• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    I went to a local hunting spot today and found a pretty decent 7 point buck dead in the ditch. All the velvet was gone and the inside spread was 14 inches. I'll probably go cut the rack off in the morning after I call the DNR for a tag. I'll post pics. Im not sure what killed it, looked pretty natural. I didnt see any visibal wounds. Its a shame, he would have been really nice next year.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    DNR may want to check the carcass for disease. This is in the new regulations book -
    Due to the spread of tuberculosis in deer
    in Michigan and Minnesota, the Indiana
    DNR and Board of Animal Health (BOAH)
    are monitoring Indiana’s deer herd for signs
    of the disease.​

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    When I was a little younger My Grandpa wanted to take me hunting. He said we will go out by one of the corn fields he was in the middle of picking. Told me to get out and walk down the side of the field and go around the corner of the corn. Said I might jump some down there. So I did, got to the corner made my turn and I almosted :poop: my pants. There was a nice Mass 8 laying there looking at me. Pulled the gun up, :scratch: doesn't look right. Lowered gun, Grandpa got me. He had been picking corn came across this freshly dead buck right before he had got him caught in the picker the night before. Propped him up and waited all night to get me the next day. Found a puncture wound on his belly, .22 size or so. Gangrene had sat in. Not sure what got him, it hit him from the bottom side up. I figured he might have gotten it in a fight.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    If he was in the ditch he was probably hit by a car. They can have incredible damage inside and have no visible wounds from the blunt force trauma of a car impact.Helped a buddy skin one hit by a car once. Meat was bad. It looked like someone had beat it with a baseball bat for an hour once we got the hide off.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If he was in the ditch he was probably hit by a car. They can have incredible damage inside and have no visible wounds from the blunt force trauma of a car impact.Helped a buddy skin one hit by a car once. Meat was bad. It looked like someone had beat it with a baseball bat for an hour once we got the hide off.
    I agree, given the location, I'm betting it was a car. Blunt force trauma can do INCREDIBLE damage, yet not show a single sign of it.

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    When I was a little younger My Grandpa wanted to take me hunting. He said we will go out by one of the corn fields he was in the middle of picking. Told me to get out and walk down the side of the field and go around the corner of the corn. Said I might jump some down there. So I did, got to the corner made my turn and I almosted :poop: my pants. There was a nice Mass 8 laying there looking at me. Pulled the gun up, :scratch: doesn't look right. Lowered gun, Grandpa got me. He had been picking corn came across this freshly dead buck right before he had got him caught in the picker the night before. Propped him up and waited all night to get me the next day. Found a puncture wound on his belly, .22 size or so. Gangrene had sat in. Not sure what got him, it hit him from the bottom side up. I figured he might have gotten it in a fight.
    WAT?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It may have been hit by a car but the ditch in question is 200 yards from the road.
    Ah, thats a different story. I was taking "ditch" to mean a side-ditch, right next to a road, which would be an odd place for a deer to lie down and die a slow death (normally how natural/infection/disease deaths happen). I would contact DNR and ask if they want to take any tissue samples for testing or anything.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    It may have been hit by a car but the ditch in question is 200 yards from the road.

I forget the name of that disease/fever that went through last year or so but they said deer got a high fever from it and a lot of them died in streams and water areas.

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    wondering if you let the land owner about the deer/cause of death if you called the dnr

The DNR ruled it had been hit by a vehicle. He said that some mortaly wounded deer can travel quite a distance before dying. This buck could have been hit on the highway or a county road, who knows. Yes, the land owner was present.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Prolly blue tongue [EHD] . They get a fever and usually go for water. Thankfully it has not been very prevelant this year.

Top Bottom