• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    My buddy and I were doing some dry fire practice drills thursday night, the serpa holster worked like a charm all night until suddenly I went to draw my Beretta 92 and I literally could not get the gun out of the holster. I removed the holster from my belt and really put some muscle into it, still nothing (+1 for Blackhawks retention system) I ended up having to complete unscrew the tension screw next to the release lever to rip the gun loose. I called Blackhawk Friday morning and they are going to replace my holster.

Diagnoses: Apparently there is a small leaf spring located under the release lever that your finger hits to unlock the trigger lock. Customer service told me that very rarely this spring will come loose to cause the malfunction I had.

Nothing against Blackhawk, but this in my book is a MAJOR malfunction and I probably won't be purchasing another Serpa holster; to be honest this scared the crap out of me. Blackhawk's customer service saved them for my future purchasing from the company. I bought the holster over a year ago at the 1500 at first they were hesitant because I didn't purchase from them directly but it wasn't hard to convince them otherwise.

THANK GOD I wasn't going for the gun in a life or death situation

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    That would be very disconcerting!! It is a good example of why one should carry a backup gun, though. Glad this happened when it did, but it sucks that it happened at all.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    That is far from a rare occurrence with that holster. It is a well known problem with that holster design and Blackhawk continues to deny it even though it has been documented on several forums. On more than one occasion Blackhawk has refused to even answer emails or return calls for customers that experience problems, including military, contractors and LE. I know of holsters that have had to be cut open to remove the pistol after the lock fails.

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    It doesn't surprise me a bit that Blackhawk would try to cover that issue up. The Serpa is a mechanical holster we all know that everything mechanical will eventually fail. If your holster fails, youre toast. I don't want to introduce this possibility into my training (or reality) again. Regardless, I'm glad this happened to me rather than an LEO or one of our boys in the sandbox who has a higher probably of drawing from it. A back up gun is sounding pretty tempting at this point as well.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    I have a RAVEN holser that is just awesome..!!! Not sure if they make a model with retention or not.. But for my glock it is very flat, concealable, and comfortable..

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm sorry to hear about your broken holster, but glad that it failed during dry-fire and not when you needed it most.

Top Bottom