• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I took the Brady Scorecard numbers by State and compared them with violent crime rates by State. There's a bit of Excel work, but the end result is this:

bradyscore.jpg

The Brady Campaign keeps talking about "common sense gun regulation." Yet one has to wonder what's "common sense" about regulations that don't do anything about the problem they are supposed to address, namely violence. If you look at the chart, you can see quite clearly that increased gun regulation has little, if any, effect on the commission/attempt of violent crime (NB: crimes that were stopped in progress would still be counted in these statistics).

Now, I'm sure someone will grab onto the yellow triangles which do show a clear downward trend with increasing Brady score. However, that's a classic example of a spurious correlation. Firearms are involved in only 9% of rape cases (Bureau of Justice Statistics Firearms and Crime Statistics) and the difference is large enough that it must come from other causes. If anything, it illustrates how little "gun control" affects actual crime rates.

If one crunches the numbers, one can see a very small negative correlation between Brady Score and violent crime--very small. However, many random data sets will also have correlations. The correlation, however, is small and is not significant either statistically (the low bar) or practically (the high bar). The only one of those that has a "significant" (not expected by the random variations within the data) is the one for rape, but we've just disposed of there being a direct causal link in that one.

Thus, the available evidence indicates what pretty much everyone here already knew--that Gun Control has no appreciable effect on violent crime. But in particular, that the Brady Bunch's "common sense gun regulation" is worthless when it comes to crime control.

See also my livejournal page: coldservings

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Dburkhead your math and charts are 100% false. Please accept this cease and stop notice before the I6BO national police comes for you.

1) The common sense laws that work in the inner citys of Chicago off course will not work in the rural town in Iowa. That is why we need more common sense gun laws.

2) You are not using the approved brady database which required a $10,000 donation ot the brady campaign as such your information can not be correct.

3) Your conclusion mirrors what the NRA would say and we know that the NRA is for protecting criminals with guns and have no regard to gun saftey for children.

4) No matter what you try to say you are in the wrong because the Brady Campaign never lies, is trying to protect our children and has been stating the same lies... hum.. I mean truth for far longer than you have.

:laugh:

Top Bottom