• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I went down there to look around and notice they had a whole rack of Mosin 91/30's if anyone is interested. Sorry I didn't look at the prices, I was just surprised to see so many. The one that I picked up to look at was a Tula but most are probably Ishevsk's.

BD63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Stopped in there today for the first time. They were very helpful came away with a 91/30 now just can't wait to get a chance to shoot it.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Someone clue me in. Why is such a neat old gun so cheap. Are they junk or a PITA to use/own? Is 7.62x54r ammo so impossible to come by that no one wants one of these?

Nakatomi

Tactically Cool
    Rating - 98.7%
    76   1   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Someone clue me in. Why is such a neat old gun so cheap. Are they junk or a PITA to use/own? Is 7.62x54r ammo so impossible to come by that no one wants one of these?

There's just a bajillion of them. Russia stockpiled these pups from World War II and there are millions of them. Now that they are relatively useless as combat arms to a modern military, they are being dumped on the civilian market in large numbers, hence the low price.

The Soviets also captured many German Mauser k98's during the war, and stockpiled these as well. You will also see these on the market, although they command higher prices than the Mosins, around $300 or so usually. If you have a C&R FFL you can get them around $230ish.

If you hit the racks of Mosins, one cool thing to look for is filled in scope holes. Pull the bolt back and look on the side of the receiver for two fills. The best Mosins were used as snipers and had scopes mounted. After the war, many of these were refurbed and the scopes removed. The "ex-snipers" can have nice barrels and are a smidge more accurate as long as they haven't been counterbored and they're not worn out.

Enjoy!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    There's just a bajillion of them. Russia stockpiled these pups from World War II and there are millions of them. Now that they are relatively useless as combat arms to a modern military, they are being dumped on the civilian market in large numbers, hence the low price.

The Soviets also captured many German Mauser k98's during the war, and stockpiled these as well. You will also see these on the market, although they command higher prices than the Mosins, around $300 or so usually. If you have a C&R FFL you can get them around $230ish.

If you hit the racks of Mosins, one cool thing to look for is filled in scope holes. Pull the bolt back and look on the side of the receiver for two fills. The best Mosins were used as snipers and had scopes mounted. After the war, many of these were refurbed and the scopes removed. The "ex-snipers" can have nice barrels and are a smidge more accurate as long as they haven't been counterbored and they're not worn out.

Enjoy!

Cool, thanks for the info. What's the ammo availability like?

Nakatomi

Tactically Cool
    Rating - 98.7%
    76   1   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Cool, thanks for the info. What's the ammo availability like?

Bradis has tons, sealed cans of military surplus, I think like 400 rounds or so per box, and maybe $100 ish plus or minus? You'd have to call them, but the last time I was there they had many stacks left. It's corrosive ammo though, but just run some windex with ammonia down the barrel after shooting and then clean normally. Good times!

Bring a good shooting jacket though, the Mosin's have steel buttplates and kick like a mule :)

dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    If I remember correctly, the PK machine gun and the Dragonuv both are chambered in 7.62x54r. Both as far as i know are still in service in Russia, so ammo is still manufactured, and that means ammo for our Mosin's.:D some of the surplus ammo can run a little hot since it was made for the belt-fed PK machine gun.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I have been itching for something bigger than a handgun lately. Perhaps I will have a look at these things.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    This gun is second in number produced only to the ak. They are bolt action,and those have never had the legal/bad stigma issues of the ak.They generally shoot very well.The ammo is still incredibly cheap and around.It is a large caliber rifle you can shoot for 10 cents a round with some accuracy.They are very very addictive.Once you shoot one you will understand.There is just something about a cheap fun shooter with a 3ft flash when you pull the trigger.:twocents:
    They are FUN :D
    Oh they where made from 1891 to 1965. The 7.62x54R is the longest running rifle cartridge in existence.It is still being made for many Russian and other armies rifles.Including the Dragonov,PSL,many machine guns,and any number of other hunting/military rifles.
    37,000,000 Mosin rifles have been made from the Winchester ones,Russian,Polish,China,North Korea,Hungary and even the loved ones made in Finland.

Last edited:

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    You really cannot beat the Mosin in terms of value. Ive got three of them (M91/30 "hex" rec, M91/30 ex PU, M44) and would have many many more if I weren't currently in the midst of an AK addiction. In fact, they are so affordable that my relatively liberal (not vehemently anti gun though, I did talk my dad into a C&R license) parents bought me my M44 for good grades one trimester. Cant beat that!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Yeah... I think I'm starting to fall into the Mosin trap... Primarily cause it seems to be a big boomer for next to nothing. I don't have to save up my pennies for a year to afford one :)

Top Bottom