Breaking: Actor Robin Williams found dead in home.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    One of my favorite roles.

IFWT_Mrs_Doubtfire_Sequel.jpg

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The following is from the Huffington Puffington. Note the date, the time-span referenced in the story, and the date of death.

Robin Williams has checked into rehab for continued sobriety, The Huffington Post confirms.
    "After working back-to-back projects, Robin is simply taking the opportunity to fine-tune and focus on his continued commitment, of which he remains extremely proud," his representative told HuffPost on July 1, 2014.
    The 62-year-old actor is currently at Hazelden Addiction Treatment Center in Minnesota in a program aimed at maintaining long-term sobriety, TMZ first reported. He will remain there for several weeks.
    Williams has struggled with substance abuse since the 1980s. He previously admitted to cocaine and alcohol addiction and entered rehab in 2006 for alcoholism after 20 years of sobriety. He later told ABC's Diane Sawyer that his falling off the wagon was "very gradual."
    "It's [addiction] -- not caused by anything, it's just there," he said in a 2006 interview. "It waits. It lays in wait for the time when you think, 'It's fine now, I'm OK.' Then, the next thing you know, it's not OK. Then you realize, 'Where am I? I didn't realize I was in Cleveland.'"
    He admitted he once thought he could handle addiction on his own.
    "But you can't. That's the bottom line," he said. "You really think you can, then you realize, I need help, and that's the word ... It's hard admitting it, then once you've done that, it's real easy."
    Williams has been busy working on "Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb," due out later this year.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have heard it said many times that clowns often are crying inside. Unfortunately, this would appear true in this case. It is truly sad that apparently no one realized the extent to which he was in fact crying inside in order to choose such a response to his circumstances. While I am not in a position to speculate, my hope is that he finds peace and rest.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am saddened to hear this, especially reminiscing about his role in "What Dreams May Come", one of the few movies not based on fact to make me clear the dust out of my eyes.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I am saddened to hear this, especially reminiscing about his role in "What Dreams May Come", one of the few movies not based on fact to make me clear the dust out of my eyes.

Makes you hope he goes somewhere that the scenery is actually made of paint and he can see the people he misses.

The
    Fisher King was one of his darker roles along with Jeff Bridges and Mercedes Rule (sp?) as I recall. His mind ran a thousand miles an hour all the time, it seemed. Him on Carson with Jonathan Winters talking about Mork And Mindy was hilarious.

May God give rest and comfort to his tormented soul. I would have hoped for a better end to a man who made so much joyous entertainment.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Man, it's hard to read about this, my eyes got all sweaty. I remember Mork from Happy Days, even before it was its own show. I was reading some biography earlier, and He and Christopher Reeve were the only two accepted one year to John Houseman's advanced program at Juilliard, so they were probably pretty close, but somehow I doubt Christopher Reeve needed his medical bills taken care of.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I also remember his debut on Happy Days.
    The temptation is there to wish "Mork" well, but no... in his "Reality, what a concept" album, he described why he did stand-up, because he wanted to do something different. I recall the line, "Don't have to "Nanoo" for a while!" Not only that, his body of work so far exceeds that one early role, it would be an insult to go back only to that.

It's interesting, the word "Goodbye", in that it comes from oddly constructed contractions of the phrase, "God Be with Ye".

I think I will simply say, "Goodbye, Mr. Williams. Thank you for more laughs than I can count. Godspeed, and rest in peace." It's not a line from any movie, it's just what I wish him.

Blessings,
    Bill

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is both sad and shocking. Shocking mostly because he was almost like the "immortal" actor/comedian. I can remember him from...well....about as long as I can remember. He was so talented. And it was pretty much a given that any movie he acted in would be good (at least to me). As others have said I kind of feel like a piece of my childhood is gone. It's a piece that I feel shouldn't be gone. Not now anyway. Not yet

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Only just heard of this on the news this morning. I'm still getting chills thinking about it. Here is a man that truly appeared to "have it all" - success, fame, fortune. This is a poignant reminder that none of that means anything if a person isn't happy in their own skin. A brilliant and talented person has been taken too soon. RIP Robin.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    As I listened to the news reports regarding Robin Williams, one of them mentioned that he had open heart surgery in 2009. That got my attention as very close friend of mine committed suicide after having open heart surgery. Prior to his surgery, he never struggled with depression, that changed after his surgery.

A doctor friend of mine told me that one of the side effects of open heart surgery is that it disturbs the body's production of a chemical that fights depression - might be oxytocin but not sure on the specifics, maybe one of our MDs could chime in. How this plays into depression varies from one person to another.

Just an observation for those of you who have loved ones who have had open heart or faced with it. Something to keep an eye out for and seek advice if signs of depression are noticed after surgery.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As I listened to the news reports regarding Robin Williams, one of them mentioned that he had open heart surgery in 2009. That got my attention as very close friend of mine committed suicide after having open heart surgery. Prior to his surgery, he never struggled with depression, that changed after his surgery.

A doctor friend of mine told me that one of the side effects of open heart surgery is that it disturbs the body's production of a chemical that fights depression - might be oxytocin but not sure on the specifics, maybe one of our MDs could chime in. How this plays into depression varies from one person to another.

Just an observation for those of you who have loved ones who have had open heart or faced with it. Something to keep an eye out for and seek advice if signs of depression are noticed after surgery.

That might explain a thing or two about my BIL, Mark.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is very fitting here

---

A man goes to see a doctor. Doctor asks what seems to be the trouble. The man says, "Doc, I'm depressed. Simply, I can't sleep sometimes, I can't eat, I feel down and irritable most days. I just can't feel 'happy.'"

The Doctor says, "I've got the perfect fix for you. In town tonight is the great clown Pagliacci. He's hysterically funny and will make you laugh til you cry. You will experience a joy unprecedented."

The man bursts into tears. The doctor, confused asks why. "Doc, I am Pagliacci."

---

hntrroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Winslow IN
    He was a real hero to lots of people. His style of humor and his very visual outlook on any situation was always refreshing and pertinent to the world and its condition. Such a devastating loss to the world. We will miss him. I just wonder if the flags will be at half staff for this great American icon. (sorry if that sounds like Im politicizing this sad situation)

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    This man touched most of our childhoods and brought joy to millions. I've been enjoying his more recent show as well. Patch Adams, Goodwill Hunting, the Dead Poets... somehow he could make a moment touching and hilarious at the same time.

He will be missed.

Top Bottom