• ...and so much more!
  • redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hey Guys and Gals,

I have been reloading 223 for a little while and I just hit my first snag. I've been using Redding dies with no problems, but I just shattered a decapping pin and I can't figure out how to replace it. I've unscrewed the decapping rod, unscrewed the resizer ball and I had to use a pair of pliars to twist the busted pin out of the rod. I got the broken pin all clear but now when I go to put a new pin it it is all loose and won't stay in the decapping rod. I tried resizing and decapping another case and the pin just popped out (I was able to recover it and it was not damaged). Am I missing something here? How do I get the pin to stay in the decapping rod? Any help would be great, thanks in advance to all that reply!

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Take a pair of needle nose pliers and *gently* pinch the decapping rod clamp closed. Then, using the same pliers, insert the decapping rod into the clamp. It'll stay.

By the way, good choice on the Redding dies. :thumbsup: I just got my 26th Redding die set in the mail today. Would you believe it was 9mm?

Last edited:

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Andrew,

That worked, thanks so much for the help. I'm not sure what happened with the one case I was trying to resize/deprime. In any case, I pitched it so as not to break another decapping pin. I really like my 223 Redding dies and endorse them whole heartedly. I like the tool-less adjustment the most. Thanks for the help again!

indymadcaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    morgan co
    needle bearing from a U-joint is a GREAT replacement when you have no spare pin............not that I have ever tried it.......early 1970's gm u joint

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Andrew,

That worked, thanks so much for the help. I'm not sure what happened with the one case I was trying to resize/deprime. In any case, I pitched it so as not to break another decapping pin.

Most of the time, it's an off-center flash hole that grabs ahold of the decapping pin and pulls it out. I've only ever broken one Redding pin, and that was from a berdan primed case.

Glad it worked.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Another good replacement pin is to take a panel nail and use it for the decapping pin.
    Has to be a panel nail though, they're hardened as compared to a finishing nail.

Had the same thing happen with a set of redding dies, for my 25-06. Broke the pin. Couldn't find any replacement pins. Seemed like every website I went to was sold out. Called redding and they sent me replacement pins and 2 decapping rod assemblies, free of charge.

Was over visiting my cousin in Il, and he told me about the panel nails. Busted a pin on my 223 die, but it was an RCBS, and the panel nail trick worked like a charm.

Top Bottom