• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokestack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Lafayette
    Sorry to hear that it happened. Did you have a security system at the time ? I have wondered from time to time if I'm wasting money paying those people every month to monitor mine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Truly sorry to hear this.
    I would wager even money you know the thieves. Or they know someone you do know. All to common these days. Sadly.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Nice neighborhoods tend to have nicer things to steal and the residents may be more lax because they feel safe there. I live in a nice apartment complex and I'm always keeping an eye out for suspicious activity or vehicles I don't recognize.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope the thief gets some juicy karma.

Base522

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    No alarm. We went to let all of our neighbors know what happened and noticed most either have dogs and/or security systems. Also, one house across the street also got hit last year.

Base522

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Serial Numbers:

Ruger LCP, two tone,
    SN: 374-81896

Sig Sauer SP2022, 9mm, w/extra 15 rd factory mag
    SN: 24B044066

open to other suggestions on what I can do to get these back. Mainly to get them away from people that shouldn't have them.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm sure it's little consolation, but your story prompted my to take pics of all my guns and serial numbers and stick them on a thumb drive for insurance purposes.

Base522

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I'm sure it's little consolation, but your story prompted my to take pics of all my guns and serial numbers and stick them on a thumb drive for insurance purposes.

That's great! I learned a lot. Definitely thinking differently and will be on my game going forward.

Sad to say but make your home the one they don't want to hit so that they go to something easier. (Alarm, dogs, lights, cars in garage-not in driveway, get a real safe and bolt it down, back up your files and pics on a remote site/cloud and ???)

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I'm thinking I need to make a note at work of these guns in case we get any used gun "buys" coming in in the near future

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry to hear that it happened. Did you have a security system at the time ? I have wondered from time to time if I'm wasting money paying those people every month to monitor mine.

I doubt a security system would deter a serious and determined pro. That said, I have a security system and figure that it'd be a deterrent to the casual smash and grab thief. That and two dogs. The few bucks a month is worth it to me. If nothing else, the thing would give me a few seconds notice if someone entered the house in the middle of the night. The combo of the alarm and the two dogs would completely ruin the element of surprise for the intruder.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    ...I had pics of serial numbers but they are on one of the stolen computers...

In addition to putting your inventory on a thumb drive (which can get misplaced), you can also email your inventory (with pics and serial numbers) to yourself. That way, if your computer is gone, you can still access the information.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . .Safe type really doesn't matter in this case since they got the key out of my other small personal safe. ...

Sorry about the situation. Will keep eyes open.

So, how did they get into the other "safe" for the key then, just pry it open?

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Thanks again.

No dogs. We did have 2 Akitas for nearly 14 years. Had to put them down 1 & 2 years ago. May be time to get another one. They didn't trash the house. Got the goods and left through the front door. Even locked it on the way out.

Thanks to to the mods for listing the guns is stolen. Will update with serial numbers ASAP..
    this statement when made to a seasoned detective is enough by its self to figure out a list of suspects quickly. They made it out with a lot of items, which means they had time. It took time to get in your small safe to get the key for the larger one, they didn't have to trash the house either to find these items? They knew you well and knew what you had and where you kept it, I wouldn't doubt they knew your schedule so they would have time for this. Hate to say it OP but in my opinion someone close to you has burned you badly. Don't feel bad, I know who broke into my home years ago, he knows I can't prove but disappeared shortly afterwards.....seen him once since then, I said hi and he took off haulin ass, he moved out of town asap, keep an eye out for the ones close to you acting suspiciously. Best of luck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    this statement when made to a seasoned detective is enough by its self to figure out a list of suspects quickly. They made it out with a lot of items, which means they had time. It took time to get in your small safe to get the key for the larger one, they didn't have to trash the house either to find these items? They knew you well and knew what you had and where you kept it, I wouldn't doubt they knew your schedule so they would have time for this. Hate to say it OP but in my opinion someone close to you has burned you badly. Don't feel bad, I know who broke into my home years ago, he knows I can't prove but disappeared shortly afterwards.....seen him once since then, I said hi and he took off haulin ass, he moved out of town asap, keep an eye out for the ones close to you acting suspiciously. Best of luck.

This was my 1st thought. Someone knew enough to get the goods. Had the time to lock the door.
    Do you have teenage kids. Just a question. Friends can case a place pretty quickly.
    Cousins, brother, someone else close to you.

I had an issue long ago and it turned out to be my drunken brother and another friend of mine. Got a few things back and the satisfaction of handing out a serious beat down. Never got over it. Never will.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    This was my 1st thought. Someone knew enough to get the goods. Had the time to lock the door.
    Do you have teenage kids. Just a question. Friends can case a place pretty quickly.
    Cousins, brother, someone else close to you.

I had an issue long ago and it turned out to be my drunken brother and another friend of mine. Got a few things back and the satisfaction of handing out a serious beat down. Never got over it. Never will.
    yea, I agree, someone definitely had an intimate working knowledge of your home and habits....assuming the op didn't leave the safes out for just anyone to see.....i wouldn't care to bet they even knew the key to larger one was in the smaller one....other wise why not just grab the smaller one and attempt a break in on the bigger one.....something tells me they knew the key was in there.....of course I could be wrong and at this point its just me playing "keyboard" detective at the moment lol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    yea, I agree, someone definitely had an intimate working knowledge of your home and habits....assuming the op didn't leave the safes out for just anyone to see.....i wouldn't care to bet they even knew the key to larger one was in the smaller one....other wise why not just grab the smaller one and attempt a break in on the bigger one.....something tells me they knew the key was in there.....of course I could be wrong and at this point its just me playing "keyboard" detective at the moment lol.

Most every break in I have known of but for 2 was done by someone with intimate knowledge either 1st hand or from a family member/friend. Sad as that is people just can not keep their pie holes shut.
    We have a rule here and have since my kids were very small. No new faces unless we clear it 1st. Does not always work but for the most part it has.

Base522

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    No teenagers. We don't have people over except for very close, long term friends and immediate family. Still only a handful of people. I assume that they pried open the other small safe since it was in there and I had the key for it on me. I'm not saying it wasn't someone we know but it definitely isn't obvious of who it might be.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    No teenagers. We don't have people over except for very close, long term friends and immediate family. Still only a handful of people. I assume that they pried open the other small safe since it was in there and I had the key for it on me. I'm not saying it wasn't someone we know but it definitely isn't obvious of who it might be.
    this is a long shot, and its very rare but if it wasn't someone who knew you well the only other explanation for a clean get away such as this.....they broke in once before and didn't take anything, just looked around and cased the place and got a feel for it....a "dry" run.....its hardly ever the case but if someone was able to pull this off they would have had to do an extensive amount if homework.....

Base522

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    this is a long shot, and its very rare but if it wasn't someone who knew you well the only other explanation for a clean get away such as this.....they broke in once before and didn't take anything, just looked around and cased the place and got a feel for it....a "dry" run.....its hardly ever the case but if someone was able to pull this off they would have had to do an extensive amount if homework.....

The only other strangers to the house in recent past was an appraiser who took pics inside. That was only a week ago. Not sure what to think.

Top Bottom