Buddy is convinced that CZ is the best pistol on the market...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I can completely dismantle a 1911 down to the frame/slide in pretty short order with just basic tools.
    The reassembly after a complete cleaning is not near as tedious at least for me.
    The design differences are amazing.

Yup, the CZ is a different animal than a 1911. I have no problem doing a complete disassembly on a 1911 just for a good thorough cleaning, but would never do a complete disassembly on a CZ unless it was for a major rebuild. Heck, sometimes it's fun to take every last bit out of a 1911 just for the fun of doing it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yup, the CZ is a different animal than a 1911. I have no problem doing a complete disassembly on a 1911 just for a good thorough cleaning, but would never do a complete disassembly on a CZ unless it was for a major rebuild. Heck, sometimes it's fun to take every last bit out of a 1911 just for the fun of doing it.

It sure is.
    That is the only downside I see to the CZ is the complicated internals.
    I have dismantled about every one I have owned and wow...........They are very intricate but man they work

Cola76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I can't say if CZ is the best, but they certainly have a solid reputation. I love my P07, and I am more accurate with it than any of my other pistols except for maybe my 1911.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    That is the only downside I see to the CZ is the complicated internals.

I think it depends on how your weird little mind works.

With CZ's there is a whole new thing to learn and you need to take advantage of advice on the internet & etc. . Trying to figure out how to do things on your own would make you crazy.

After having disemboweled and Cajunized 3 or 4 of them they seem pretty simple and it has been just 'put it together and it works' .

1911 triggers were never simple for me or fun to work on. The concepts are simple enough but the implementation was always a pain in the arse. You see big name and high dollar custom 1911's have issues with doubling and etc. , so it ain't just me, I think Les Baer has the right idea , don't try to go under 4 lbs and make it crisp.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    This was the 5th or 6th.................:)

I can do it just fine. I have to put my re-memory hat on and dial it in. As the wizard says, hold your mouth just right or you will those the Mother blah blah spring.
    I almost did....:):

Ohhhh don't forget the dental pick to put the blah blah spring back in! I think you CZ guys know what blah blah spring we are talking about!

I didn't have a problem with the spring because my YouTube powers are strong. The one I had the problem with is that other little bitty piece on the right side that hold the ambi safety in. It fell out on me the first time while I was working on other areas. Get done with getting all the pieces in their respective little baggy based on where they came from (yes I am anal that way on the first tear down). Get everything put away and "What the hell is this from? I wonder if one of the kids left it here? It is way to small to be a gun part? Wellllll there was that one part by the blah blah spring. Lets look online? WOW these pictures suck? I cant tell if it goes by the trigger or on the side of the frame?"

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The only part of the CZ platform I hate dealing with is the mag release spring/lifter spring retainer. I don't like parts that get staked in. It's not like in an AR where the parts being staked are easily replaceable, but the frame itself that gets staked on a CZ. Oh, and the pre-B safety detent. I've had to chase several of those and in each time, the gun gods were smiling and I found it across the room, in an open spot.

1911s are a breeze to disassemble and reassemble, but there's a lot more nuance to how 1911 parts are fit. Other than polishing, working on CZs tends to just be a matter of installing parts. No extractor profile/tension to worry about, no worry about fitting of the safeties when replacing the fire control parts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think it depends on how your weird little mind works.

With CZ's there is a whole new thing to learn and you need to take advantage of advice on the internet & etc. . Trying to figure out how to do things on your own would make you crazy.

After having disemboweled and Cajunized 3 or 4 of them they seem pretty simple and it has been just 'put it together and it works' .

1911 triggers were never simple for me or fun to work on. The concepts are simple enough but the implementation was always a pain in the arse. You see big name and high dollar custom 1911's have issues with doubling and etc. , so it ain't just me, I think Les Baer has the right idea , don't try to go under 4 lbs and make it crisp.

Oh I can do the CZ's it is just getting into that mindset. I do have a warped little mind and love to tear into new things....to a point.
    1911's are and have always been my thing.
    I agree with Les when one is carrying as to the 4# trigger. Crisp and clean. When running one hard it is tough to tell half a pound or more.

Last edited:

MC1983

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I recently installed a Cajun Hammer kit in my CZ, the part I had the most trouble with was getting the sear spring aligned while reassembling the sear cage. Once I got it together, I realized that I used the wrong pin at first and had to do it over again.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    CZ sear cages are not fun. Especially on the decocker (non-omega) versions. They add another spring to the sear pin and the pin passes through the frame, so you have to use a special slave pin and lots of patience.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    CZ sear cages are not fun. Especially on the decocker (non-omega) versions. They add another spring to the sear pin and the pin passes through the frame, so you have to use a special slave pin and lots of patience.

Have not played with that variation, sounds like I may not want to :) . Did buy an extra sear pin for my slave pin, the first time I tried to get by with a slave pin that was too small in diameter & it made me crazy.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    From what the Wizard tells me, the Phantom is the "most challenging" CZ to upgrade. Yeah, he may not have used the words "most challenging". ;)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My 40P was a breeze compared to my P01. Both share the same frame, but the fit on the P01 was much more tight and a PITA to disassemble. The P01 still has a minor decocking issue that I need to address, but just don't want to disassemble the gun to get to. One day though...

Now, swapping the decocker parts into the P07 or P09? It's about as simple as you could get, with only one difficult spot that's more a matter of shaky hands and bad eyesight.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    This deserves being bumped

2_zpserofufoh.jpg

gigitty

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I don't know about the cz being the best but they are very good especially when price is a consideration. They are great guns but mags are kinda expensive and holsters can be difficult to find in some styles. I like cz pistols mostly for the cocked and locked option and I like the fact that they have a safety without a decocker and a decocker only option for those that prefer it. I like the fact that my 75 operates very similar to my 1911s that I have used for years and 2 of my cz pistols are set up with Sao triggers and they are great.

Top Bottom