• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I know ways to make magic flames without lighters or matches add stuff called wood..... keep ya warm and cook your food. Im calling it a "fire" (patent pending)

"this fashion crap makes me wanna puke" Cant remember the movie and who said it but it wasnt me.....lol

Ok but 4 real. if ya want a quick fix.... you can use a coffe can with slits in the sides ... turn it upside down over a good candle. you can use basic threading to weave a wick and reuse the wax to make a new candle. this can be done mulitple times. I spent time homeless as a teen. this works well indoors and is descrete. you can also cook beens or soup outside, Just place metal pot (with metal lid) on a hot rock in the sun on a hot day. takes 9-10hrs or so just like a slow cooker. but its good eatin

buy a dutch oven! you wont regret it when you need it. in the morning you can put the lid of the dutch in you old fire coles and use it like a skillet to cook breakfast. then dig a small hole and cuver the dutch with the remaining hot coles to make soup or bread or what ever.... should cook in an hour or so or get a wire and hang it over a fire... these things are good for tons of things if your creative.

Last edited:

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Space Turtle,

Agreed traditional fires are the best, but sometimes counting on being able to make a traditional fire is impossible, either because of weather conditions or lack of combustable materials in the immediate area or time restraints, in which case a camp stove or backpack stove comes in real handy.

But yea the tradtional fire route is the way to go if at all possible, as they are much more enjoyable.

I have actually tried the candle method before, it works pretty good to warm up cans of beans, chili, spagettios or soup, but I would not count on it to beable to boil water for safe drinking purposes or to properly/safely cook small game or fish.

But I have never tried the hot rock in the sun on a hot day, but the next time the temps are in the 100's & it's a blistering hot day I'll crack an egg on a dark rock and see what happens, if nothing else maybe I'll get a few giggles out of the experiment.

Anyway I agree that dutch ovens are the shiznit, apple fritters made in a dutch oven are little nuggest of heaven, but I think a dutch oven would be a little on the "too much" side for putting in a bug out bag.

Aluminum or titanium cookware is awhole lot easier to carry around on your back then cast iron is but if you've got the space in the car/truck for it, then by all means pack one!

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I have a family so a bug out bag is not my 1st thought. I have a bug out closet...lol with things I can quickly put in my truck. food, water, and survival gear. But sure If all you have to worrie about is yourself. Thats an awsome Idea.

The all day soup really works. Great for cooked leftovers, vegies, noodles and such. I would not try this method using raw meats. And I have cooked eggs with the candel and a can...lol Great for can soups and beans.... for great beans dont open the can till its hot...it kind steams in the flavor.... In a survival situation. cooking fuel will die out fast. the is down to the simple way of doing things.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Space Turtle,

Very true, the cooking fuel will need to be replenished once it's all been consumed.

But then again most of these BOB's are only designed to provide a 72 hour "emergency" buffer, after which it'll be neccessary to reaquire fresh supplies.

I like the idea of your "emergency closet" though, every home should have one of those!

Top Bottom