• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Today I attended my first ever firearms training course. I was a bit hesitant on the whole thing and what to expect but after the experience I'm very glad I went.

I attended the Utah non-resident CFP course put together by Dignitary Protection Group (DPG) in Terre Haute today. I showed up on time and there was a line out the door for finger printing. ;)

One thing I will say, Jim's version of "lite refreshment" is my kind of "lite refreshment"! :D Plenty of stuff to munch on or drink while your there.

Overall I loved the class! :rockwoot:I was pleasantly surprised at how full the class was, and that the class had a lot of a back and forth between the instructions and the 'students'. There was plenty of humor and even the ability to stray off topic on occasion, but we did stick to the curriculum at the same time, so win-win. Everyone's questions were answered even if they did stray off topic a bit. The instructions (Jim, Doug, and Aaron) did a VERY professional job with this course, and went above and beyond to make sure the course was safe, especially with real firearms occasionally used in the demos. Big kudos on this! I wasn't muzzle swept with a real weapon for the entire class :D

One thing I really liked was the guns and holsters available for use in demonstrations during the class as well as for looking at during breaks. This alone was nice as there were a couple of guns on the table that I personally was interested in purchasing at some point, and this gave me the opportunity to do so.

Also available where some small items for sale. I ended up purchasing a "surefire" style flashlight with some pretty nice features, and plenty of light!

So, in the end, would I recommend this class to someone looking for firearms training with the benefit of a Utah CFP? ABSOLUTELY! I had a good time in the class, learned a bit, and was very pleased with how everything was presented and handled. Good job guys!

-Clay

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    I was in today's class also. I'd be up for spending a whole weekend with Jim, Aaron, & Doug - they have a wealth of knowledge on firearms & how how the laws pertain to when something is "justifiable."

Clay - what was the cost on that tactical light you bought? I was at Gander Mountain this evenining & they seemed very high priced there.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    hehe, Gander Mountain - nice place to look (I went after the class myself), usually poor place to buy. Light was $45 w/ batteries.

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the positive comments! I make what can be dry material fun and interesting through the use of videos and interactivity. When people are laughing and having a good time, they learn the best.

In regards to spending a weekend with us learning use of force, you will have that opportunity as I will be posting details of our upcoming Force-on-Force course soon.

OC Pepper Spray, Expandable Baton, Knife/Counter-Knife, and more certification courses will also be added to the calendar in the next few weeks.

Regards,

Jim

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Just an update.

I have yet to be charged by the Utah BCI for my permit. I called today to confirm it was in process, which it is, or rather has been received. (I knew it had, it had a return reciept).

anyway, the woman on the phone told me I had at least another 60 -> 90 days to wait!!!!!!

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just an update.

I have yet to be charged by the Utah BCI for my permit. I called today to confirm it was in process, which it is, or rather has been received. (I knew it had, it had a return reciept).

anyway, the woman on the phone told me I had at least another 60 -> 90 days to wait!!!!!!

Wow! I was instructed by Utah to tell participants the state law of issuance within 60 days, so I do so. I am saddened (but not overly surprised due to the sheer number of applications) that it is taking so long for your application! :ugh:

Regards,

Jim

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well, if I remember right, isn't that 60 days from the time they process your payment??? They havent processed my payment yet, so they still have time if this is the case.

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    well, if I remember right, isn't that 60 days from the time they process your payment??? They havent processed my payment yet, so they still have time if this is the case.

That was not the way is was explained to us during the instructor course, but it appears to be that way from student feedback. So that is what I am telling folks in the course now. That is also the reason I suggest paying via credit/debit card so that you can see when the payment processes.

Thanks for the update!

Jim

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    boy do I feel like an idiot!

Im currently balancing my checking account and some how I missed the charge, but Utah BCI charged my account on 4/3/09. So somewhere around 6/3/09 I should have the permit. :) Oh well, guess I got worried for nothing.

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    boy do I feel like an idiot!

Im currently balancing my checking account and some how I missed the charge, but Utah BCI charged my account on 4/3/09. So somewhere around 6/3/09 I should have the permit. :) Oh well, guess I got worried for nothing.

Glad they processed the payment. I heard from another student and it seems they are running about a month to process payments and then 50-60 days to process the permit thereafter. I appreciate the updates so that I can share with the folks in class.

Regards,

Jim

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Just an FYI - I took Jim's class in Indy in January. My card was charged in Feb (I think right around the 15th) and have not yet received the permit.

Top Bottom