife/shotguns? Personally, every time I see one, I think it belongs on some cheesy Sci-Fi alien movie. What is the advantage to having the action behind the trigger?

I figured out my take right after I got the chance to use one.
    They definitely have their place!

(Note: If it becomes the target of a ban by the mother******* ****sucking worthless pieces of **** otherwise known as "atf", some of ingo may deem them range toys that are not necessary anyhow.)

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    The only ones I would consider are the Kel Tecs, they eject down wards, so good for lefty shooters like me...My bucket list Bullpup is a Steyr AUG with the lefty bolt......hey, a guy can dream!.....

WhiskE TangO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Bargersville
    I go back and forth as well.... I thought about a Tavor.... then decided against it. I will say the new Springfield Hellion looks good and is really weighing on me!

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I've become a fan. I have a Tavor Sar with a 18" barrel that I love to shoot. It has become my camper rifle when we travel. Easy to get through the home with also. I wouldn't pay the full premium price for one though. Mine was on a Black Friday deal for under a grand and well worth it. Kinda cool to see a licensed Ukrainian version on the battlefield.

The TS12 is okay to shoot but that's about it. I got a little buyers remorse on that one. But it will push a lot of lead down range quickly and just looks like a blaster.

I'm looking forward to taking a Aug I got not long ago and getting it broke in to compare to the Tavor. The trigger on the Tavor is mushy but smoother than the new Aug. You also have more options for your forward grip with the Tavor.

Easy to shoot in a small package taking advantage of the benefits of 556 in a full length barrel. The Tavor is the same overall length as a 11.5" AR 556 pistol. Bullpups are fun and everyone should own one.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I have a Tavor. I got to shoot one at an event a few years ago, and shortly went out to buy one afterward. The main advantage is in a more crowded environment, you can still have a rifle (and the power of a rifle), yet maneuver in a compact space. (e.g. think "clearing a room")

But I bought one just because it was fun to shoot and different. Usually, I buy my "range toys" because they are different than what I already have. More fun that way.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I prefer my mag fed rifles to have the mag in front of the trigger. It's just something most of us have trained and become accustomed to. But if I was only allowed bullpups I would be ok with that too. They have their place. Get one 20211128_123915.jpg

Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    They have their place. I’ve had a RDB for a few years and have never had a problem with it. Trigger is heavy but you get use to it.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I have a Tavor SAR in 5.56 with a 16" barrel.
    It is a great weapon now that I have swapped in a Geissele Super Sabra Trigger and a Giessele Lightning Bow. Yep, it makes a huge difference and it is a great shooter. Super easy to shoulder and get on target from a low ready.
    You can see it here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/official-nfa-pic-thread.6284/post-8234344

You know what's not great about it? The weight.
    It is a friggin' heavy weapon. I love it but it is much heavier than any of my ARs. Not sure about the weight of an Aug.
    (This is definitely something to consider that has not been brought up previously in this thread.)

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have a Tavor SAR in 5.56 with a 16" barrel.
    It is a great weapon now that I have swapped in a Geissele Super Sabra Trigger and a Giessele Lightning Bow. Yep, it makes a huge difference and it is a great shooter. Super easy to shoulder and get on target from a low ready.
    You can see it here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/official-nfa-pic-thread.6284/post-8234344

You know what's not great about it? The weight.
    It is a friggin' heavy weapon. I love it but it is much heavier than any of my ARs. Not sure about the weight of an Aug.
    (This is definitely something to consider that has not been brought up previously in this thread.)
    You know how to make a Tavor SAR feel lighter? Carry a Tavor 7 or TS12 around for awhile!

desnifter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    USA
    The desert tech rifles shine from a engagement distance vs concealability standpoint. That being said my SRS (first gen) was the single worst firearm I have ever known. I had to send it in to DTA over 4 times before I finally sold it and never looked back. They seem to have had growing pains in their newer generations of semiautomatic weapons as well. Their guns may be better now, but I would never touch any of their first generation weapons with a 100 foot pole.

Top Bottom