• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Marion County Fish and Game's Bowling Pins Match will be this Saturday, September 25th at 9 AM. Setup will begin at 8:30 AM and we would appreciate the help of a few volunteers. The Safety Meeting (required for new shooters) will be at 8:45 AM to explain the rules. At 9:00 AM, we will begin shooting. The cost is $3 per bracket for club members and $4 per bracket for non-members. All money goes toward the club and/or making the competition better. Youth (under the age of 18) shoot free with a paid adult.

If you are interested in shooting Pin Heads, bring your .22 LR's (pistol or rifle). In the event of rain, we'll shoot steel plates from the covered firing line. If you would like to receive future announcements about Bowling Pin Matches at MCF&G by e-mail, please send me a message at BowlingPinShooting@gmail.com and ask to be added to the list.

Bowling Pin Shooting is conducted under a COLD RANGE. That means all guns must be holstered (or bagged) at all times, unloaded, hammer down, with no magazine inserted. You may only handle your gun at the direction of a range officer (RO), or at the designated "safe table". Violation of this or any other safety rules shall result in a match disqualification.

Rules are posted at www.IndyRange.com: If you have any questions about the match, please read the rules posted at: www.IndyRange.com (look under "Programs and Events" > "Bowling Pins")

If you are unable to find an answer posted in the rules, please feel free to email me. Please let us know if you are willing to help as an RO, or as a scorekeeper for the match. Volunteers are the lifeblood of our sport, and of our club. With our numbers continuing to grow, we ask that everyone does their part to help the match run as smoothly as possible. Please be ready when it is your turn to shoot, help reset the pins, and volunteer to keep score.

Hope to see you on Saturday!

John Freeland
    BowlingPinShooting@gmail.com

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Reminder that there is construction on I-465 near Crawfordsville Rd. Last time I came south on I-465 the ramp to Crawfordsville Rd. was closed. As of last Thursday you could still exit onto Crawfordsville Rd. if you were traveling north on I-465. So you may want to look at alternate routes to the range.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Exit at 38th street if coming from the north, exit to Crawfordsville rd. will be closed till next summer

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Marion County Fish and Game's Bowling Pins Match will be this Saturday, September 25th at 9 AM. Setup will begin at 8:30 AM and we would appreciate the help of a few volunteers. The Safety Meeting (required for new shooters) will be at 8:45 AM to explain the rules. At 9:00 AM, we will begin shooting. The cost is $3 per bracket for club members and $4 per bracket for non-members. All money goes toward the club and/or making the competition better. Youth (under the age of 18) shoot free with a paid adult.

If you are interested in shooting Pin Heads, bring your .22 LR's (pistol or rifle). In the event of rain, we'll shoot steel plates from the covered firing line. If you would like to receive future announcements about Bowling Pin Matches at MCF&G by e-mail, please send me a message atBowlingPinShooting@gmail.comand ask to be added to the list.

Bowling Pin Shooting is conducted under a COLD RANGE. That means all guns must be holstered (or bagged) at all times, unloaded, hammer down, with no magazine inserted. You may only handle your gun at the direction of a range officer (RO), or at the designated "safe table". Violation of this or any other safety rules shall result in a match disqualification.

Rules are posted at www.IndyRange.com: If you have any questions about the match, please read the rules posted at: www.IndyRange.com (look under "Programs and Events" > "Bowling Pins")

If you are unable to find an answer posted in the rules, please feel free to email me. Please let us know if you are willing to help as an RO, or as a scorekeeper for the match. Volunteers are the lifeblood of our sport, and of our club. With our numbers continuing to grow, we ask that everyone does their part to help the match run as smoothly as possible. Please be ready when it is your turn to shoot, help reset the pins, and volunteer to keep score.

Hope to see you on Saturday!

John Freeland
    BowlingPinShooting@gmail.com

Ok, so after re-reading the post here as well as the rules on the Indyrange website it looks like you guys have updated the rules/classes but maybe not yet on the website?

In your post you state the .22 rifles are OK but on the website it states that may be a future provision and that currently only pistols are allowed.

Also wondering if you created the open class to include optics on the rifles?

**EDIT** Also, about how long does this run for?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Ok, so after re-reading the post here as well as the rules on the Indyrange website it looks like you guys have updated the rules/classes but maybe not yet on the website?

In your post you state the .22 rifles are OK but on the website it states that may be a future provision and that currently only pistols are allowed.

Also wondering if you created the open class to include optics on the rifles?

**EDIT** Also, about how long does this run for?

Handguns on the full size bowling pins.

Last time I was there they did two brackets of full size pins with handguns and one pin head shoot with 22 pistols.

We were dont by 11:30

My kids have one more weekend of soccer games on Saturday morning then I will start making it back to the bowling pin shoots.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You may use a pistol caliber rifle (PCR) to shoot full size pins or a .22LR rifle to shoot pin heads. To make it even, we add one pin to your table.

You may use optics on your weapons. Again, to make it even, we add one pin to your table.

So if you use a rifle with an optic you will have 7 pins on your table vs. 5 pins if your opponent is shooting a pistol with iron sights.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Wow... this was a LOT of fun and VERY informative for me. I definitely need to work on my accuracy and reloading skills.

So far as accuracy was involved, I didn't get through one table without reloading. There were several tables where I had all the pins knocked down with 5 shots but wasn't able to get them off the table with 8 shots. The 8 round per mag restriction is a HUGE player but with the number of revolver and 1911 users I saw I can understand why it's there. I also enjoyed quite a bit having the "pressure" opportunities to practice reloads. You can practice this at home a million times but until you do it with gunfire all around you, it's not the same.

I also had a double feed malfunction that took me at least 10 seconds to recognize and clear. I first did a tap n rack and didn't get it ( I didn't realize it was a double feed, the tap n Rack was an immediate response to a non BANG on trigger pull) so a mag drop, rack 3x insert new mag got the pistol ready for action again. Unfortunately (for me) my opponent cleared his table in that time.

All in all there were users of all skill levels there and I would recommend this event to anyone who carries a firearm. It was a great way to practice live reloads under pressure with gunfire still going (not just buzzer beating) and really shows you what your weaknesses are. Mine seem to be when the pins are down and only presenting an end cap profile. IE: when there's only a 2-3" target then I'm not nearly as effective. I need to work on that for sure!

All in all +1 MCF&G for hosting, +1 to the Range Officers who ran the event and +1 to all the competitors, it was a lot of fun and everyone was very friendly.

Unfortunately my wife had my phone so no pics or video from this outing. Maybe next month!

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Nice recap! Thanks for posting that. It would be fun to try a PCR with optic... 8 shots at 7 pins before reloading sounds about right :) The pins are placed on the table by caliber, regardless of class, right?

.22 class: "pinheads & patriots" :)

Top Bottom