• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I am not familiar with these older guns. How much is ammo for something like that?

For new factory ammo, like PPU, you'd be looking at around 70-75 cents a round or so. The good thing about that is that it's noncorrosive. Surplus (corrosive) ammo can usually be found for 50 cents and sometimes less at shows and such. Wasn't that long ago that it was pretty common to find it for around 30-35 cents a round.

fleetdefender94

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2020
    Corydon
    Thanks. That seems like a significant increase in cost in a short time.

Since my interests are more in modern rifles, that is concerning. Has the price fluctuated much, or does it seem like this is the new normal price?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks. That seems like a significant increase in cost in a short time.

Since my interests are more in modern rifles, that is concerning. Has the price fluctuated much, or does it seem like this is the new normal price?
    The commercial ammo has stayed steady for awhile, but the surplus has been going up somewhat, but that's a supply issue. There was only so much available. If you reload, you can cut the cost of non-corrosive ammo substantially once you've made the initial investment. PPU brass is good quality and you can probably expect to get 4 or 5 reloads (at least) out of it.

fleetdefender94

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2020
    Corydon
    Thanks for the info. Reloading looks like an expensive way to work hard at a hobby that involves math and things that explode. But other than that........

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks for the info. Reloading looks like an expensive way to work hard at a hobby that involves math and things that explode. But other than that........

You say "things that explode" like that's a bad thing. :): Seriously though, it may not be for everyone, but it's a good way to shoot more cheaply (even with common calibers), and it allows me to shoot some of my old milsurp guns that are in less common calibers that you just don't always find on the shelf, or in stock online.

Top Bottom