• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I went out looking for a Beretta pocket pistol but came across a used mint Taurus PT-22. I held it next to a brand new one and couldn't tell any difference except the price. Mine was $85 less. For the low low price I couldn't pass it up. The only thing about the Taurus is it's DAO but I guess it's ok for a pocket pistol. One nice thing is it's made in USA! :popcorn:Does anyone have experience with these? How's the reliability?

dweezil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Fishers
    PT-22

I have a PT-22. Mine is reliable with ammo it likes(bulk federal copper washed and mini-mags). It didn't like the hyper velocity ammo tho - and Taurus recommends against it for this pistol.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    How's the reliability?
    I don't have any experience shooting the Taurus PT22, but my experience with small pistols generally is that the reliability varies among individual guns of a given model. I think the only way to really know is to shoot it a bunch and see what happens; you'll find a lot of comments online that say the PT22 is a "jam-o-matic", but others have had few problems. Reliability is also pretty ammo-dependent...that Remington "golden bullet" bulk stuff is terrible, while most CCI ammo is pretty consistently reliable.

I have had two Beretta 21A (Bobcat) pistols, which are similar. The Bobcat functions quite well when it's clean, but it becomes dirty pretty quickly (like within 30-40 rounds) and starts to have problems. A quick wipe of the feed ramp between each magazine greatly extends the number of rounds I can shoot between complete cleanings, and I suspect the same would be true of the Taurus.

At any rate, these pistols are SO easy to field strip and clean that it's no big deal to clean them at the range if you want to shoot more than a few magazines. For carry purposes, I keep mine squeaky clean...but then, I do the same for all my carry weapons, even the SIGs that never malfunction.

Good luck and enjoy the PT22!

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Have had one for about a year; no problems with Fed510b (Wal Mart cheepy rounds) or CCI Mini Mags.

Fires CCI Stingers flawlessly as well; Taurus doesn't recommend running though.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Had a couple different models and all shot ok. Berettas ok too, but more money for a mousegun. Fun to shoot pop cans or targets with cheap ammo.

dhisle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Union County. Indiana
    recently bought one for my wife at the 1500, she likes it and can put all of her shots into a heart sized area about 30-45 feet from target. slide is a menace, thank goodness for pop up barrel. it hit low to the left, found several burs in the barrel that might have been throwing the rounds off(have yet to shoot it after taking them out). also the rear lips on mag caught on slide and caused it to jam 50% of the time, carefull fileing with dremmel and polishing of the feedramp, and it feeds perfect! i understand that it goes against everything safe, but if you pull the trigger while jacking the slide you can actually work the slide!

klrbear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    I have a PT22 purchased new in '98. The firing pin broke within the first 400 rounds. I sent it in for repair (about 2 weeks turnaround) and it has worked fine since. I do like the tip up barrel.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Have one for my fiancee. It likes Remington Thunderbolts, (high velocity; NOT hyper velocity.) Feed it those and keep it clean, and it runs pretty smooth.

Watch out if you have big hands though; slide bite.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Had one for several years. The firing pin broke on it, after a couple hundred rounds. Sent it in under warranty, and had it repaired. Shot another couple hundred rounds through it, before I sold it.

One bothersome tendency was the slide popping off during recoil. My thumb would hit the barrel release lever and tip the barrel up, upon firing. Then the slide would fly off the frame. Happened a couple of times. Overall accuracy was good.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I have one. No issues with shooting, accurate for what it is and shots what ever. The slide is hard to pull back, but I found if you point it down and push with the "gun" hand and pull with the slide hand and do this all in one motion it does fine. Safety is hard to operate too.

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    Just bought one about a week ago. pretty much agree that its good with federal bulk and cci mini mags. I put 100 rounds through it and it jammed 2 times after the 60 round mark(fte). since there is no extractor when the barrel gets dirty it may fail to eject. the two times it happened it was on the last round. I bought mine new and even at the new price i still think its a great gun for the money.:D

I was very suprised by this gun after reading some reviews. But i couldnt be happier with it.

Top Bottom