• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Or two feet of snow on your plastic roof. You'd have to stay out in a snow storm and sweep the snow off or it would collapse on itself.
    Good idea though if sturdier materials were used.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, keeping it mind the article says its being used in mountains, I'd say the local water table is going to have huge impact on if this will work for you or not. If I tried to dig deep enough to be useful on my land in Scott County I'd end up with a very small pond, not a greenhouse, unless I built it into the side of a hill.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    For a guy who dug quite a few feet in the "wettest" part of his land looking for a well and hit darn close to nothing, this is a nice consolation prize :):

Nice find! Rep inbound!

1forguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    very interesting, however the guy with the camera needs to work on his filming skills, as they are little to be desired to say the least. I have a nice hill that I could eventually see one of these in, provided the sandstone lets us dig.....

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Another item to include in such a green house would be some 55 gallon drums of water throughout painted black to keep some of the suns heat inside the growing area...

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Or two feet of snow on your plastic roof. You'd have to stay out in a snow storm and sweep the snow off or it would collapse on itself.
    Good idea though if sturdier materials were used.

This is where used/recycled sliding glass doors/storm doors/windows come in handy. I've seen above ground ones built like that, you basically get your hands on as many junk sliding glass doors/storm doors/windows as you can (contact local installation places and ask what they do with ones they haul away from customer's, offer to buy them cheap if you have to) and then build custom framing for them... would be even easier to do on this underground one.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I would think the ground mass around the growing area is what insulates it and keeps the heat in... Glass doors on the top would keep up longer than the platic he was using in the video...

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The water barrels would be redundant with the moisture in the ground.

The only issue I'd be worried about with recycled plexiglas storm windows and doors set at that kind of severe angle would be hail and heavy rain, and if it's under a nut or fruit tree, those nuts and heavy fruiting loads falling on them.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    There may be plenty of moisture in the ground, but the black 55 gallon drums of water would be a backup for moisture and more for keeping the sun produced heat in the growing area I would think...

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    There may be plenty of moisture in the ground, but the black 55 gallon drums of water would be a backup for moisture and more for keeping the sun produced heat in the growing area I would think...

The barrels also absorb heat during the day and radiate it at night. While yes ground temperature remains relatively stable and warmer at depth... when you carve a giant hole out and only have a plastic roof, it's not going to stay as warm as if it was a natural cave for example.

Depths below 4ft are going to be 50-55F... that's if you stick a probe 4ft down into the ground... you go creating a natural canyon and while you are going to have some warmth compared to surface winter temps it's probably not going to be 50-55 still. That plastic roof is going to lose heat, as is your entry into the green house. The barrels are just going to help keep a warmer temp.

Top Bottom