• ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Also, make sure you get a current generation SSD, as the older ones are cheaper, but many do not support TRIM, and without that you will see MARKED performance degradation over time (assuming your OS supports it, which I would ::assume:: Windows-7 does).

Features:
    Micron MLC NAND Flash
    Marvell Controller
    SATA 6 Gb/s interface
    RAID Support
    ATA-8 w/ TRIM
    Self-monitoring, analysis, and reporting technology (SMART) command set
    Random 4k READ: 50,000 IOPS
    Random 4k WRITE: 30,000 IOPS
    Built-in EDC/ECC

Looks like I'm good!:yesway:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Features:
    Micron MLC NAND Flash
    Marvell Controller
    SATA 6 Gb/s interface
    RAID Support
    ATA-8 w/ TRIM
    Self-monitoring, analysis, and reporting technology (SMART) command set
    Random 4k READ: 50,000 IOPS
    Random 4k WRITE: 30,000 IOPS
    Built-in EDC/ECC

Looks like I'm good!:yesway:

Based on a quick google search of those stats id guess your using a Crucial C300. If you don't mind spending a bit (ok a lot) more money, take a look at the intel line. In our testing (as ZIL devices for massive ZPools, where speed is critical) they beat the everliving **** out of every other make/manufacture. Otherwise that is a beast of a drive and should serve you well.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    C300 is correct. It should suffice for my needs.

NewEgg order has shipped, so should be here Wed/Thurs. Case will be here tomorrow. FrozenCPU order is taking too long....
    Hopefully by the end of the week there will be an owl delivering some red and black paracord as well...

swtoombs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    Indianapolis - Southside
    1. What the heck are you planning on running with those high end specs?
    2. I'm a huge fan of liquid cooling and you can get a kit for pretty cheap

I’d just skip the win7 and instal OSX. It’ll run on a PC build.

Hackintosh ftw!!! :rockwoot: or just do what I do what I do and triple boot with OSX, Win7, and a varying linux distro

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Prime95 isn't a bad test to do. A lot of over clockers us it but it can show problems. I am building one for q friend right now and prime95 showed some problems. Now let's musts hope my diagnosis was right. RMAed the MoBo and should be back soon.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    my only recommendation is build the thing on the desk to make sure everything works first. then of course carefully mounting the mobo in the case. make sure all cables are ran neatly or even wrapped. other than assembling os install will be under 20-30 minutes with windows 7. after it is all done post some benchmark tests.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Looks like we are on pace to get a 40lb box from frozencpu.com and a 20lb box from newegg.com tomorrow!!:rockwoot:

This thing may get heavy....:n00b:

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    It's been a couple of years since I built mine. It is still somewhat powerful. Should you need some help with the wc, pm me and I'll try to help.

TriSLIH2O-copy.jpg

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    nod.gif

but a little less mobile:n00b:

I guess what I would really love some help with is doing all the stability checks and whatnot on the front end. I have never really done that stuff before, but really want to do this thing right and have some baselines before I start cranking on her. Prime95 and all that other crap.

This is also my first WC build, so I plan on doing some OC'ing as well....

Win 7 Pro 64-bit was tossed in the cart.

If you are going to use this for buisness, don't OC it, there is no reason to now-a-days, other than to say "hey look at what I did" ::):

What Motherboard did you go with? For high reliability systems I usually go boring and do an Intel board. Make sure you check your BIOS revisions BEFORE you boot up that nice expensive CPU, there are times that the board won't boot with a particular CPU model until it's been flashed to a certain BIOS level. yeah I know what you are thinking... "how the hell do I do that if I can't put my CPU in it??" welcome to the annoyances of building a modern PC!

Don't go overboard on Graphics cards... for biz use, most on-board video is overkill. if you want to do some "free time" gaming, pick up a G200 Nvidia series card, cheap and will do what you need.

With regards to RAM, get as much as you can afford (as long as you are going with a 64bit OS.)

As for testing stability, the only real way to do this is after you've installed your OS and any and all drivers. then load up a good CPU stress tester... and let 'er run for a few days.

Once you get the system just the way you want it, do the windows recovery thingy in Win 7... nice if you fubar yourself later to at least be able to quickly get back to a stable build.

Get a couple of External Hard drives if you are going to use this for your biz... get in the habit of backing up your data EVERY day. I don't know how many businesses I've seen have a melt-down due to malware and then say " I didn't worry about backing up my data because I have the latest, greatest system!" Keep one of the Ext. drives off-site, if you, god forbid have a fire or something, you need your data back.

I have personally build over a thousand computers in the last 15 years, and I am now a Network Administrator at a branch of a billion dollar company. I do have an idea of what I am talking about. :D computers and networks I know... guns and marksmanship, well I'm learning those!

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    SSD as your boot/application drive with a large raid array for long term storage. No point storing lots of data on a SSD, it just sits there eating up space that could otherwise be used for more [game|software|whatever]. Make sure you raid your main storage though as a corrupt hard-drive will take everything with it (happens a LOT more than we would like to admit :/). Raid != backups, but thats another story.

Also, make sure you get a current generation SSD, as the older ones are cheaper, but many do not support TRIM, and without that you will see MARKED performance degradation over time (assuming your OS supports it, which I would ::assume:: Windows-7 does).

Windows 7 supports SSD's and TRIM natively... just have to check it.

do some research on the website of the manufacturer of the SSD.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    It's been a couple of years since I built mine. It is still somewhat powerful. Should you need some help with the wc, pm me and I'll try to help.

TriSLIH2O-copy.jpg

do I see some water going to your board?
    This actually looks very similar to what I will be doing, 'cept for the redonkulous SLI setup.:rockwoot:

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    If you are going to use this for buisness, don't OC it, there is no reason to now-a-days, other than to say "hey look at what I did" ::):

What Motherboard did you go with? For high reliability systems I usually go boring and do an Intel board. Make sure you check your BIOS revisions BEFORE you boot up that nice expensive CPU, there are times that the board won't boot with a particular CPU model until it's been flashed to a certain BIOS level. yeah I know what you are thinking... "how the hell do I do that if I can't put my CPU in it??" welcome to the annoyances of building a modern PC!

Don't go overboard on Graphics cards... for biz use, most on-board video is overkill. if you want to do some "free time" gaming, pick up a G200 Nvidia series card, cheap and will do what you need.

With regards to RAM, get as much as you can afford (as long as you are going with a 64bit OS.)

As for testing stability, the only real way to do this is after you've installed your OS and any and all drivers. then load up a good CPU stress tester... and let 'er run for a few days.

Once you get the system just the way you want it, do the windows recovery thingy in Win 7... nice if you fubar yourself later to at least be able to quickly get back to a stable build.

Get a couple of External Hard drives if you are going to use this for your biz... get in the habit of backing up your data EVERY day. I don't know how many businesses I've seen have a melt-down due to malware and then say " I didn't worry about backing up my data because I have the latest, greatest system!" Keep one of the Ext. drives off-site, if you, god forbid have a fire or something, you need your data back.

I have personally build over a thousand computers in the last 15 years, and I am now a Network Administrator at a branch of a billion dollar company. I do have an idea of what I am talking about. :D computers and networks I know... guns and marksmanship, well I'm learning those!

Board is an ASUS. Had great luck with them over the years.
    I wanted some extra grunt in the GPU area to assist in CAD and video/photo editing. I'll check in on the latest games every now and then...I know I grabbed way more than I need in all areas, but I don't like doing stuff twice....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom